should she give up

momparamedic

Forum Ride Along
My daughter has attended paramedic school 2x and failed the test the allotted testing times. 6 I believe. I think she should go to another place and get the schooling, or change careers. She has been an emt since she was 16 almost 10 yrs. She is surrounded by medical professionals there but yet she hasnt passed. ( I dont know if they are helping or hurting). I paid for a tutor also who worked with her for 6 hours. That was expensive too.
I dont want to steer her wrong, but I want her to feel success in whatever profession and to be able to support herself and her son.:sad:

Achilles

Forum Moron
Perhaps her studying habits need to change?
Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Anjel

Forum Angel
If she has gone twice, and failed the test 12 times. 6 each. I hate to say it, but maybe it isn't for her. Maybe she should just stick with EMT or go another direction. The material isn't THAT hard. And at this point I think you are just wasting money.

Just my honest opinion.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Have her get hired by FDNY and take our medic program. We pass everyone... -_-

On a more serious note, what in particular is she having trouble with? The material for most paramedic programs is usually very straight forward. Math is minimal and most of the program is memorization.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Well, having absolutely no personal knowledge of what is going on other than what is here I'd say she might want to shift aim. After all, the point of a test is to divide the suitable from the unsuitable (not "the good" from "the bad and the ugly"); this can be messed up by test anxiety or other confounders, but six fails is "a clue".

Veneficus

Forum Chief
My daughter has attended paramedic school 2x and failed the test the allotted testing times. 6 I believe. I think she should go to another place and get the schooling

That is an option. But for better advice more information is needed.

She has been an emt since she was 16 almost 10 yrs.:

I would wager this is the problem.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
after taking the course twice, and never passing the course, maybe it's just not for her?

the truth sounds harsh, but there are people who aren't cut out for this. regardless of if her entire family is in the medical field.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Only your daughter can answer that question. She is fortunate to have a mother that cares so much about her success.

It appears as though your daughter, at age 26, isn't ready to be a paramedic.

JFK Jr. took the bar exam three times before passing. While the paramedic exam isn't even comparable to a bar exam, I think if your daughter was persistent and willing to devote 100% of her efforts to passing the paramedic class she'd be successful.

Good luck!

JPINFV

Gadfly
JFK Jr. took the bar exam three times before passing. While the paramedic exam isn't even comparable to a bar exam, I think if your daughter was persistent and willing to devote 100% of her efforts to passing the paramedic class she'd be successful.

Good luck!

Isn't it normal for most lawyers to take the bar multiple times? Also, the entire not comparable issue.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Isn't it normal for most lawyers to take the bar multiple times? Also, the entire not comparable issue.
Yeah, I think the statistic is that half of the people that sit for the bar exam don't pass.

You're right, it's not apples-to-apples comparing the NREMT-P exam to the bar exam, but I can imagine that someone that has been an EMT-B for 10 years, with only a high school education, may find it just as challenging.

Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
yeah, but if a law student failed the bar exam 6 times, and then retook the entire law school program, and failed the bar exam another 6 times than maybe the person isn't set out to be a lawyer?

I'm all for trying multiple times to succeed, and not letting adversity knock you down, but after a while, you have to realize enough is enough, and you need to try something different.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Only your daughter can answer that question. She is fortunate to have a mother that cares so much about her success.

It appears as though your daughter, at age 26, isn't ready to be a paramedic.

Good luck!

Well put, and better than I.

Ally

Forum Probie
I'm a vet tech and work teaching in a vet tech program at my state's university. I have students who are an absolute wiz with skills but are unable to pass our national board (just a test, no skills tested for licensing). If things dont work twice, you need a major overhaul. I would venture a guess it's a combination of the material and her learning style. Honestly I would do one more run of it all, but do a different course.
The other possibility is maybe she's just not in the mental place for it, although she's 26 maybe she needs a few more years. What's happened is humbling and only she will be able to say if it's enough to fire her to succeed or to admit maybe she needs a break. Good luck either way :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
yeah, but if a law student failed the bar exam 6 times, and then retook the entire law school program, and failed the bar exam another 6 times than maybe the person isn't set out to be a lawyer?

I'm all for trying multiple times to succeed, and not letting adversity knock you down, but after a while, you have to realize enough is enough, and you need to try something different.

Completely agree. However the comparison was someone who took the Bar 3 times when multiple attempts are normal and only taking one time through school, versus someone who took an exam that most people pass on the first attempt 6 times and went through school twice. If JFK failed the bar 6 times, including 3 times after repeating law school, then I'd say he should go back to driving PTOs.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Before everyone gets into the eat your own young phase...

Do you really believe that somebody is not cut out to pass a 10th grade level course?

There has to be some unmentioned issue.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Before everyone gets into the eat your own young phase...

Do you really believe that somebody is not cut out to pass a 10th grade level course?

There has to be some unmentioned issue.

Are you talking about the paramedic program or NR exam?

Veneficus

Forum Chief

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Is the test the issue, or is the material the issue?

Some people freak out about test-taking. Particularly in a case where there have already been multiple failures, it can result in a mental block during the test-taking event where massive cranial flatulence happens and the freaked out test taker is lucky to be able to spell their name right on the paper, let alone get any questions right.

If she can't learn the material by now, she needs to revise her career ambitions. If she can't pass the test, she needs to learn some zen and relax and let the information flow while taking the test.

VelvetyOne

Forum Probie
How the heck do you get to be an EMT at 16 years of age? Part of the issue might have been taught wrong from the beginning and now can't seem to get 'into' higher level learning. As a mother, I would say if this was a situation I was faced with, I would be advising that this probably isn't the field of dreams for my son/daughter.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
How the heck do you get to be an EMT at 16 years of age? Part of the issue might have been taught wrong from the beginning and now can't seem to get 'into' higher level learning. As a mother, I would say if this was a situation I was faced with, I would be advising that this probably isn't the field of dreams for my son/daughter.

There are a few states that allow EMTs to be licensed at 16, though many (if not all) require that another EMT over 18 be in back with them during transport.