Progressive EMS systems?

maineiacmedic

Forum Probie
I'm a brand new Paramedic from New England looking for a change of scenery. I'm wondering if anyone has some insight on EMS systems/departments with high call volumes and aggressive/progressive protocols (RSI, more meds, evidence based, ultrasound, vents, department participates in studies/trials, etc.)?

Preferably, I'd like to find an urban system in the eastern half of the US. A place that will allow me to practice good medicine as well as help me learn and grow clinically as a new medic. I've applied to Austin Travis County, TX, Wake County, NC, and New Orleans, LA so far. I like the rescue/special ops opportunities that those departments have as well.

If you have some suggestions I'd appreciate it!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a brand new Paramedic from New England looking for a change of scenery. I'm wondering if anyone has some insight on EMS systems/departments with high call volumes and aggressive/progressive protocols (RSI, more meds, evidence based, ultrasound, vents, department participates in studies/trials, etc.)?

Preferably, I'd like to find an urban system in the eastern half of the US. A place that will allow me to practice good medicine as well as help me learn and grow clinically as a new medic. I've applied to Austin Travis County, TX, Wake County, NC, and New Orleans, LA so far. I like the rescue/special ops opportunities that those departments have as well.

If you have some suggestions I'd appreciate it!

My agency is progressive, but isn't a metro area. We are a mix of rural and urban. We get busy in the summer from tourism, then slow way down in the winter.

We have 6 ALS trucks on during the day and 4 at night. That is augmented by up to 5 ALS fly cars. No BLS ambulances. ALS units are a mix of BLS/Medic and Medic/Medic. Everyone from our Chief down is a working paramedic.

We have evidence based protocols that are updated at least every year. We get a lot of our changes from the Eagles Conference every year.

We RSI, we have vents on every truck, Lucas on every truck, ultra sound, and unique treatment protocols like Esmolol for refractory VF, a "no medication" traumatic cardiac arrest protocol, IV nitro for CHF, and carry everyone's favorite drug, Ketamine (push dose and drip protocols). Only 1 or 2 of our medications require medial control.

All but one fire department are volunteer, and are mostly EMR level meaning you're medic in charge always. Our supervisors go on many calls to help, but never take scene control from the transporting medic. We often send 2 ambulances to support difficult calls, like cardiac arrest, maternity with imminent delivery, or lift assists.

We do some small rescue stuff, like low angle ropes. We carry extrication clothing as we are expected to be involved in extrication and patient care on scene of MVAs, not sidelined waiting for a patient.

Our paramedics are the highest paid public safety personnel in the county, we have the best benefits, and we are the only full-time county-wide agency. This puts us in a unique position where other agencies call upon us for help, not the other way around.

OP
OP
M

maineiacmedic

Forum Probie
My agency is progressive, but isn't a metro area. We are a mix of rural and urban. We get busy in the summer from tourism, then slow way down in the winter.

We have 6 ALS trucks on during the day and 4 at night. That is augmented by up to 5 ALS fly cars. No BLS ambulances. ALS units are a mix of BLS/Medic and Medic/Medic. Everyone from our Chief down is a working paramedic.

We have evidence based protocols that are updated at least every year. We get a lot of our changes from the Eagles Conference every year.

We RSI, we have vents on every truck, Lucas on every truck, ultra sound, and unique treatment protocols like Esmolol for refractory VF, a "no medication" traumatic cardiac arrest protocol, IV nitro for CHF, and carry everyone's favorite drug, Ketamine (push dose and drip protocols). Only 1 or 2 of our medications require medial control.

All but one fire department are volunteer, and are mostly EMR level meaning you're medic in charge always. Our supervisors go on many calls to help, but never take scene control from the transporting medic. We often send 2 ambulances to support difficult calls, like cardiac arrest, maternity with imminent delivery, or lift assists.

We do some small rescue stuff, like low angle ropes. We carry extrication clothing as we are expected to be involved in extrication and patient care on scene of MVAs, not sidelined waiting for a patient.

Our paramedics are the highest paid public safety personnel in the county, we have the best benefits, and we are the only full-time county-wide agency. This puts us in a unique position where other agencies call upon us for help, not the other way around.
You have piqued my interest. What department is this?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I would avoid HGH for now. Theyre having some significant leadership changes because of some poor decisions by their management, and morale and everything kinda sucks there right now.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are in Maine...just jump a few states south or head west....anywhere but there. LOL Nothing like being 20+ years behind the EMS world.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Check Vegas. Not East but very good spot.
No state income tax either.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I would avoid HGH for now. Theyre having some significant leadership changes because of some poor decisions by their management, and morale and everything kinda sucks there right now.
Good to know. I've been tempted to apply.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you are in Maine...just jump a few states south or head west....anywhere but there. LOL Nothing like being 20+ years behind the EMS world.
Maine's that bad huh?

My parents live in Portland and I spent tons of time on the coast growing up. I could see myself moving there at some point but at the current juncture I kinda like doing fun paramedic things too.

To the OP: I started my career in MA and still sort of keep tabs on the "scene" and while there are some pretty good smaller services, I imagine it's a battle to get on with them. There's some hospital based services in New Hampshire and Connecticut as well with good reps but again, I imagine an uphill battle. Also hear good things about New Britain EMS in CT which @medichopeful can chime in on I believe.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
After doing this for a while, things like RSI and progressive medicine have become less important. I’m far more interested in a great culture, work schedule that allows for work/life balance, promotional opportunity, decent retirement and a fair compensation package. Doing good medicine is important, but being paid well for it is also valuable.

