"Requested Salary"

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
A job position opened up for a paid position and Il applying- I hate this question!! I never know what to put! Thoughts?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
The salary they pay new EMTs in this position is likely already determined. If free text is an option, I'd write "negotiable." Just remember when "negotiating" though that they already know you will do the job for what they offer to pay if you want to work there.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Open or Negotiable is the proper response if you can enter text. On some electronic applications it will require a number...I always enter 0 or 10000000.

Both are obviously ridiculous and it is not a factor in the application, just you completing a field.

As Chaz stated, unless you bring a ton of experience or some specialized skill, the rate you will get is already determined. You have very little discussion in what is offered....other than take it or leave it.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I did some research and apparently the hourly rate here is just below $11 an hour- so I put $11.50 since I got an A and passed the written and practicals first try. I havent submitted yet, but do you guys think thats ok or should I lower it?

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I like that idea, Chaz. Thank you!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I did some research and apparently the hourly rate here is just below $11 an hour- so I put $11.50 since I got an A and passed the written and practicals first try. I havent submitted yet, but do you guys think thats ok or should I lower it?
How you did in class has no bearing on what they'll pay you. There is usually a glut of emts looking for jobs, so they most likely will pay you the minimum they can, knowing that theres another body that they can hire if you turn it down

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

How you did in class has no bearing on what they'll pay you. There is usually a glut of emts looking for jobs, so they most likely will pay you the minimum they can, knowing that theres another body that they can hire if you turn it down

We live in a "tri-state area" and we had students from different jurisdictions. So the mean average feom SD would and does greatly different from MN and IA.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I put what I feel my labor is worth.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
We live in a "tri-state area" and we had students from different jurisdictions. So the mean average feom SD would and does greatly different from MN and IA.
Que?...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So put the average salary in the area you're applying at. I work in a border area, and if you work on tbe lower paid side of it, you get paid their normal rate. Even if you live in the area that normally pays more.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

We had students from SD, MN, and IA. We couldnt learn about salaries because they differ state-to-state and regions of the state, rural and metro.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

So put the average salary in the area you're applying at. I work in a border area, and if you work on tbe lower paid side of it, you get paid their normal rate. Even if you live in the area that normally pays more.
So the roundabout wage... So lets say $10.75?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Find the Union agreement and look up the starting wage for the position applied for; put that.
You know not every EMS job has a union, right? And, outside of fire agencies, more are non-union than union jobs.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
You know not every EMS job has a union, right? And, outside of fire agencies, more are non-union than union jobs.
Get a job at a company with a Union.
Find the Union agreement and look up the starting wage for position applied for; put that. [emoji482]

But either way, the wage should be printed somewhere (job announcement etc...)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Get a job at a company with a Union.
Find the Union agreement and look up the starting wage for position applied for; put that. [emoji482]

But either way, the wage should be printed somewhere (job announcement etc...)
Lol I wish it was that easy. As I'm job hunting now, I'm finding there are more and more places that just put depends on experience and when asked, the applicant is told they can't quote even ranges until an offer is extended. Makes for annoying job hunting
But that might just be a medic position thing. Theres not many ways certifications and experience can affect EMT pay

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Come to the Bay Area (CA) right now. Starting medic wage is $21.XX and we have several open shifts as FD hiring has decimated our numbers (literally reduced by 10% from 400+ employees). As much OT as you want right now. 60 hours a week will get you $7500-$8000 per month.

Also, many FDs hire from this group.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Interestingly enough, I work for a hospital based service and they have a vast amount of play in their wages. I'm not sure how legitimate it is… But here's what happened

I applied for a Per diem medic position and they originally quoted me one hourly rate, plus night differential and weekend differential. (I thought it was actually decent for a Per diem position.)

After I completed my employment paperwork, I found out that my hourly wage was significantly higher than I was originally told. I asked the HR person about the discrepancy, and she said "you've been an EMT since 1988, so you're at the top end of the pay scale."

Okay. I'll take that!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Interestingly enough, I work for a hospital based service and they have a vast amount of play in their wages. I'm not sure how legitimate it is… But here's what happened

I applied for a Per diem medic position and they originally quoted me one hourly rate, plus night differential and weekend differential. (I thought it was actually decent for a Per diem position.)

After I completed my employment paperwork, I found out that my hourly wage was significantly higher than I was originally told. I asked the HR person about the discrepancy, and she said "you've been an EMT since 1988, so you're at the top end of the pay scale."

Okay. I'll take that!
Holy crap I've only been alive a year longer than you've been an emt [emoji14]

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
You can get 50% credit for your experience as well; 4 years as a FT EMT and you enter at step 3 of 13.