Stethoscope????

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Make it stop,make it stop!!!!!!!

(Has anyone combined firearms, knives, boots and stethoscopes into one post yet?).

I used a $17.00 red nursing scope for 21 years, replaced the ear stems one and the eartips dozens of times. It went to DESERT SHIELD and I didn't. I tied off a pt arm for a blood draw with it once, and once used it to pipe water from a shallow drinking fountain into cheerleaders' drinking bottles. The tubing has gone sort of a dark reddish brown and it is in my drawer with the original diaphragm...retired, but good enough for my low level of care.
Just get something long enough so when they puke you can get out of the way.

PS: take off the diaphragm and write your name in it mirror/backwards. Select the best type of eartips for you and buy at least three sets.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
(Has anyone combined firearms, knives, boots and stethoscopes into one post

Well a good Glock 40S&W can burst the diaphragm of any stethoscope causing any emt to jump right of their boots and landing on the knife that they carry in their bat belt. Hows that?

medicnick

Forum Probie
Well a good Glock 40S&W can burst the diaphragm of any stethoscope causing any emt to jump right of their boots and landing on the knife that they carry in their bat belt. Hows that?

Ok since you brought it up. Would it be a thread hijack to ask about the contents and makeup of bat belts?

mycrofft

100% Natural Bat, of course!

Medic 47 wins the prize...dinner with Burt Ward.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Medic 47 wins the prize...dinner with Burt Ward.

3.gif

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Don't know how they really can call it a stethoscope since it is amplifying the sound alike doppler? I looked at one at the medical supply company about $378-400 each.

R/r 911
Well, if it transmits sound and then receives & amplifies the return, that's a doppler... This looks like it is basically just a really sensitive microphone attached to a diaphragm... which then uses electronic filters to get rid of extraneous noise. Those electronic units are, and have been, quite expensive. There have been, in the past, only a couple patients that I've had where I would have wanted to use a doppler... however, for the rest of the patients I've ever had... a good steth works just fine.

Perhaps it's just a really expensive, tiny, highly portable sound system... karaoke for one?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
(Has anyone combined firearms, knives, boots and stethoscopes into one post yet?).

I used a $17.00 red nursing scope for 21 years, replaced the ear stems one and the eartips dozens of times. It went to DESERT SHIELD and I didn't. I tied off a pt arm for a blood draw with it once, and once used it to pipe water from a shallow drinking fountain into cheerleaders' drinking bottles. The tubing has gone sort of a dark reddish brown and it is in my drawer with the original diaphragm...retired, but good enough for my low level of care.
Just get something long enough so when they puke you can get out of the way.

PS: take off the diaphragm and write your name in it mirror/backwards. Select the best type of eartips for you and buy at least three sets.

You're an RN! What kind of "low level" assessments are you doing? RNs do much more than low level assessments. You confuse me sometimes croft.

mycrofft

Off thread, I'll graze it.

A basic scope and my old ringing ears are sufficient for the level of care we do here. I can spot basic lung sounds, listen for apparent bruits, take an apical pulse, pinpoint crepitus anywhere, and of course do blood pressures better and faster than our automatic monitors. Specific heart sounds and eavesdropping on inner thoughts...not so much as they say.;). I'm not ordering surgeries or doing fine documentation for insurance companies.

In fact, the length of service of the doctors here seems to be inversely proportional to the cost of their 'scopes.

Oh, yeah. If I replace the head with an aluminum rod I can localize engine knock too.

PS: Scope has never been stolen or "borrowed" either. Probably due to the "mushroom" tips I favor...icky.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
A basic scope and my old ringing ears are sufficient for the level of care we do here. I can spot basic lung sounds, listen for apparent bruits, take an apical pulse, pinpoint crepitus anywhere, and of course do blood pressures better and faster than our automatic monitors. Specific heart sounds and eavesdropping on inner thoughts...not so much as they say.;). I'm not ordering surgeries or doing fine documentation for insurance companies.

In fact, the length of service of the doctors here seems to be inversely proportional to the cost of their 'scopes.

Oh, yeah. If I replace the head with an aluminum rod I can localize engine knock too.

PS: Scope has never been stolen or "borrowed" either. Probably due to the "mushroom" tips I favor...icky.
You remind me of a wise old man, and as such your one of my favorite people here. LOL.

858heatstroke

Forum Ride Along
I'm looking to get a good Stethoscope? I work for a private company in Orange County, CA and the stethoscopes are just cheap and I know alot of people who unfortunatly do not sanitize equipment properly when done using...

Any advice on what Brand/ Model to buy???

I have a littmann stethoscope with my name written on it. It's never failed me :rolleyes:

Guardian Angel

Forum Probie
Has Anyone Tried GRX?

I had read a post earlier about the stethoscope brand GRX, and have searched for this post again. No luck!<_<

So, I was wondering if anyone has tried the GRX brand of stethoscopes. In particular, the one compared to the Littmann Cardiology III. Supposedly, from all the reviews I have found and read about it throughout the web, the scope is very comparable at a low cost.

I know it is just a 'knock off', but, if it is almost as good and is alot cheaper, I would like to purchase it.

Not knowing who these reviews are from at other sites, I would like anyone's opinion from this site, which I trust!:)

Thanks!

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Another competitor for good quality and cardiology scopes is DRG, Doctor's Research Group.

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
Again, it is NOT what you put in your ears rather what is between your ears that really counts.

R/r 911

I have to agree..... the stethoscope doesn't make the EMT, and you dont have to have a fancy stethoscope, its all in what you prefer. A new high priced stethoscope or a cheap one at that, doesnt mean poo if you dont have a clue as to why you are using it.
Just in case you are wondering... I have a Littman Classic II and a Master Classic. Like I said its just what you prefer, i prefer Littman.

Guardian Angel

Forum Probie
I have to agree..... the stethoscope doesn't make the EMT, and you dont have to have a fancy stethoscope, its all in what you prefer. A new high priced stethoscope or a cheap one at that, doesnt mean poo if you dont have a clue as to why you are using it.
Just in case you are wondering... I have a Littman Classic II and a Master Classic. Like I said its just what you prefer, i prefer Littman.

I do have some experience with a steth as a former CNA for many years. I know that doesn't make me an expert. :lol:

I was actually leaning towards the Master Classic, but, my concern was, does it pick up alot of the 'outside' noise when you are in the ambulance or in a 'noisy' area.

If it blocks it out sufficiently, this will be the one that I purchase.

I know I don't need such a high end steth at this point in my career, but, I do plan on either going to Paramedic or Nursing School. So this will be a positive investment for me.

Thanks!

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
You will never find a stethoscope that will block out 100% of all ambient noise. I would suggest trying out a stethoscope before you buy.... ie, borrow a friends. good luck i hope you find one you enjoy.

ldford

Forum Ride Along
I bought mine for $15 from the campus book store and I can take BP and hear lung sounds just fine!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Started Aug 31.