Students texting in class

Veneficus

Forum Chief
We have computers on every desk, and in the office we have software that can monitor what students are on.(they know this) I have shut the computers down while other instructors are teaching because the students have been doing everything from searching dating websites to watching movies.

I know that with my students that by the time I can walk around to see what they are looking at on the computer they close the page. I also found that besides for every once and awhile where someone would look something up for the class that students don't do anything educational on the computers. SO, next semester the computers will be unplugged except for times that we are taking a test.

You put computers on every desk and actually expect students to listen to the lecture?

Fail.

I have never seen a university lecture hall in any country that actually had a computer at the desk.

So you waste money on software and man hours to police student computer activity?

Why not take the computers and put them somewhere other than where you lecture?

If you don't have enough space, then your program needs to expand or ditch the computers and make the students use the ones at the library.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm harkening back to an earlier comment:

It is the instructor's fault that people feel the need to text. (There have been some lecturers in my past I could say that about, but they usually had draconian graded quizzes. One quizzed on footnote wording in the homework assignment).

What is worse, being a student in a class where the instructor spends time on "housekeeping" (cellphoners, inappropriate dress*, safety) or where the instructor drones on oblivious to all, checks his watch, shuts his notes and walks off?

*salacious pictures on t shirts, potentially gang-related items, hate speech silk screening, safety issues, etc.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What is worse, being a student in a class where the instructor spends time on "housekeeping" (cellphoners, inappropriate dress*, safety) or where the instructor drones on oblivious to all, checks his watch, shuts his notes and walks off?

Both are equally bad.

webster44

Forum Crew Member
You put computers on every desk and actually expect students to listen to the lecture?

Fail.

I have never seen a university lecture hall in any country that actually had a computer at the desk.

So you waste money on software and man hours to police student computer activity?

Why not take the computers and put them somewhere other than where you lecture?

If you don't have enough space, then your program needs to expand or ditch the computers and make the students use the ones at the library.

Most lecturing is useless. You need to engage your audience. I prefer to be in a room with lab tables, three or four students each. Every 10-15 minutes I try to have some quick assignment for them to work out. The learning becomes active and the students pay Attention.

Computers in college classrooms are pretty standard. Especially when you teach in a computer lab . I got what I got. (sigh). We do use the computers regularly as I set up tests on them. Including the inability to backtrack, like registry.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Most lecturing is useless. You need to engage your audience. I prefer to be in a room with lab tables, three or four students each. Every 10-15 minutes I try to have some quick assignment for them to work out. The learning becomes active and the students pay Attention.

Computers in college classrooms are pretty standard. Especially when you teach in a computer lab . I got what I got. (sigh). We do use the computers regularly as I set up tests on them. Including the inability to backtrack, like registry.

I'd love to hear you justify how lecturing is useless seeing as nearly every, if not all institutions in the U.S. use a lecture format.

With how you described your teaching style it sounds like I would enjoy it and also learn a great deal, depending on the content, but I will still argue that lectures are not useless.

webster44

Forum Crew Member
I'd love to hear you justify how lecturing is useless seeing as nearly every, if not all institutions in the U.S. use a lecture format.

With how you described your teaching style it sounds like I would enjoy it and also learn a great deal, depending on the content, but I will still argue that lectures are not useless.

Ok. Lecturing does has its place...... Would love to discuss more but I. Running out the door. Be back later

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

But I think the texting thing is not because they are bored.

It starts before the lecture does sometimes, and they are defiant. Remind me of my daughter getting her first tattoo.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
It starts before the lecture does sometimes, and they are defiant. Remind me of my daughter getting her first tattoo.

Not that I would ever suggest the use of a device that contravenes FCC rules but I have heard there are "devices" that can create cell phone dead zones. I understand they are fairly common in some high end restaurants in major Chinese cities, apparently it's the only way to get people there off the phone.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not that I would ever suggest the use of a device that contravenes FCC rules but I have heard there are "devices" that can create cell phone dead zones. I understand they are fairly common in some high end restaurants in major Chinese cities, apparently it's the only way to get people there off the phone.

We supposedly had these in the chapel at my HS. (Yes I went to a private Catholic HS). I'm not sure if the rumors were true or what laws would pertain but I do know that the minute you walked into that place my phone would go from full service to nothing within a couple of steps.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Where's my last reply go?

I threatened to bring a Faraday cage to class to shield off cell signals. Well, apparently that alone isn't enough:
1118478834_4305f93d5d.jpg

JPINFV

Gadfly
The holes on that "cage" are too large.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I'll be sure to tell him that (haha)

It WOULD seize their attention.

daveatc1234

Forum Ride Along
In the more exuberant days of my youth, teaching in the military to military students, I snapped two students' flip phones in half and threw one out a third floor window. I had to pay for them. Childish? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.

webster44

Forum Crew Member

Ok. We’ve gotten a bit off topic from students texting in class..

Let me tell you about the principles and techniques I aspire towards in EMS education.

Like many I’ve sat through lots of different EMS instructors. Typically I found them to be heavy on the war stories and light on the science.

When I first became an instructor I thought I was the greatest thing ever. I quickly learned though that I was horrible. I recognized my deficiencies and made a commitment to improve.
I hope to always improve.

My goal as an instructor is to teach students the critical thinking skills of EMS, obviously though learning the material and passing registry is what they are there for.

The most useful instructor resource to date for me has been the National Association of EMS Instructors (NAEMSE) I took their introductory level course and it changed everything I do.

What follows is the program method I aspire too, but, unfortunately I don’t always get what I want. As mentioned before much of the credit goes to NAEMSE

Background
I teach EMT’s at a community college. Both day and night courses. Most students have poor reading skills and little to no higher education and the age range in class is 18-55

Class begins with two night of where I bring in an outside instructor to work with the students about how to study, take notes, and retain information. I then do two nights of CPR to really hammer down that material.
During those four night I asses all the students and then divide them into squads
In the squads each student has a role(leader, equipment, time, assignments, community service….) They sit with their squad throughout the semester. All lab skills are conducted within the squad. The squad is required to do community service during the semester. Squad presentations are conducted regularly and everybody is required to participate. And lastly, they receive a squad grade that combines both the affective and cognitive domains.

Each class begins with a quiz that is completed by the squad.
During class I use power point slides from the textbook provider(I want to edit and customize them more). I make it a point to reinforce key ideas. Then periodically throughout the class session I ask a question that requires a 1-3 word answer. Every student has a small whiteboard square. I give them a few seconds to write down the question and then raise up the board for everyone to see. Then at longer intervals I have planned assignments. I have the squads work on it(no longer then five minutes) and at the conclusion I allow a few of them to present.

Everything I do is to try to engage the students in active learning and to create teamwork and the critical thinking skills necessary on the street.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I have trouble following the whole sequence, but it sounds good.

1. You don't have a texting issue do you? (Peer pressure?).
2. Isn't it a little sad you have to use two days teaching them how to be students?

I am teaching CPR/AED/FirstAid (the trifecta), largely to students required to have it for a job, or as a mandatory refresher with their peers. I use the mandatory video, but I use the pause button a lot to freeze a "money shot" or make fun of something they are doing (such as the demonstrator actors look like Charlie's Angels in higheeled black boots, both of them).Once the class is rolling, I can get responses to questions. Except for the texters.