Recommendations for gear bags whilst on shift

Spyro2500

Forum Probie
Can anyone recommend gear bags to store everything needed (lunch, clothes etc) whilst working? I have a backpack right now and it is not at all practical.

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
What exactly are you looking for? Just a regular backpack? If that's all you want/need then head over to Walmart or Target and check there.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I carry a rush twenty four and rush 72 to work with me... but then again I leave it all at the station for my week on duty

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Those bags are awesome. I have the rush 12 hour for school and it's great. 5.11 makes awesome stuff.
I'm a gear ***** lol and love 5.11 gear. I use a lima messenger bag for school and I'm gonna pick up atriab 18 for hospital shifts and around town

OP
OP
S

Spyro2500

Forum Probie
What exactly are you looking for? Just a regular backpack? If that's all you want/need then head over to Walmart or Target and check there.
I am looking for more of a patrol style bag rather than backpack - something with lots of pockets and places to put things.

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
I'd probably recommend what TransportJockey and I use, the 5.11 Tactical Rush series packs. They come in 12, 24 and 72 hour sizes and have plenty of pockets, and internal pockets for organization. But, those are backpacks. If you're really stuck on getting a patrol bag id head over to the 5.11 Tactical site and check out their patrol bag the Wingman Patrol Bag. I don't have one myself but I know 5.11 makes awesome products.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I like messenger bags for places that I have to post during the shift. I don't do much of that anymore so I just keep my backcountry gear and some odds and ends in a Wal-Mart special Hello Kitty backpack that lives for the shift in the O2 compartment.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I carry a rush twenty four and rush 72 to work with me... but then again I leave it all at the station for my week on duty
How do you like these bags? Ive been looking at buying one when i get some money. I need a little bag i can keep some medical stuff in for when we have to hike into a call since the company doesn't supply anything at all

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
How do you like these bags? Ive been looking at buying one when i get some money. I need a little bag i can keep some medical stuff in for when we have to hike into a call since the company doesn't supply anything at all
I love them. For what you're looking for, you might wanna check out the Rush 12. It's a little smaller than my 24, and a lot smaller than my 72, but it should be perfect for you.
5.11 gear is good. I have never had any issues with it, and I've abused the crap out of my 24.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I have a Maxpedition MLB which is amazing, but not cheap. Used to be a toolbag when I was a locksmith.

Something in a similar format that stands up with an open top is probably best, I think. Sits between the seats for easy access. Backpacks fall over.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Resurrecting this thread in hopes of getting recommendations. I am looking at 5.11 stuff, but want to see if anyone had anything else they may suggest. I have some family needy requirements and just want a bag that ticks as many of them as possible.

- I prefer a backpack or sling/shoulder bag over a duffle bag.
- The bag needs to be large enough to store a folded vehicle extrication jacket, extrication gloves, and extrication helmet. (The helmet can be carried externally).
- If you can figure out a way to secure a ballistic vest to the bag, that's a plus. I was thinking if someone out there made a flap between the back surface and the interior bag, I could secure it in there. This is a long shot, but would be nice.
- Plenty of zipper pouches for my personal stuff.
- I don't require a lot of molle, but I'm guessing with a bag like this, it's going to be hard to avoid.

I'm considering the 5.11 AMP 12 with the helmet Gear Set attachment. Does anyone have anything better to suggest? Those of you with the Rush bags, do you think the Helmet Gear Set would work as is or with an extension on the buckles?

Thanks

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I like the north face bags, I use a hotshot bag for my everyday stuff. Plus their stuff is half off right now.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have three bags; i have a black helmet backpack that serves as my laptop bag, as well as a other stuff i need for teaching. I also have a small gym bag that serves as my "EMS bag," which has all of my EMS equipment and stuff I might need for an ambulance shift (scope, helmet, jacket, winter hat/gloves, safety glasses, duty belt, radio holster, etc) that I purchased from kohls. Ideally, this bag stays in the truck for the duration of the shift. and I have a true north gear bag that i was given when I got on my old special operation team at work. I use this as a 24 hour bag, which contains spare uniforms, cell phone charger, toiletry stuff, change of clothes, etc. this stays at the station, or in the trunk of my car.

to be honest, i have gotten away from all encompassing bags, because the more stuff you put in there, the larger it gets. i'd rather have a few smaller bags that are set up for specific functions, so I don't need to carry all my stuff everywhere i go.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If you try to carry everything in one bag, it's going to weigh a ton.

If you try and break everything down into separate bags and pouches and so on, you'll spend most of your time searching for things and rebuilding the system after you tear it apart searching for something.

There is one surefire solution though. A) Stop buying useless crap whose only purpose is separating you from your money. B) Leave the pile of crap you've already bought home.

Try that out for a stretch and see how it goes. If I don't use it daily or damn close too it, I don't need it to be immediately accessible. You can lug around a sea bag full of "well, I might need that someday" if you want to. I'd love to be able to walk in to work empty handed.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I have 2 bags- one lives at work and has my rain coat, hi-viz vest, ear protection, a pair of sunglasses, and some random spare batteries and other stuff. That one is a 5.11 Rush 6

The other one goes back and forth to work and home on my bike with me and has my iPad, Kindle, safety glasses, coffee thermos, stethoscope, and chargers. That one is a Timbuk2 Especial Spoke (sadly discontinued, but this is pretty similar.

Lunch box is it's own thing.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have 2 bags- one lives at work and has my rain coat, hi-viz vest, ear protection, a pair of sunglasses, and some random spare batteries and other stuff. That one is a 5.11 Rush 6

The other one goes back and forth to work and home on my bike with me and has my iPad, Kindle, safety glasses, coffee thermos, stethoscope, and chargers. That one is a Timbuk2 Especial Spoke (sadly discontinued, but this is pretty similar.

Lunch box is it's own thing.
Mmmm love some Timbuk2. My Command looks pretty much the same as it did when I bought it seven years ago.

I keep my work stuff in a Mountain Smith Tour. It's profile is smaller enough to go behind the seat and won't let you carry too much crap. I started carrying it when I worked in the sticks and did lots of backcountry stuff, they're super easy to carry especially with the added fold up backpack straps. But alas in no way big enough to carry extrication gear or anything like that. Our ambulances are set up with dedicated gear compartments so everything gets hung up for use (coat, pants, helmet, wildland line pack, wildland shirt/pants/boots, and now each provider's COVID PPE.