Stethoscope - The Mega Thread

bassman1490

Forum Crew Member
has anyone ever used either kila or bullzeye stethoscopes

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I use the Littmann master classic II. Great scope that i picked up new for a discounted price at $75.00 serves me well and i like having only the one bell.

ditto... aside from the fact i didnt quite get the discount, but hasn't failed me yet.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
'Scopes are like knives except they don't need sharpening (say what?)

Yes, everyone has their favorite. Lemme weigh in:
1. First, I've used a second tier (one step above disposable) bright red (well, originally) scope with an eighteen inch tube since 1986, in the field, hospital and jail. It went to Saudi when I didn't. Now it's ugly and reddish and my name's inside the diaphragm. Not even the inmates will steal it. I use soft "mushroom" earpieces. For the level of work I do it is fine.
2. If you need to stow it, bend the tubing in half and stick it under your belt. If wearing pants with buttoning leg pockets, in those is OK too. On the neck is a safety hazard, they get lost, and look stereotypical (along with the holster carrying the haemostat, tetrasnips, little TK and a penlight).
3. Trouble hearing in the unit? Get your feet off the floor or the lower rail of the ambulance litter. If you gotta put your feet down on noisy surfaces, wear cushy socks and/or crepe soles. Cram in those mushroom earpieces, and
l-i-s-t-e-n. When your partner is listening, quiet up, and ask for the same back.

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
I just got my Littmann Master Cardiology and so far I can't complain. You can hear a frog fart from a mile away. Ive only used it on my family members because the Brown truck got here after my shift last night but I will be taking nothing but maually BP's on the truck now. I usually just trust the auto if it seems right or matches the trending in the nurses paperwork. I really dont like the auto though but would rather trust it than not get anything since i cant hear anything out of the cheap spragues on the trucks. S

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I just got my Littmann Master Cardiology and so far I can't complain. You can hear a frog fart from a mile away. Ive only used it on my family members because the Brown truck got here after my shift last night but I will be taking nothing but maually BP's on the truck now. I usually just trust the auto if it seems right or matches the trending in the nurses paperwork. I really dont like the auto though but would rather trust it than not get anything since i cant hear anything out of the cheap spragues on the trucks. S
you can't hear anything out of the cheap ones???ahhhh. hopefully its just do to a hearing problema dn not the fact that you don't know what you're listening for. hopefully now though you can hear all five sounds of the BP.

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
You can also look on eBay... there are always washed out med students who are trying to convert their scopes into cash.

I wouldn't pay more than 50-60 bucks... you don't need more than a low-end littman. Just stay away from the sprague scopes (2 tubes clamped together) they have lots of noise artifact.

Not only the noise issue but those clamps have a way of pulling out the hair on the back of your neck (bad habit to get into :blush:, safety issues). I have a Littman, got it from Allheart.com, great price!! Also you can get replacement tubing if yours get damaged. I am lucky enough to lwork in a nagency where theft isn't a problem but my scope is lavender, too easy to identify.

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
you can't hear anything out of the cheap ones???ahhhh. hopefully its just do to a hearing problema dn not the fact that you don't know what you're listening for. hopefully now though you can hear all five sounds of the BP.

no, i can hear somewhat with the cheapos, but with all the ambient background noise its difficult.

emtashleyb

Forum Crew Member
I also have a littman classic se II. I lose it even though my husband likes to play around with it it still works I can hear things clear as day. Its easy to clean too not too sure how much it was it was a gift from my father for graduating the emt class but its a damn good stethoscope

Getalife

Forum Ride Along
Stethoscope Review

There is a stethoscope review online. They tested 12 different stethoscopes on human volunteers and using acoustic test equipment. They tested them for loudness, clarity, and freedom from external noise interference. The stethoscopes tested include many of the models mentioned in this forum such as the Littmann Classic II SE, Littmann cardiology III, DRG, Welch Allen, cheapo nursing stethoscope, cheapo sprague rappaport, etc. Not surprisingly the Littmann Cardiology 3 was rated top stethoscope. All of the Littmann scopes rated highly. But one of the cheapo Sprague rappaports came in second, and would have beaten out the Littman Cardiology III for sound quality except for problems with external noise interference.

http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review.htm

PNWMedic

Forum Crew Member
You get what you pay for...

My advice is the golden rule of you get what you pay for, go cheap and your gonna get low quality go medium-expensive and your gonna get good quality. Myself I have an Adscope and a Littmann Cardio, both of which are great scopes. It's kind of a funny story of how I got em, they were given to me by a friend of mine that was an Army paramedic, and he told me this one "the adscope" is your trauma/messy scope for those blood everywhere vommiting pt's, and this one "the littmann cardio" is your nice scope for clinicals and clinic work... but all in all they are both great scopes, and I would reccommend both of them. :)

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
Good Afternoon All,

First of all, I appreciate all of the knowledge that is being shared in this thread! I do have a question about selecting a scope for myself. I sometimes get tremors in my hands, mostly in nervous situations and when I have had a lot of caffeine. Because of the tremors, I find it a little more difficult to hear. I can hear decently but not as well as I would like to, since there is a little more noise to cancel out. I use an ADC right now...Do you think it would it be beneficial for me to go with a single bell or are there any other recommendations you have?

