Pupils in head injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoss2006

Forum Crew Member
Why do you assess peoples pupils with possible head injuries that are fully alert and oriented? Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you have a bad enough head injury/increased ICP, wouldn’t there be more signs and symptoms? Is it just being extra thorough?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Why do you assess peoples pupils with possible head injuries that are fully alert and oriented? Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you have a bad enough head injury/increased ICP, wouldn’t there be more signs and symptoms? Is it just being extra thorough?
everyone should have their pupils examined in the physical exam, regardless of cc.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you not learn anything in your class? It’s a serious question. Just because you passed doesn’t mean you know, and that’s a scathing review of your program.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I’m sure there are better answers but I do it to assess the patient’s neurological state.

If I notice sluggish response, unequal pupils, or unexpected pupil size, it’s a good hint that I need to do a more thorough medical exam.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Simply put, it's a window into the state of the brain... and noting changes in the pupils can be as, or more, important than a single assessment in the setting of head injury.

OP
OP
B

bdoss2006

Forum Crew Member
Did you not learn anything in your class? It’s a serious question. Just because you passed doesn’t mean you know, and that’s a scathing review of your program.
Yes, I learned plenty in my class. I wish you would just leave this forum. **CL edit ** I’m concerned about how you treat your patients emotionally, because I’d say you are just as rude and disrespectful in person as on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

bdoss2006

Forum Crew Member
I probably worded the question wrong. I get why you assess it, but it's more the physiological part I don't understand. If there’s enough head trauma to cause pupil changes, wouldn’t there be other signs? (Decreased LOC, confusion, etc.)

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, I learned plenty in my class. I wish you would just leave this forum. You are a total jerk. I’m concerned about how you treat your patients emotionally, because I’d say you are just as rude and disrespectful in person as on here.
Young man that is not a good way to get information that you want or to interact well on any forums you may join. Keep in mind you’re very, very new to this profession and have been having people with a heck of a lot longer experience than you, telling you things you don’t want to hear. Lots of us commenting to you have been in the field for quite a while and have been FTOs, supervisors, some on this forum are also RNs or doctors. But good luck in your endeavors and feel free to leave if you don’t like the answers you’re getting here.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, I learned plenty in my class. I wish you would just leave this forum. You are a total jerk. I’m concerned about how you treat your patients emotionally, because I’d say you are just as rude and disrespectful in person as on here.
40+ years in and never a complaint. I’m an Instructor and expect quality and ability. My patients get the same treatment as I would provide my Grandmother.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
40+ years in and never a complaint. I’m an Instructor and expect quality and ability. My patients get the same treatment as I would provide my Grandmother.
I’m honestly beginning to wonder if we shouldn’t just lock his account so he can’t post anymore. We’ve tried being nice and then firm but he just doesn’t get it.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
@CCCSD can be a jerk... he and I have disagreed on many topics. But, in this case, he's not wrong. Many of the questions you are asking are basic questions, ones that should have been answered in your class. In fact, based on the questions you are asking, I'd want him to treat my family instead of you, because you don't seem to have a basic understanding of fundamental topics.
I get why you assess it, but it's more the physiological part I don't understand. If there’s enough head trauma to cause pupil changes, wouldn’t there be other signs? (Decreased LOC, confusion, etc.)
Maybe, maybe not... Let me ask you this question: you are called to a nursing home for an elderly patient who fell, with a hx of dementia. when you assess her, you find her left pupil is huge, and her right one is normal... is this patient sick, and needs rapid transport to a hospital, or do you think her pupils are irrelevant?

OP
OP
B

bdoss2006

Forum Crew Member
@CCCSD can be a jerk... he and I have disagreed on many topics. But, in this case, he's not wrong. Many of the questions you are asking are basic questions, ones that should have been answered in your class. In fact, based on the questions you are asking, I'd want him to treat my family instead of you, because you don't seem to have a basic understanding of fundamental topics.

Maybe, maybe not... Let me ask you this question: you are called to a nursing home for an elderly patient who fell, with a hx of dementia. when you assess her, you find her left pupil is huge, and her right one is normal... is this patient sick, and needs rapid transport to a hospital, or do you think her pupils are irrelevant?
I do have a basic understanding of fundamental topics. As I have stated, I think with a lot of my questions, I know the answers, but I just am paranoid that I’m wrong, so I ask people smarter than me if I’m correct. These said people only respond with negative comments implying I’m too stupid to do the job.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
...As I have stated, I think with a lot of my questions, I know the answers, but I just am paranoid that I’m wrong, so I ask people smarter than me if I’m correct. These said people only respond with negative comments implying I’m too stupid to do the job.
Sounds like something to work on -- the paranoid part, at least. Maybe the comments aren't as negative as you think.

OP
OP
B

bdoss2006

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like something to work on -- the paranoid part, at least. Maybe the comments aren't as negative as you think.
I don’t see how it’s that bad of a thing. It’s just making sure I am 100% correct to make sure my patients have appropriate care. Maybe a little extreme but not a bad thing.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This one is done too

Status
Not open for further replies.