the 100% directionless thread

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
So we're thinking of moving to Holland possibly.

Anjel

Forum Angel
And now for a lesson in complacency. Went to pick up a frequent flyer, routine dialysis transfer, and found an opiate overdose

Yup....takes you by surprise. I had that a couple weeks ago. But she was at a nursing home.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Yup....takes you by surprise. I had that a couple weeks ago. But she was at a nursing home.

It was an odd presentation, too. I think the only reason we picked up on it is because we know the patient and see him very often. I'm glad I was working with another guy who's very on top of his game.

Almost no respiratory depression, one eye is cataracted (I don't think that's a word, so if someone could educate me as to the right term that would be great) so there's really no way to see the pupil in that one, the other was very constricted, but not quite pinpoint. He's normally very out of it, but he seemed more lethargic today, and his systolic pressure was in the 70s, he had been given a script for vicodin after having a fistula placed a couple days ago. I suppose having next to no renal function increases the duration of action for most drugs?

We ran him to the ED, they gave him 2mg of naloxone and he perked right back up to his usual combative, profanity throwing self and he was discharged 30 minutes later.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Got a 911 cal today for "unresponsive CPR in progress". Arrive on scene and there is no patient. The patient wondered off according to the lady doing CPR. So we go driving around the housing complex trying to find him. He returns back to our original location.

Turns out his wife (the lady doing CPR) and himself (the patient) thought it would be a good idea to get wasted and do CPR on each other.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had one of those the other day. Dispatch said, "four-year-old CPR instructions being given". Arrive to find a 50-year-old male, opiate overdose, with snoring respiration's… No CPR in progress.

0.5 mg of Narcan up the snout, the guy was cussing and yelling… All was good.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
n7lxi, if you're in my mom's house then you're in my house! *looks behind me* I still live with my mom. :[

Rid posted yesterday. :eek:

I can't wait to work tonight!

bigbaldguy

We ran him to the ED, they gave him 2mg of naloxone and he perked right back up to his usual combative, profanity throwing self and he was discharged 30 minutes later.

ahh well....so you fixed him then. Such a pleasant sounding guy can't imagine how he could have ended up over medicated :)

adamjh3

My little sister got her wisdom teeth pulled today, she's all swollen and lethargic from vicoprofin. I feel bad for her, but it's still funny that she looks like a chipmunk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I've got to put away all my medical books and journals for a few months :( (well, they're basically being taken...). Stupid promotional test with boring material >=[ This is gonna suck :(

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I've done three back to back out of town transfers today...I swear, I might go crazy if I have any more tonight.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've done three back to back out of town transfers today...I swear, I might go crazy if I have any more tonight.

Welcome to my life on BLS :glare:

Normal for us is 3 out of town transfers roughly 2-3 hours one way.

bigbaldguy

Posting just to see the time stamp.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Looking forward to my trip to Austin next week. It'll be a short visit. Anything I *need* to check out while I'm there?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Looking forward to my trip to Austin next week. It'll be a short visit. Anything I *need* to check out while I'm there?

Just eat. Constantly. There is so much good food there! All mom and pop places :D I'd grab a beer with you up there but I'm working like crazy the next two weeks :(

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In a town of 70,000 people this weekend we are expecting over 200,000 more people over a 3 day period 2 weekends in a row. Talk about a logistical nightmare.

And of course the closest hospital to the event is also our smallest hospital.

Rough estimates last year were about 800 medical aids in the course of just 3 days.

Welcome druggies from all over the world with every drug you can think of from weed to acid.

adamjh3

Burning man?