Strobe Emergency Lights on off duty car?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
haha... i still laugh when i see that video!

but back to the fire chief.... i think its important for them to have lights only when there is a disaster... ie... huge brush fire that burns SB county to shreds... or another 9/11

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep... that's a fire. Confirmed. There is a fire. Which is too bad because this is just an SUV. Guess we'll have to wait for the fire truck.

"The dude in the Fire SUV just directs people which is easy to do when you're dealing with fire. Hey guys, right there, where's that fire, I want you to put water on it, consistantly, until there is no more fire. Now over here, I want you to take a similar approach, I want you to put water on it, consistantly, until there is no more fire."

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
The only light you need for a personal vehicle is the one on your cell phone. So you can dial 9-1-1. Unless you can get far enough off the road so that your vehicle is not a hazard, don't even stop. Unless you are in a very rural area and it's a life and death situation, let the properly equipped people driving the properly marked vehicles handle the situation. I'm not being snarky, just realistic. I know every situation is different, but for the most part these guidelines apply to 90% of the situations that occur every day.

Patrick.W.Steele

Forum Ride Along
Not a single reason I would see why an off duty EMT would need to put lights on their own vehicle. If the situation is to the point where you are working that it's so dangerous that you are in need of having even more lights than your hazard lights, I wouldn't consider the scene to be safe, and you should wait for EMS with lights, and first responders with either Police/Fire vehicles to help direct traffic.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Before I was in EMS, I would stop to help people at a car accident if I saw it happen. Mostly just to assist people in getting to the curb and calling 911. Are you saying you shouldn't stop?

Not's saying I disagree with that. Now that I am and EMT good smaratan doesn't apply anymore and I would think twice before helping hands on... Luckily I have a white cloud over my head and don't see people getting into trouble too often!

Patrick.W.Steele

Forum Ride Along
Definitely not saying that you shouldn't stop anymore. I think that if it puts you in danger to stop, I.E interstate MVA and the car is in one of the lanes, I think you should stop, DEFINITELY call EMS personnel, but if there's a good chance that I am gonna get hit with my hazard lights, let alone with strobe emergency lights, I would be very very very hesitant to render care.

a dead EMT can't treat a patient.