Students texting in class

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I'm curious if you people who feel it is ok to text and take calls in class also do the same while in movie theaters?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'll let people text in class.

I have discovered as a student it is a good way to discuss things with peers without interrupting the teacher or disturbing others.

When I am teaching I will probably ask them a fair question about the topic at hand, if they answer acceptably, no harm no foul.

If they can't, they usually get the point.

But I figure they are paying me for the time, not the other way around. If they have no interest in what I say, as long as I still get my cheque, I don't care.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I don't automatically have respect as an educator. If your good enough at education, students will put their phones away.

medic417

The Truth Provider
No problem as long as on silent, not vibrate, not low, but silent. If I feel they are causing a disturbance they are removed from the class with no credit for the day. They don't bother me but all the other people that are paying me deserve to be able to enjoy my monotone lectures.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I don't automatically have respect as an educator. If your good enough at education, students will put their phones away.

This. I was typing and deleting over and over. I just taught a 4 day series of continuing ed to medics who couldn't have cared less. They came back, every day, and didn't play on their phones after the first hour.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm curious if you people who feel it is ok to text and take calls in class also do the same while in movie theaters?

Yup.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Lol no surprise there

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've noticed that if students glaze over and start texting, I need to change things up because I've lost them. :/

It's happened when I'm delivering dry, mandated training. :(

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've noticed that if students glaze over and start texting, I need to change things up because I've lost them. :/

It's happened when I'm delivering dry, mandated training. :(

Even dry mandated training has another level. There is always another way.

Not lecturing you, just not accepting dry and boring without entertaining myself in some other way. I spent 5 months in firefighter training this year. Because I didn't want to completely disrespect the instructor, I spent each class period outlining the chapter, writing out the objectives and vocabulary.

He always thought I wasn't paying any attention, but was never able to stump me with a question, nor was he able to adequately answer my questions. It was a collossal effort to stick it out.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Even dry mandated training has another level. There is always another way.

Not lecturing you, just not accepting dry and boring without entertaining myself in some other way. I spent 5 months in firefighter training this year. Because I didn't want to completely disrespect the instructor, I spent each class period outlining the chapter, writing out the objectives and vocabulary.

He always thought I wasn't paying any attention, but was never able to stump me with a question, nor was he able to adequately answer my questions. It was a collossal effort to stick it out.

I have perfected the eyes open, holding head up directly looking at lecturer skill.

They really think i am hanging on every word.

But my mind is nowhere remotely involved.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Oh I agree. I try to adjust my style to the audience. When the stuff is boring, as it sometimes is, we'll get up, take a break, play a game, ask questions...

However, when the chief mandates that I read the slide verbatim and don't deviate, I'm kind of stuck.

So, frequent stops or diversions help to make the dry stuff more palatable. Agreed?

JPINFV

Gadfly

Those aren't equivalent environments, especially regarding lighting level.

webster44

Forum Crew Member
No cell phones. If I see it then they leave the class. Expectations are made clear on the first day of class.
(also the policy suggested from a naemse class)

I don't post my power point slides anymore. I found students would read them instead of the book.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I wonder why so many instructors insist on acting like this
6a00d8341bf68b53ef013484bc3d68970c-800wi

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Those aren't equivalent environments, especially regarding lighting level.

No, but it does show a general lack of respect for others. Students have typically paid for these classes, just like paying for a movie. When I pay for a course I pay for the course, not to have some immature person playing on their phone moving about and being a distraction and showing no regard for others who are there, including the instructor. I see no difference in the level of rude thoughtless behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
No, but it does show a general lack of respect for others. Students have typically paid for these classes, just like paying for a movie. When I pay for a course I pay for the course, not to have some immature person playing on their phone moving about and being a distraction and showing no reguard for others who are there, including the instructor. I see no difference in the level of rude thoughtless behavior.

Again, I honestly question how much what I do on my computer or on my phone distracts others simply because it is so wide spread. Do you get distracted if someone is reading the news on their computer or using G Chat?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Remember not all classrooms are lecture halls that people can spread out in if attendance is low. I would venture to say less then 5 percent of EMS classrooms are.

And webster is correct, NAEMSE who HAVE studied adult education and theory, also note the same due to the amount of ADHD adult learners.

And no I am not distracted as an instructer but I get comments from other students who say they are when I get the course evaluations back.

webster44

Forum Crew Member
Again, I honestly question how much what I do on my computer or on my phone distracts others simply because it is so wide spread. Do you get distracted if someone is reading the news on their computer or using G Chat?

The answer is. Yes , what you do on your computer distracts other students.

It also wastes my time when I ask them a question in class they can't answer or the next day when they ask me a question about something we discussed in class allready, or when I have to remediate them them because they they missed things when texting with people

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
It also wastes my time when I ask them a question in class they can't answer or the next day when they ask me a question about something we discussed in class allready, or when I have to remediate them them because they they missed things when texting with people
They're adults. Give them where they can find the answers and mention it was discussed in class.

Spoon feeding is another reason we have issues with entry standards.

webster44

Forum Crew Member
They're adults. Give them where they can find the answers and mention it was discussed in class.

Spoon feeding is another reason we have issues with entry standards.

I can possibly agree with you a bit about spoon feeding. But I find its because the students don't have the skills to learn. I'm pushing to increase the standards of the reading level of incoming students. And this next semester I am having someone come in got the first two nights of class to discuss college success strategies.

The comment that they are adults sounds to me like an instructor that needs to evaluate why they are teaching. (though I recognize that is an appropriate comment for certain students.)