I still recommend Sussex County Delaware as a stand out for all of the above.

OP
OP
M

maineiacmedic

Forum Probie
After doing this for a while, things like RSI and progressive medicine have become less important. I’m far more interested in a great culture, work schedule that allows for work/life balance, promotional opportunity, decent retirement and a fair compensation package. Doing good medicine is important, but being paid well for it is also valuable.

I still recommend Sussex County Delaware as a stand out for all of the above.
I 100% agree with you, but I also would think I need a good 3-5 years of high call volume experience before Sussex county would even look at my application? I've looked into them and I would LOVE to work there but I'm a BRAND new medic (just licensed in January)

OP
OP
M

maineiacmedic

Forum Probie
Maine's that bad huh?

My parents live in Portland and I spent tons of time on the coast growing up. I could see myself moving there at some point but at the current juncture I kinda like doing fun paramedic things too.

To the OP: I started my career in MA and still sort of keep tabs on the "scene" and while there are some pretty good smaller services, I imagine it's a battle to get on with them. There's some hospital based services in New Hampshire and Connecticut as well with good reps but again, I imagine an uphill battle. Also hear good things about New Britain EMS in CT which @medichopeful can chime in on I believe.
Maine is rough, we only have 27 medications available including the basics and most need direct medical oversight, the protocols are very strict and conservative. Mechanical CPR devices are just getting looked at to be "approved."

I actually grew up in Connecticut and took my EMTB course through NBEMS academy! I've applied to NBEMS three times over the past 4-5 years, never got a call back. I commute to work 48's at a smaller third service in Tolland county just to get some actual experience while I apply around and just got medical control clearance. I would stay in MA or CT but its just way too expensive, and I want to know what a winter is like not worrying about waking up extra early to clean 2 feet of snow off my car 😂

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I 100% agree with you, but I also would think I need a good 3-5 years of high call volume experience before Sussex county would even look at my application? I've looked into them and I would LOVE to work there but I'm a BRAND new medic (just licensed in January)

Nope. They'd rather you don't have a lot of experience. They want to teach you their way. I'd apply. One of my biggest regrets is leaving.

If you have a strong educational foundation, you'll be a good fit. Trying to BS your way through is a recipe for disaster.

OP
OP
M

maineiacmedic

Forum Probie
Nope. They'd rather you don't have a lot of experience. They want to teach you their way. I'd apply. One of my biggest regrets is leaving.

If you have a strong educational foundation, you'll be a good fit. Trying to BS your way through is a recipe for disaster.
well shoot, I'll throw my application in. Thanks for the tip! Why'd you leave? Whats their initial training program like?

Barsa

Forum Probie
I saw HGH EMS and felt I needed to reply to shed a little bit of light on our current situation. Long time lurker, first time poster and what follows is of course under the usual "These are my views and not those of my agency" disclaimer.

What @NPO said is accurate, to a point. Currently, only two of the seven command staff that were here in November are still working for us and they are serving as the Interim Director and #2. I was in the new hire process when the leadership change happened back in November. The agency was very transparent and notified me that the changes had occurred almost as soon as they did. From speaking with some of the other medics, some of the changes were needed changes, but they just happened extremely suddenly and relatively unexpectedly. Right now we are "short" I think I heard 5 Paramedic positions, but we only have one shift line actually open, because two of the positions would be to staff a unit about 45 minutes north of town, but that hasn't been staffed since the change and isn't a "required" unit. The other two would be filling office positions, which are currently secondary duties of two of the Medics. We also have what are called "Casual Call" employees, which is essentially our verbiage for per diem positions, and we are almost always hiring for those.

I haven't noticed the morale actually feeling down, if anything I think the changes in leadership have strengthened the organization, because much of the workload has been shared between everyone, rather than one or two people as it historically was. It also feels like the initial shock has worn off since and we are just about back to operation as normal. If you are interested, I would absolutely apply, just knowing that the process may take some time.

The "cliff notes" version (in case it hasn't been updated) of the agency is that we run approximately 3000 calls a year between 911, IFT between two hospitals, vehicle extrication, Haz-Mat, and Rope rescue. We cover an area of approximately 10,000 square miles and roughly 20,000 people, currently with two full time crews and a supervisor, with most of the staff living in town with call back ability if needed. We have 3 primary 911 ambulances, a "Rescue Ambulance," a heavy rescue, and a dual stretcher transfer rig as well as 8 or 9 additional semi- or unstocked rigs we use for Burning Man or if we had a significant MCI.

We just switched to a 2 on, 5 off schedule (previously 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off) and are still feeling it out, since an average transfer is about a 6 to 7 hour round trip to Reno and seem to like to start around 9 pm. I came from Fire based systems in Colorado and REMSA previous to that and absolutely love it here. We have very open ended Clinical Guidelines, and usually do some type of training every day, with a lot of focus on airway and ventilator management. We do have RSI and TXA on standing orders, as well as vents, IV pumps, and KingVision VL on every truck. It is by far the most open scope I've had as a Paramedic, and we are encouraged to look beyond the 911 setting and actually about the long term patient outcome and course on each call. I actually feel supported by the leadership in all contexts of the job, and the channels of communication are very open between field crews and the Interim Director.

Hopefully this helps out a little bit. Feel free to PM me if you have some other questions.