Report Instructor?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Don't dodge the question.

Do you honestly believe "That's what she said" is sexual harassment / lawsuit worthy?

JPINFV

Gadfly
you cannot deny the fact that they are sexual in nature,

thats-what-she-said-300x300.jpg

thats-what-she-said.jpg

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
And I'd like to affirm it's not about being prude or not. Steve, you honestly would call me a prude? Yet I would still be seriously put off by such a statement from an instructor. Apparently I'm prude... however I would not appreciate having a particular, private aspect of my body called to attention to my classmates by my instructor and making it the center focus of everyone's attention.

Unlike you, Steve, I am also a fairly well-endowed female. I am not ashamed of it, however, I do not need my body parts brought into the spotlight as the subject of a joke for my instructor and male classmates to giggle over like prepubescent schoolboys. I think it's inherently difficult for males to empathize with this situation.

Lauren, I know you too well to call you a prude :p

(see, bstone? An example of a joke some might take the wrong way, but I know Lauren wouldn't)

I'm just trying to seperate "sexual harassment" from a (poorly thought out) joke.

There IS a difference.

Just to help you see it, from Lucid's post, I took it to understand that she was offended with the potential label of "prude." Even people who ARE prudes don't like being called that.

freedictionary.com said:
Prude: One who is excessively concerned with being or appearing to be proper, modest, or righteous.

Using loaded language, whether you think it's funny or not, and whether the people you're talking to think it's funny or not is not a function of polite society.

The problem with America today isn't that we need to be PC in order to fend off all the sexual harassment lawsuits, it's that we've lost a sense of boundaries for polite conversation. In an everything-goes culture, the free-for-all that results is certain to hurt people. It's just a matter of time.

John E

Forum Captain
Just one thing...

there's no such thing as a "quid pro quo" transaction or sharing of jokes when one party is supervising the other. In fact, the use of the term " quid pro quo" is more likely to be used in prosecuting the offender when he/she sexually harasses a subordinate.

What's wrong with America is people who think things like sexually harassing women is ok so long as people don't complain about it and that the people being harassed need to lighten up. Some of you people's idea of being "PC" is what used to be considered having good manners.

Defending sexual harassment is stupid, admitting to doing it and then attempting to rationalize it on a public forum is really stupid.

John E

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yup, about as stupid as calling "that's what she said" sexual harassment.

Won't hold up in court, ever.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Linuss, the consens is pretty clearly that the things you are saying are inappropriate. Like I said, I think you ought to consult with your HR folks or your company's attorney in order to gain insight into any liability you may have exposed you and the company to.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
there's no such thing as a "quid pro quo" transaction or sharing of jokes when one party is supervising the other. In fact, the use of the term " quid pro quo" is more likely to be used in prosecuting the offender when he/she sexually harasses a subordinate.

What's wrong with America is people who think things like sexually harassing women is ok so long as people don't complain about it and that the people being harassed need to lighten up. Some of you people's idea of being "PC" is what used to be considered having good manners.

Defending sexual harassment is stupid, admitting to doing it and then attempting to rationalize it on a public forum is really stupid.

John E

Well said, sir!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Linuss, the consens is pretty clearly that the things you are saying are inappropriate. Like I said, I think you ought to consult with your HR folks or your company's attorney in order to gain insight into any liability you may have exposed you and the company to.

God I love how you continue to cherry pick to fit your side yet continue to ignore a very simple question;

Do you, or do you not, view "that's what she said" as not only sexual harassment, but also as suit worthy, and not just a potentially wrongly placed joke"?

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Yawn. Later, Linuss. I'm going to watch a movie.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
See, It's ok bstone, even you can admit youre wrong on this one.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, this has gone on long enough in this thread between you two.

I'm closing it for at least 24 hours to allow everyone to cool off a bit.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This thread is now reopened with a caveat.

It is one of only three threads that I am now subscribed to in this entire forum, which means that I'm going to be paying an inordinate amount of attention to what happens here.

If I have to close it again, at least one person will be getting a forum vacation. You're free to disagree with anyone you want to, but there comes a point when you have to agree to disagree, and just move on. This thread crossed that line.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Thank you for reopening this thread as it is educational and hopefully gets people thinking.

Indy

Forum Crew Member
Yes report it. It is sexual harassment. In a firehouse, you may experience the same type of humor but relaying that sexual humor based on your personal appearance is sexual harassment. Sexual harassment should be taken very seriously.

When you get to a firehouse though, don't be surprised to hear firemen talking about your physique behind your back. It's inevitable for the ladies. :D (as long as it doesn't go too far of course..)

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
This thread is now reopened with a caveat.

It is one of only three threads that I am now subscribed to in this entire forum, which means that I'm going to be paying an inordinate amount of attention to what happens here.

If I have to close it again, at least one person will be getting a forum vacation. You're free to disagree with anyone you want to, but there comes a point when you have to agree to disagree, and just move on. This thread crossed that line.

what are the other two threads?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I know I was one of the major players in causing the thread to close for a period of time. Because of that I will not be replying beond this post. My position is pretty well said and I just hope we can all be mature and professional and bring honor to our profession.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I know I was one of the major players in causing the thread to close for a period of time. Because of that I will not be replying beond this post. My position is pretty well said and I just hope we can all be mature and professional and bring honor to our profession.

Good reply and as one that disagreed and still disagrees with your position I to hope we all work to build this into a profession we can be proud of.

Paramaybe

Forum Probie
It's definitely inappropriate, without a doubt but I would make it known to someone.
At least he can get remediation in how to not be a creepy d-bag.

medic417

The Truth Provider
It's definitely inappropriate, without a doubt but I would make it known to someone.
At least he can get remediation in how to not be a creepy d-bag.

If he doesn't have a reputation as one already that is why I suggested talk to him with a witness so he doesn't progress to being one. He wins she wins we all win. Lets all sing together now......."Imagine all the people Sharing all the world".............

For those to young to know good music :p John Lennon - Imagine