Stethoscope - The Mega Thread

lfsvr0114

Forum Crew Member
I have a master cardiology stethoscope and just replaced the tubing and diaphragm on it. I have had it for about 5 years and LOVE it. It is my third one....the other two were stolen. The one I have now is engraved with my name on it. They also have a serial number on them that you need to write down and keep somewhere safe so if it does get stolen and you see one that you think might be it, you can get your serial number and compare it. Engraving can be changed since it is not very deep, but the serial number will take alot of work to get rid of and smooth out.

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
I have a master cardiology stethoscope and just replaced the tubing and diaphragm on it. I have had it for about 5 years and LOVE it. It is my third one....the other two were stolen. The one I have now is engraved with my name on it. They also have a serial number on them that you need to write down and keep somewhere safe so if it does get stolen and you see one that you think might be it, you can get your serial number and compare it. Engraving can be changed since it is not very deep, but the serial number will take alot of work to get rid of and smooth out.

thanks! That makes sense

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member

thanks! That makes sense

Nocturnatrix

Forum Probie
Time for a little class meeting! Sorry, this person does not need to even consider EMS. I would attempt to get the statements and get them out of the class...

R/r911

There was no way to prove it and my professor told me it wasn't his problem or the schools!

Last edited by a moderator:

gr8save

Forum Ride Along
Purchasing a stethoscope is like buying a car. You need to get the one that you feel is comfortable and can hear with.

I personally use a Littman Cardiology III. I went through several before finding the one for me.

Happy hunting.

byun01

Forum Probie
Littman Cardiology III

All you need. It's excessive to buy a stethoscope that is too expensive. If you are a paramedic it becomes more useful to buy a good scope for listening to heart sounds and breath sounds. As an EMT-B I would recommend any stethoscope around $50. If you decide to become a medic, I stand by my Littman Cardiology III. It is great to use for lung sounds, heart sounds, and BP. In addition, their warranty is by far phenomenal. I've had mine for 4 years and they refurbished it free of charge. I use it in Medical school now.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I would have to agree with Rid on this one. If this person cannot be trusted not to grab a steth; how on Earth can they be trusted to check-off medications?

I have done alot of things in my life-time, but stealing has never been one of them. I don't understand why someone would do something like that. If you want something bad enough, you work for it. You certainly do not steal it.

I would collect hard evidence backing your claim; and provide it--in private to your instructor; I am quite confident that they will take care of the situation.
I had my first littman stolen after I left it in a rig after my shift (really busy transport co.). No one "remembered" seeing it, and I never saw it again (it was even a hunter green one, not a black one).

a week later I found a Littmann Cardiology 2 in my truck, totally unmarked... I told my supervisor... he told me to hang onto it (he knew how ticked off I was about loosing my scope) and he would tell me if someone asked him about it. I was talking about loosing scopes with my partner a few weeks later, and it turned out that he had lost his scope... he described it, and I gave him his scope back... and then bought the DRG Cardiology.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess I have been lucky. I have had my Master Cardiology for over a year now. I have left it on truck after truck after truck...and it has not yet come up missing.

Maybe it has to do with the color....It is Purple! Everyone knows its mine...Im the only one with a purple stethoscope, and to even further mark it as mine...it has a DNR band around it. That somehow magically appeared after my first field intuabation of a patient I RSI'd and did CPR on...that turned out to have a DNR (someone "forgot" to notify the NH staff about it!).

And BTW....Color does Matter!!! :p:p:p (hey...that is about the same color as my scope!!)

milhouse

Forum Crew Member
well i asked around a lot about what scope to buy and everyone was talking about littman. kinda like how everyone is talking about on here well i dont remember what type it was but it was a popular one that most people buy. i paid i think 80 dollars for it. i hated the thing i couldnt even take a BP barely could hear lung and heart sounds. other students had another scope that i tried out once durning a wellness check up at the college that i vol. to help out with. and i tried it it was awesome i got the BP the first time. i could hear everything beautifully. and i asked were they got it from so i went to the store and checked it out it was only 19.99 a prestige medical scope. i bought it on the spot. and ive never had a problem with it. ive since given my littman scope to my 2 Y/O son (sorry guys if that offends you lol ) and he loves playing with it he'll put it on his ears and listen to his own heart (well that area) lol.

so i would have to recommend the prestige medical its an awesome scope i think. but like some have said also get what works for you.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I use the Doctor's Research Group Symphony stethoscope. I've never had a problem with it and it's a good price ($35). The gel-filled earpieces didn't irritate my ears like the hard earpieces do and they come with some spiffy antimicrobal soft diaphrams (they need to be replaced weekly or else you'll lose sensitivity big time with them. They cost about $1.25 each if you buy the 50 pack).

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Littmann Select

you do not need an expensive scope. I personally use a Littman Select. I purchased mine from allheart.com for $39 which is cheap for that model. Allheart has low prices and I am not being paid to say that. But I should be.

Keep in mind scopes get lost and or stolen. The more expensive, the faster it will happen. You want a good scope that is easily replaceable when it happens.

I was looking at these old threads on stethoscopes and this one came up. I checked out that allheart website....not too bad price wise. One question though. The Littmann Select is only a single headed stethoscope. How do you compensate for the two heads? Or is there a feature built in? I read something about pressure and high and low pitched sounds. Any elaboration would be appreciated!

Thanks!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I was looking at these old threads on stethoscopes and this one came up. I checked out that allheart website....not too bad price wise. One question though. The Littmann Select is only a single headed stethoscope. How do you compensate for the two heads? Or is there a feature built in? I read something about pressure and high and low pitched sounds. Any elaboration would be appreciated!

Thanks!

It depends on how hard you press. Its quite easy.

MEDIC140

Forum Ride Along
Best Stethoscope?

I am new here, cool place to find.

I have always told my students and have had to remind myself that the best part about a stethoscope is what lies between the user's ears.

Having said that, I do have a Littman Cardiology II.

Frankly, a cheap ole sprague has worked well for me in a pinch.... not bad at $9.99, but cut it to about 18" instead of the 22" it normally comes in.

Regards,

Medic140

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I think what you need depends on what you plan to go educationally. If you're after a more advanced degree, get the more advanced stethoscope. If all you want is the EMT, you might not need to spend so much money. But if you have hearing deficits, you might NEED to spend the money (like my aforementioned partner). If you can hear on a cheaper one, don't worry about it. If you can't, that's a different story. Yes, there are cheaper scopes out there than Littmanns, but you'd be hard-pressed to beat the quality. I know there are other brands that are just as good, but they are going to be pricey too. You do get what you pay for in this particular area. I agree that you should stay away from the spragues. I have one of those too and it's awful. They're cheap, but again, you get what you pay for.

And knowledgeable EMT needs a good stethoscope just as a paramedic or nurse. If your serious about listening to lung sounds and/or learning about heart sounds, get a good one.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have always told my students and have had to remind myself that the best part about a stethoscope is what lies between the user's ears.

I always though hair was the best quality. :rolleyes:

Short Bus

Forum Crew Member
I had a Littman Cardio 3 for years until someone decided they needed it more than I did. It was taken out of my car at my house. 7+ years in a truck and I never lost it, but out of my car was another story. Anyway, I replaced with with a Master in the black edition. I use my scope all of the time and I want a good one. I tried the cheaper littmans, and I do not think they were near as good. They were a lesser model then the classic IIs. So, just because it has the name on there, does not mean it is the same. ;)

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I use the Littmann master classic II. Great scope that i picked up new for a discounted price at $75.00 serves me well and i like having only the one bell.

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
I have the Littman Classic SE II. It's my first real scope but I haven't used it enough to recommend it yet.