"Requested Salary"

I will probably look into that at some point in time i already have a Bachelors (in something worthless now that I changed career direction).

Get a job at a company with a Union.
Find the Union agreement and look up the starting wage for position applied for; put that. [emoji482]

But either way, the wage should be printed somewhere (job announcement etc...)

We have 2 ambulance services in a 50-ish mile radiois and one of them has one of the worst reputations...

image.jpg

We've gone over this. I'm old.

I did some research and apparently the hourly rate here is just below $11 an hour- so I put $11.50 since I got an A and passed the written and practicals first try. I havent submitted yet, but do you guys think thats ok or should I lower it?
Please do not take this the wrong way. But at this point, no employer cares how you did in class and it would be best for your career prospects to not mention it. You are a zero experience EMT, they will pay you at the bottom of their pay scale (unless they have allowances for college degrees, that happens occasionally).

When someone brings up how awesome the did in class I just smile and nod. Other people will use it as a reason to make things harder for you.

Lord, do I love that movie.
Ya either negotiable, or just put a dollar amount around what they intend to pay (maybe just a tiny bit above so they dont go with your lower offer)
Usually they are gonna pay what they are gonna pay and thats it, your number, more or less, does not matter

Please do not take this the wrong way. But at this point, no employer cares how you did in class and it would be best for your career prospects to not mention it. You are a zero experience EMT, they will pay you at the bottom of their pay scale (unless they have allowances for college degrees, that happens occasionally).

When someone brings up how awesome the did in class I just smile and nod. Other people will use it as a reason to make things harder for you.

Oh I know- I was just kidding, guys. Ive been working jobs over half of my life, I know how it really goes.

You know... I'd hire someone who obviously gives a damn about how well they did in class, it shows they have some pride in themselves. Don't be afraid to ask for a more than the prevailing wage, you just may get it. If the prevailing wage is $11/hr and you ask for $11.50/hr, they won't immediately shred your application. As long as you don't throw something ridiculous out there and you have decent credentials you'll get a counter-offer if they really won't pay any higher than prevailing.

You know... I'd hire someone who obviously gives a damn about how well they did in class, it shows they have some pride in themselves. Don't be afraid to ask for a more than the prevailing wage, you just may get it. As long as you don't throw something ridiculous out there and you have decent credentials you'll get a counter-offer if they really won't pay any higher than prevailing.
I would hire someone who did well.
I would probably hesitate with the one who told me how well... Rank should come out in the reference check.

Thanks guys. Im submitting everything in the morning (app and resume). I really do appreciate the tips.

Ewok you make a good point however when I or an HR Manager are sifting through applications and I have identical candidates, I will then look at salary requests. If I see someone way above market price, I will put them at the back of the pile. It is a strong indicator they will be jumping ship at the next job which offers .50/hour more, they have not done their homework, or they think too highly of themselves/title.

No, they will not take back a job offer cause one has not been made yet....and it just might never be.

If you are going to pass an applicant over for asking for an extra ~20 dollars a week, I'm not sure how little they should ask for. Maybe we should all just write in the state's minimum wage?

In my opinion, they should be jumping ship. Moving on is the easiest way to get a raise and we need to be more proactive about wages earned. I hear a lot of bluster about wages, are we putting our money where our mouth is?

Kevin...it is reading comprehension and reality. As I stated, if I have two identical candidates, why would I take the one who asks for more? I along with others gave very reasonable replies to how to answer the question on an application.

And if you think "moving on is easiest way to get a raise" then you have a lot of growing up to do. When push comes to shove and you feel you deserve more money, then you come prepared with facts and examples demonstrating that. The moment you try to force the hand by using your presence as your only reason, then you have the employer's back against the wall, the natural human reaction of being defensive will kick in, and you will be seen as nothing more than a number with 1000 people behind you ready to assume your position.

This is anything but proactive.

Employees need to be willing to move on if wages are stagnating if we want to effect change. Why would a company hire anyone else if someone could just pen in "state minimum wage" to get the job? Underselling our profession is a disservice.

Thanks for the personal attack by the way. That was mature, you sure showed me how adults respond to debate. Next time someone disagrees with me I'll tell them to just grow up.

Last edited:
If you are going to pass an applicant over for asking for an extra ~20 dollars a week, I'm not sure how little they should ask for. Maybe we should all just write in the state's minimum wage?

In my opinion, they should be jumping ship. Moving on is the easiest way to get a raise and we need to be more proactive about wages earned. I hear a lot of bluster about wages, are we putting our money where our mouth is?
If they deserve a better wage, please expand on why. In the ems world we cannot prove we deserve a higher wage. And until we can show why we are worth more, nothing will change

Back