Question for EMTs/Paramedics

lighterlife

Forum Ride Along
Hello,
I’m 22 years old

I want to become an EMT in the future but I have epilepsy I’m don’t know if I can because of it. I’m not effected by lights and I’m allowed to drive and I’ve been on a steady regimen for the past few years. I’ve been researching and some websites say yes I could be an EMT Paramedic but I’m not allowed to drive (I do drive if was okayed by doctor) some websites say no completely. So can someone either give me a straight answer or guide me to someone who will?
Thanks you!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Hello,
I’m 22 years old

I want to become an EMT in the future but I have epilepsy I’m don’t know if I can because of it. I’m not effected by lights and I’m allowed to drive and I’ve been on a steady regimen for the past few years. I’ve been researching and some websites say yes I could be an EMT Paramedic but I’m not allowed to drive (I do drive if was okayed by doctor) some websites say no completely. So can someone either give me a straight answer or guide me to someone who will?
Thanks you!
Without knowing what state you are located in, the only thing I can recommend is check with your state EMS agency.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Its also not that a Dr said you can drive, it’s up to the company rules and insurance requirements.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If I were in your shoes I'd:
  1. Speak with your doctor/medical provider. What does your doctor suggest/say?
  2. Reach out to the state licensing board in whatever states you're interested in being credentialed in.
  3. Reach out to the Epilepsy Foundation.
  4. Create a throwaway email account and email EMS providers/services in your area to see if they'll hire people with Epilepsy.
  5. Evaluate potential alternative career options.
I know you mentioned lights, but what about the stress, grueling shifts without meals, lack of sleep, and dehydration?

Good luck!