Stethoscope - The Mega Thread

Sasha

Forum Chief

mikie

Forum Lurker
I have the same one. I'm pretty happy with it! Lung sounds are much easier to hear (as opposed to our cheap spragues on the rig). still not the best. Though I often find it harder to take BPs in some situations. Perhaps, being more sensitive, acoustically, little bumps (in the road) and movements of the scope make it more of a challenge.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Im pretty satisified with it too, Im just dissapointed I paid over $70 when its being listed as $40, and that was with a student discount. Although reading this thread and browsing allheart.com Im starting to wonder if I should spend the money I saved for a new phone on a nifty new stethescope.

Hmmmm... Phone... scope.. Phone...scope....Decisions decisions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaggy

Forum Ride Along
Hello!
I am new here, I am from Austria, Europe, so please excuse my bad english in the first place.
I us a Littmann Classic II S.E. for a few years now, I am really happy with it.
It is really true: the higher the price for a stethoscope the better the quality of what you hear.
Shaggy

Last edited by a moderator:

FTRPO

Forum Crew Member
I just bought a Kila the other day. Single head since that was recommended to me through prior posts. It is my first scope but it seems to be nice. It is heavy, the ear pieces are comfortable, and it feels like a quality scope. It was only $40 and it was here in 2 days.

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
All i know is that i regret buying a double tubed scope....but it works for now, when i get money to spend ill go buy a littman

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I bought a Littmann Select when class started, and never regretted it. Love that thing.

HereToLearn

Forum Crew Member
On our last full arrest we had a Medic show up with a Littmann Electronic Stethoscope! I rode with them to the ER doing chest compressions in the back of the rig. After the call he let me check it out. That thing was awesome! He said he got it as a present!!! B) Pricey, but awesome!

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
I use an Omron. It was a cheap pharmacy find at 4.95. clear sounds, high sensitivity ( a double edged sword), but the ear pieces are painful after a while.

syd

Forum Probie
I just got a Littman Classic II S.E. courtesy of the FD I volunteer for. I love it. It was really clear to me the other night when my wife (who has no medical training) put 'em on and listened to our 3 year old and said "Wow I can hear hear her breathing with these!!!" She had listened before with my old scope (A middle of the road ADC, which I didn't think was so bad, 'til I tried the Littman) and couldn't discern the different sounds...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I just got a Littman Classic II S.E. courtesy of the FD I volunteer for. I love it. It was really clear to me the other night when my wife (who has no medical training) put 'em on and listened to our 3 year old and said "Wow I can hear hear her breathing with these!!!" She had listened before with my old scope (A middle of the road ADC, which I didn't think was so bad, 'til I tried the Littman) and couldn't discern the different sounds...

That's the kind I'm thinking of getting, the black edition though. :p

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
So other than the stethescopes, what else do you suggest before starting my paramedic classes this summer? Pen light, shears etc...? Thanks a bunch ahead of time. :blush:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
So other than the stethescopes, what else do you suggest before starting my paramedic classes this summer? Pen light, shears etc...? Thanks a bunch ahead of time. :blush:

The mega pack of index cards for making flash cards. Tape recorder for taping lectures. A really good, sturdy pair of comfortable shoes.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
I just purchased my Littmann Classic II SE ... its raspberry and so chic looking. :p

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I just purchased my Littmann Classic II SE ... its raspberry and so chic looking. :p

You shoulds got the Littmann MASTERS Classic II SE.. That's the one I got, i love the single diaphragm :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
So other than the stethescopes, what else do you suggest before starting my paramedic classes this summer? Pen light, shears etc...? Thanks a bunch ahead of time.

Advil.

10chars

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
I just got mine for labs last week, the Littmann Classic II S.E. I told the gentleman at the shop I was a student and he gave me $10.00 off, so it cost me $61.00 + tax. We were in lab and many of the other students had the Walmart or local Pharmacy brands, we switched around and tried each others out. Everyone who used my Littmann who did not have one, said they could tell the difference right away. The sounds were clearer, and more definitive than the bargain brand. I got the Littmann because the instructor recommended it and I am glad I did.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I picked up a good quality scope when I first started EMS in 2006. Fast forward to today and I still have that scope (A cardiology 3 I 'think'). I've kept my eye on it, not left it in the trucks, etc. It still works and looks as good as it did the first day I got it.

Invest the money and take care of it and it will last a long time. I'd love to get ahold of one of the electronic ones and test them out just to see if there is much of a difference. I have a friend who swears by them but he has a thing for letting anyone use his scope.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I'm quite fond of my SEARCH model. When I have to deal with a THREAD NECROMANCY, it makes the whole WHY ARE THERE TWO THREADS WITH NEARLY THE SAME TITLE ABOUT A TOPIC THAT'S BEEN DISCUSSED AT LENGTH much easier. I only wish someone had told me about this in A STICKIED THREAD THAT TAKES THE TIME TO ANSWER QUESTIONS LIKE THIS.