the 100% directionless thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You heard it here first folks. According to a pharmacist I spoke with today wal mart apparently is investigating putting In urgent care clinics. The clinic would be manned by para medics.

Sasha

Forum Chief
With my new insurance, urgent care copays are less than PCP copays. $10 vs $20

I love me some urgent cares.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Its a miracle anyone survives codes in a hospital. Even in the ER, they don't know how to run it without ignoring BLS entirely.
The handful of codes I've seen, as well as participated in, in the ED have gone really smooth.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm falling in love with critical care.

The complexities of the patients is fascinating. It really requires some thought and I have learned so much from the docs, mid-level providers, RRTs and nurses in those units. It's driving home the fact that I want to pursue more education in science.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I finally have to start to get all my stuff to recert for EMT. I already have 45 hours of CE hours. I just looked online to see that we offer more then 300 hours of all online instructor based courses. Plus we also offer classroom classes that range from EMT Refresher to 12-lead interpretation.

Looks like I'll never have an issue finding hours and not having to pay a dime for them :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I finally have to start to get all my stuff to recert for EMT. I already have 45 hours of CE hours. I just looked online to see that we offer more then 300 hours of all online instructor based courses. Plus we also offer classroom classes that range from EMT Refresher to 12-lead interpretation.

Looks like I'll never have an issue finding hours and not having to pay a dime for them :)

Isn't working for an agency that is proactive about helping their employees wonderful? I see your free class and raise you my hourly wage for certs required by my agency for employment ;) well a couple of them, not all.

They just implemented a new airway course to keep us sharp as well as gain CEUs. Scenario and lecture based plus in the near future availability for OR time to get tubes. Also we are able to schedule time in the cardiac cath lab to observe catheterizations, tough though, it can be hit or miss if you see anything.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Isn't working for an agency that is proactive about helping their employees wonderful? I see your free class and raise you my hourly wage for certs required by my agency for employment ;) well a couple of them, not all.

I'm honestly not sure if we get paid to do the mandatory classes but I will find out since I have to renew CPR in a couple of months.

And yes it is so nice having all of that. Some of my friends are stressing about getting enough CE hours. I can get a max of 12 CE hours per day. So literally in 2 days I can have enough hours to recert for EMT.

Edit: Its also extremely bad that I am 19 and I don't understand any of the "text talk" except lol and lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm honestly not sure if we get paid to do the mandatory classes but I will find out since I have to renew CPR in a couple of months.

And yes it is so nice having all of that. Some of my friends are stressing about getting enough CE hours. I can get a max of 12 CE hours per day. So literally in 2 days I can have enough hours to recert for EMT.

We don't get paid for CPR.

Unless something has changed we do get paid for ACLS, I'm 95% sure we do for PALS as well. ITLS and NRP I'm not sure but I'll find out in two years. Word has it we are going to switch to something else. PHTLS or another option. Also NRP to something called STABLE? *I believe* don't quote me on it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I would do a lot for free online classes! We have free CE but you have to go in person and I spend to much time in the car as it is. Plus the prospect of a class immediately post shift isn't super. I did my refresher online, it was fine if a bit pricy.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Edit: Its also extremely bad that I am 19 and I don't understand any of the "text talk" except lol and lmao.
OMG, I thought those were the only two. :eek:

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Surgery today at 2. He is currently passed out asleep (and worrying the new nurse because his heart rate is low). He thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The penny cutting with shears as a "party trick" works in other countries too if anyone is curious. Ladies think they're getting a present or something.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sat in during one of the other instructor's classes last night for the basic class I teach at. It was painful to watch :( So much wrong information given, or things pulled out of his butt after being asked questions. I interjected a few times, but my tongue was bleeding from having to bite it so hard :ph34r:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's like EPS day :( I do not want to get old.