Princess Cruises?

wynninio

Forum Ride Along
Yeh that'd be appreciated. I can't PM until I'm over a certain number of posts. Cheers.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
For all you UK (or non-U.S. guys), which port(s) do you base yourself out of? The same as the U.S. guys or do you cover a different region? Also, if you sign a 4 month contract with princess, in that 4 months time how often do you get to return to your home port if you are not from the U.S. ?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Sorry to dig up this old thing. Is anyone still working for Princess? Would be interesting to hear how things are going currently and also if the salary is the same?

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Could I jump in here and ask a quick question? I had considered cruise medic as an option, but I'm married without children. So, we technically can pick up and go anytime. However, do these cruise jobs allow you to bring your spouse? Or is it set up to only accommodate the paramedic? Seems like if I couldn't bring my wife then it would be a pointless effort to try and obtain a job with a cruise ship.

Thanks,
M.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Nope. 4 month rotations. Once you accumulate enough time in service you can bring a guest aboard for a certain period of time. Otherwise she can apply seperately for a job on board, but hr told me it's still not guaranteed you'll be on the same vessel

Leon W

Forum Ride Along
I would like to know what the salary is for a Paramedic position? I've reading the post can't can't find any info on that.

Docraven311

Forum Ride Along
I am thinking of applying. How does everyone who is already working for Princess like it? I have read good and bad. Just wanted to hear what current people working on board think.

Sea Medic

Forum Probie
I am thinking of applying. How does everyone who is already working for Princess like it? I have read good and bad. Just wanted to hear what current people working on board think.
You’re going to get opinions from both sides. I did 4 contracts and would still be doing them but I got a job on land that I couldn’t pass up. My advice is if you are in a position to be able to go, apply and try it. At the end of the day if you get the job you’re going to be a paramedic on a cruise ship sailing the world. I was fortunate to check several places off my bucket list and do things I couldn’t have imagined all while getting paid fairly decently with few bad days or experiences.

Good luck.

Docraven311

Forum Ride Along
You’re going to get opinions from both sides. I did 4 contracts and would still be doing them but I got a job on land that I couldn’t pass up. My advice is if you are in a position to be able to go, apply and try it. At the end of the day if you get the job you’re going to be a paramedic on a cruise ship sailing the world. I was fortunate to check several places off my bucket list and do things I couldn’t have imagined all while getting paid fairly decently with few bad days or experiences.

Good luck.

Do the medics mostly work Caribbean ships or do they do any of the other cruises? Just curious.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
Unless they expanded, it's the Regal class ships and Grand class ships except for the Crown. So that's everything here. You can cross reference to see which ships are where, but you're seeing a lot of US shores actually. Let us know if you get picked up, haven't heard of US medics getting tapped anymore.

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
They are starting to hire more U.K. Medics and some South African medics as well. We still have a decent amount of US medics but most are leaving for multiple reasons, mistreatment, fed up, schedule, money, etc. Depends on the time of the year which ports you're in. Caribbean typically Sept - Mar. then may be Baltic or Mediterranean depending on the ship. Apr - sept will be Alaska. You'll have some Hawaii routes and mexican riv routes. Again all depends on the ship. Then you have Aus and New Zealand and Asia as well.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
We still have a decent amount of US medics but most are leaving for multiple reasons, mistreatment, fed up, schedule, money, etc.
doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement that it's a good job to have......

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement that it's a good job to have......

Haha, that discussion is a long one. But PCL created a position that had some benefits over the nurse (24 hour shift rotations for one) with those same benefits contingent on your senior nurse determining them. It could be awesome or it could suck or something in between. You get to learn all these awesome skills and transfer none of them to another job back shoreside. And when US medics found out 1. the UK medics were getting paid more for the same job, 2. had no health insurance or benefits off contract (where nurses/doctors do, and quite shady considering ACA rolled out during my tenure), 3. couldn't maintain their old career given the rotations, 4. and could end up with more responsibilities than the higher ranked nurses who were making more and doing less (potentially of course), that employee pool dried to the peeps that just like to PARTY!

But I don't regret it, met my wife on ships.

Docraven311

Forum Ride Along
They are starting to hire more U.K. Medics and some South African medics as well. We still have a decent amount of US medics but most are leaving for multiple reasons, mistreatment, fed up, schedule, money, etc. Depends on the time of the year which ports you're in. Caribbean typically Sept - Mar. then may be Baltic or Mediterranean depending on the ship. Apr - sept will be Alaska. You'll have some Hawaii routes and mexican riv routes. Again all depends on the ship. Then you have Aus and New Zealand and Asia as well.

Interesting with the Aus, New Zealand and Asia routes, especially since the wife and I are looking at moving to the Philippines here soon.

Matchbox

Forum Ride Along
Hey Y'all....

This tread has been super helpful.... Whats the word on the streets? Seems like PCL is looking to hire again for the medic position.... can anyone shed any light on this? is a hiring push happening now?

isthisthrereallife

Forum Ride Along
hopefully you are all getting on ok - had a call back for an in person interview plus clinical paper/ - couldn't find much about those specifically - if you have constructive advice please could you PM or post on here, thank you great thread and help from you guys and ladies