Thanks in advance!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
buy the best scope you can afford that is consistant with your level of certification/licensure.

i.e. basics dont need master cardiology scope.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I recieved a Cardiology III for Christmas from my wife, I like it but I get noise from my surroundings in it all the time. If I'm using it in the back of the truck I have to shut off the power in the back to hear sometimes, going 3 makes it just that much more fun to try and hear something. I really liked one of the medics I work with, he has bad hearing and uses a Littman amplified scope, it had really good sound and did a decent job at keeping ambient noise out. Just so expensive :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Has anyone had any experience with Ultrascopes in the field? I've used a friends on a clinical shift in facility, but have never heard how they work in the truck.

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
buy the best scope you can afford that is consistant with your level of certification/licensure.

i.e. basics dont need master cardiology scope.

Not to stir up anything but if a basic doesn't mind paying for one it's not a bad idea to invest in one. first if you plan on advanncing to paramedic, as I do, then you already have a great piece of equipement to start with and a basic you still rely on manual BP's, sometimes if not all the time,so why not have a better piece of accoustical equipement, just because you don't have the training and skills why settle for sub-par equipement. Breath sounds are equally important for the basic as well. I have been o many BLS calls where I eeded to listen to breath sounds. I do agree to buy the best you can afford and a master cardiology is not necessarily required, but it doesn't hurt to have one if possible. I would definately noyt just settle for one of the cheap spragues, the ambient noise is awful and the two external tube design just has two much noise from rubbing together.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I use a lightweight Littman. I did a bunch of the $15 dollar sprauge scopes, but they break easily and I am not gentle, and in the end I paid more for the $15 dollar ones than I would have with a Littman before I switched. I've had my Littman for about a year now and it has yet to let me down.

DO NOT LEAVE IT ON YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR. The sun eats through the tubing! Learned that with $15 scope number 2 and 5.

My class is required to carry our own scope, pen light, watch with a second hand and trauma shears (get the ones that can cut pennies. Endless amusement when you're bored in class.) I bought bulk pens and flash cards from Sams Club. You will write your arm off and flash cards will be your best friend. Get a notebook to keep all your student awards and licensure information in, and page protectors to keep it nice. High lighters are a good thing to have. A BIG ring for your flash cards, preferabbly attached to your keychain or belt loop. A good pair of boots is a good idea, I learned that after I stepped in a puddle of blood in black skid proof restaurant shoes and blood seeped into my socks.

Helpful things to have on clinical is pocket sized note pads to write down info for SOAPs, extra pens, your own plastic tape (slide it on your stethescope and its like your own dispenser.).

Also it's helpful to grab a few pairs of gloves when you start your clinical and shove them in your pocket, that way you're never scrambling for a pair when you need them, especially if you wear an "odd" size. I wear small gloves, always hard to find when you really need them, same thing with a friend who wears XL gloves.

And remember one thing, I know this is a little off topic but a cell phone is NOT required equipment for clinicals! They are nothing but trouble, in my experience and you shouldnt be focused on them anyway. I always manage to undo the keylock while moving and usually call people or take the ringer off silent, all while in my pocket and I haven't touched it. Nothing more embarrassing then being with a patient and all of a sudden your cell phone starts playing "Hakuna Matata"

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
My recommendation for Basics on a stethoscope is to purchase one of the cheapest models available. You are not going to be able to detect murmurs, clicks, gallops, split sounds.. yet again, you won't know that anyway.

When you get into cardiology portion of the Paramedic school, then purchase a high quality one for clinical settings or for your graduation gift. That is what I did. I purchased a Master Cardiology as a gift to myself and paid >$200 for it 28 years ago and still have it and it still works fine.

Remember my saying in regards to stethoscopes:
"It is not so much what you place in your ears, rather it is what is in between them"

Sasha

Forum Chief
My recommendation for Basics on a stethoscope is to purchase one of the cheapest models available. You are not going to be able to detect murmurs, clicks, gallops, split sounds.. yet again, you won't know that anyway.

When you get into cardiology portion of the Paramedic school, then purchase a high quality one for clinical settings or for your graduation gift. That is what I did. I purchased a Master Cardiology as a gift to myself and paid >$200 for it 28 years ago and still have it and it still works fine.

Remember my saying in regards to stethoscopes:
"It is not so much what you place in your ears, rather it is what is in between them"

I agree that a basic doesn't need a high end stethescope but if they know they want to further pursue their education it's a little bit more practical to just buy a great one right off the bat that will take you through EMT and Medic school.

Sasha

Forum Chief
And yes, Rid, I'm stalking you. I like reading your posts :p