Strobe Emergency Lights on off duty car?

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
Heres a clue for OP and any other future posters regarding vehicle laws in Cali

If you aren't sure if its legal, most likely it isn't. Especially in Cali, everything is illegal

I thought that was only true in New York

That would be optimal but as we are a small volunteer dept. with an even smaller amount of EMT's 24 hr staffing is not really feasible. The blue light thing seems to be working pretty well as some people actually yield the right of way and our response time is better then average for Suffolk County New York.

My Vollie corps in Queens, NY requires all members to be in the building when pulling tour.
It provides the best possible response and keeps everyone out of trouble.
Some members are allowed to have one green light as per corps policy and state law.
Technically they could respond from home during off-hours if authorized by an Operations Chief.

Although I am allowed to have a green light, I don't want one.
I never respond from home and I don't want the hassle of being pulled over to show my permit.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
By having a light, you may risk your status as a good Samaritan in those situations

Only if your state obligates you to act while off duty. However, that is exactly why I got rid of a lightbar and went to hidden lights that were only visible when activated. I didn't want to get flagged down if I wasn't in the mood to work. Most of the time I only turned them on when I was stopped at a scene (actually had several people comment how odd it seem to them that I would pull up and THEN turn my lights on). This served two purposes- it helped the ambulance find the location (since most of the houses in our jurisdiction were not clearly marked with the address and still aren't to a great degree) and it reduced the risk of someone getting hit while working next to the road.

Unless you are ambulance chasing, you rarely come across such situations to justify a light

I could not have said it better myself.

If you want to see strobe lights, get a job as an EMT with an ambulance service

+1

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Rob,
Things are a lot different out here, I like anonymity so I won't state the exact size of my dept. but it's less than 100 members. If we had mandatory staffing I would have to be there 3-4 nights a week. So its not going to happen. As for the lights we are as previously stated a fire/rescue agency so we use blue. See attached link if you have any further questions regarding the legality of the blue light. As for trouble, in my five years in the fire service and out on Long Island I have only seen one incident of abuse. Being in the fire service requires adults and we police are own. It's a small world out here at the end of the island and word travels fast so if your going to play games with your light it will likely come to the attention of your dept. quickly.

http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/bluelite.htm

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Only if your state obligates you to act while off duty.

My thinking was that if he stops to help on the incident that he "happens upon" then he would be acting as a good Samaritan. Once you activate some sort of light bar, it may indicate that you may have some sort of Duty to respond. I could see some Lawyer getting a hold of that one.

medic417

The Truth Provider
My thinking was that if he stops to help on the incident that he "happens upon" then he would be acting as a good Samaritan. Once you activate some sort of light bar, it may indicate that you may have some sort of Duty to respond. I could see some Lawyer getting a hold of that one.

The fact that you have training could lead to the same thing. Especially if they claim you caused harm by doing something that an equally trained person would not have done.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
The fact that you have training could lead to the same thing. Especially if they claim you caused harm by doing something that an equally trained person would not have done.

I think that is a different issue. You have your Standard of Care which is the level you are trained. The lay person with no training has a much lower standard than say the M.D. who happens on the scene.

I realize that some states have different laws, but in my opinion, you have a Duty to act when you are wearing the pager, radio, on the roster for whatever service, etc... Even as a Paramedic, I should be covered by the good Samaritan law if I choose to stop and help when I'm not on duty. That doesn't give me the right to be incompetent and provide contrary care, but I should be covered if I do the best I can to my ability.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
I became a Nationally Registered EMT a couple months ago and I was wondering if it's illegal or not to have strobe lights for your own personal off duty car/truck/suv for emergency situations that you come across off duty. Please take my question serious, I have a strong feeling that it's not legal but I've seen a lot of people on videos who are EMT's and Paramedics who install it in their personal off duty car and say they can because they are Registered EMT's/Paramedics. Is it illegal to do this? Just strobe lights, no sirens or anything and it would be used only in emergency situations. Thank you.

Why not use road flares? Much more standard, and much less of a potential liability issue.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Why not use road flares? Much more standard, and much less of a potential liability issue.

And much more likely to start a fire along side the road (it's happened here more than once).:p

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
And much more likely to start a fire along side the road (it's happened here more than once).:p
*raises hand* I'm guilty of that one. I accidentally dropped a road flare into dry brush along the road when I tripped while putting one down. :lol:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
In regards to road flares, use the electronic flares (the LED ones). They're cheaper in the long run and safer.

In regards to lights on my car, if I ever had to respond to a scene, i might consider amber lights on scene, but if you want me to get full out code lights and siren then you're buying the car and we'll have to talk about what I get out of it...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Red strobes are usefull...

On the back of a bicycle

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
to the OP: If your job or vol requires you to have lights in your pov then go for it..there are issues that come with it so be careful..here in IL the lights don't give you the right of way they mearly ask for it.
Some places can not afford to go pd full time. We are pd on call and us 2/3 of what we tax just for that.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I do think that they can strobes can be dangerous if used by a whacker or some little kid trying to look cool, but i will say that having a few extra lights while pulled off the road trying to help someone can be useful (esp the 101) Sometimes the simple emergency flashers dont provide enough lighting and thats why I believe that rear strobes/flashers should be allowed. fronts..... eh... i think to much danger is involved there

but thats just my opinion :)

anyone else?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Red strobes are usefull...

On the back of a bicycle

I think i'll have to start doing that... respond to scenes on my bicycle. Can I put a bike horn on it?
tobar-ltd-classic-bike-horn.jpg

I kid, I kid.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think i'll have to start doing that... respond to scenes on my bicycle. Can I put a bike horn on it?

I kid, I kid.

Get a mechanical siren sans motor and attach it to the drive frame on the bicycle. It'll be so cool!

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Pennsylvania allows blue lights... they are only useful when at a scene to improve visibility until units get onscene. Its not uncommon for volunteers to get alerted on their Minitor and respond direct to a scene though. My volly station operates its own repeater system and all of the volunteers have radios to coordinate responses. It wasn't uncommon for the ambulance to respond driver only and have the EMT meet them onscene.

Overall, I dislike warning lights on POV unless your a Chief officer... and even then, what's really the point?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Overall, I dislike warning lights on POV unless your a Chief officer... and even then, what's really the point?

To be able to say "I drive the fire S-U-V!"

And:

"Yep! That's a Fire!"

anyone know what I'm referencing?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yep... that's a fire. Confirmed. There is a fire. Which is too bad because this is just an SUV. Guess we'll have to wait for the fire truck.