Pulled thread

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
They don't delete a thread for no reason, you can pretty much guess why they deleted a thread.

Unless you're away from the thread for a bit, and go back only to find it isn't there anymore.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Holy crap people what do you expect them to tell you? At most if they did anything would say blocked for rules violations. They are not going to tell you a play by play such as medic417 said this and Sasha responded with, then Rid chimed in with, and Vent said, then medichopeful stuck tongue out and so and so called somebody a so and so. Ain't gonna happen. All you would get is blocked for rule violations. How does that help? If it disappears you know it disappeared for rules violations. Sorry I see no use in that.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Our CL's do a great job with this board for exactly nothing in return. My eyes would cross if I had to read all the threads that they do to keep everything in line. As users of this board, we have to trust our admins, even if we don't always agree with them. I can assure you that message boards are very much not a democracy, nor should they be. Without the policing of our CL's, things would degenerate into anarchy faster than you might think possible. If they feel the thread had to go, then go it should, and our CL's have no reason or need to explain it to us.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Unless you're away from the thread for a bit, and go back only to find it isn't there anymore.

You're a smart boy (most of the time :p) I'm sure you can figure it out why a thread would have been deleted if you've stuck around the forum long enough. They've only deleted threads that got out of hand and into a fight, have they not?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Then couldn't you make the posts so the members couldn't see them, show only the Mod's post explaining why the thread was closed, and then lock that thread?

If we knew why a certain thread was closed, we could avoid that in the future. It's like grounding a child for doing something wrong, but not telling them what they did that caused them to be grounded.

We could, but that would mean that we would have to go through and individually block every post in that thread just so that you would know we closed it and removed it, and then make a new post in it. Seems like an absurd amount of work to satisfy your curiosity.

And we do try to remove individual posts first, but every time we do that somebody accuses us of censorship and violating their First Amendment rights.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
The moderators want to keep the site clean, free of profanity, devoid of personal attacks, and reasonably relevant to EMS. There are some that just can't contain themselves, and break the rules frequently. Removing a thread cold should be an excellent punishment for breaking the rules. You had a good discussion, and then a couple of individuals ruin it. It disappears without a trace, and reposting the topic is discouraged, if not forbidden. Gone.

Maybe when a known :censored: stirrer gets going again on the forum, several members could alert the moderators and get them banned, before the thread gets pulled. It keeps the thread going, and discourages the offending poster from posting inappropriate meterial.

A good idea would be not to respond to an offender, other than asking them to leave the discussion, as they're not contributing anything useful, and are hijacking it.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Without the policing of our CL's, things would degenerate into anarchy faster than you might think possible.
You say "anarchy" like it's a bad thing. I happen to think it works fairly well for message boards, though the goals of this board require more hands-on moderation.

Maybe when a known :censored: stirrer gets going again on the forum, several members could alert the moderators and get them banned, before the thread gets pulled. It keeps the thread going, and discourages the offending poster from posting inappropriate meterial.
spacer.gif

Ooh, yes, nothing better than "community moderation". I'll get the torches and the rope.

A good idea would be not to respond to an offender, other than asking them to leave the discussion, as they're not contributing anything useful, and are hijacking it.

More succinctly stated as "Don't feed the troll." Unlike the last paragraph, this is actually good advice.

Now can everyone let the thread die? The mods have established that they aren't going to bend over backwards to satisfy your curiosity about threads being deleted, nor are they going to stop deleting them. So just assume that threads that have been hidden had degenerated into slapfighting or otherwise included rule violations.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I don't know if this idea has been posted yet, but how about a "Deleted Threads" thread? This way you don't have to edit the entire thread in question. Just get rid of it and post the name of the thread and a short reason why if you feel inclined in the "Deleted Threads" thread. That is just my idea that I have stewed on for a little bit.

I can clarify if you need.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
For the love of John Petrucci, it isn't going to happen. Don't like it? Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it. Like has been stated, this forum is NOT a democracy. It's the CLs' board and they can do whatever they want with it. While we may disagree, they have no obligation to listen to us, so be happy that they are at least somewhat fair in the way they operate.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I don't know if this idea has been posted yet, but how about a "Deleted Threads" thread? This way you don't have to edit the entire thread in question. Just get rid of it and post the name of the thread and a short reason why if you feel inclined in the "Deleted Threads" thread. That is just my idea that I have stewed on for a little bit.

I can clarify if you need.

Holy crap people what do you expect them to tell you? At most if they did anything would say blocked for rules violations. They are not going to tell you a play by play such as medic417 said this and Sasha responded with, then Rid chimed in with, and Vent said, then medichopeful stuck tongue out and so and so called somebody a so and so. Ain't gonna happen. All you would get is blocked for rule violations. How does that help? If it disappears you know it disappeared for rules violations. Sorry I see no use in that.[/QUOTE

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just watching out for ya since the picture isn't in quotes. I'd hate for you to be a 'quitter' because of a picture. ;)

Scout

Para-Noid
I would go back and edit it but i seem to have run out of time.... Perhaps there is a thread in that......

Ignore me I'm now finished for the month....

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Sorry medic417 must have missed that. As one of my teachers used to say "It is what it is." He also used to say "IBTL." (I kid you not, really he said that once.)

Lets unionize the forums so we have a voice! All in favor say "ey." ...?
(just kidding on the union thing)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Sorry medic417 must have missed that. As one of my teachers used to say "It is what it is." He also used to say "IBTL." (I kid you not, really he said that once.)

Lets unionize the forums so we have a voice! All in favor say "ey." ...?
(just kidding on the union thing)

Nay
darn10charcrap