Princess Cruises?

pamedic38

Forum Ride Along
Thanks again.........really appreciate it. Just finished my last and final interview with Princess......I should hear something within a few business days as I was told! I'll keep you updated.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
So, how's every coming with the updates? I'm in the Baltic right now. Not a fan. Turns out I don't have much interest in all this... culture. But, Iceland and Greenland are looming, along with the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mutumbo

Forum Ride Along
Got a question for any of yall that currently work for princess, whats their tattoo policy? Is it a total deal breaker to have visible forearm tattoos?(ive got full sleeves) or will they allow you to cover them with long sleeves?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Unfortunately, those tattoos are going to be a deal breaker. No visible tattoos. Sorry.

Ciao

Can't even cover them with flesh colored sleeves like tat jackets ? I know I get away with that here at the evil empire and their pretty strict policy

Mutumbo

Forum Ride Along
Unfortunately, those tattoos are going to be a deal breaker. No visible tattoos. Sorry.

Ciao

Thats what i figured. I was going through the initial application process and saw that speceific question, and figured that was the case. Well, at least I know not to wait around for a call. Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member

Ciao

Can't even cover them with flesh colored sleeves like tat jackets ? I know I get away with that here at the evil empire and their pretty strict policy

I know I had to send pictures during the application process, in scrubs they sneak out sometimes under the shirt sleeve, no one notices. We've had crew in other departments with full sleeves but its not an issue as their uniforms cover everything up.

Can't hurt to ask.

Mutumbo

Forum Ride Along
I know I had to send pictures during the application process, in scrubs they sneak out sometimes under the shirt sleeve, no one notices. We've had crew in other departments with full sleeves but its not an issue as their uniforms cover everything up.

Can't hurt to ask.

My rsponse was basically "yes, but id gldadly cover them with lo sleeves, or however deemed necessary. "

It was a little more lengthy and professional sounding, to be honest, but i figure id at least throw it out there.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
ya its pretty easy to cover them with something like the tat jacket, or tight fitting long sleeve under Armour which matches your uniform.

WBExpatMedic

Forum Crew Member
Is the money really as bad as they say? I was told it's only around 30,000 year before tax, No insurance and your only paid while on the ship.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
ya its pretty easy to cover them with something like the tat jacket, or tight fitting long sleeve under Armour which matches your uniform.

Why hire someone who sticks out by wearing long sleeves or tat jacket on a tropical cruise? There are probably well over 100 applicants for each opening and many may be just as qualified in skills but won't be a distraction when it comes to dress code.

CruiseMedic

Forum Probie
Keep in mind that scrubs are not the only uniform for a medical officer onboard. Other officer uniforms include summer whites, red sea rig, and others where the use of long sleeve under armour shirts (or similar) are not allowed. Tattoos are evaluated on a case by case basis. I have one under my right upper arm and I had to prove that it didn't show in short sleeves in a normal standing position.

nailstab28

Forum Ride Along
Clinical Interview Questions

TO all,

Good day! I just wanna ask about the questions for the clinical interview, I think clinical interview is also the final interview ( correct me if I am wrong). What are the clinical questions from the doctor-interviewer? Can you give me some examples? Thanks!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Any updates on how things are going on board?

Dunno. I had the opportunity to play 20 questions with a Princess Cruises Medic (As opposed to a Princess Medic - we all know them!) at EMS Expo.

Seems like this thread is pretty accurate.

Big ships are often 2 docs, 3 RN's, and 2 medics. Medics do 24 on / 24 off on primary call. When "off", still have regular duties in the infirmary. When "on" respond with a backpack of gear to all calls for medical support on the ship. If the patient must be moved, coordinate the "litter team" to get the patient where they need to be. Supposedly the medic role is a "non-lifting" role, at least under normal circumstances.

You get spiffy uniforms and a private room. Have to pay for alcohol and internet onboard, but otherwise have minimal expenses.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
Dunno. I had the opportunity to play 20 questions with a Princess Cruises Medic (As opposed to a Princess Medic - we all know them!) at EMS Expo.

Big ships are often 2 docs, 3 RN's, and 2 medics. Medics do 24 on / 24 off on primary call. When "off", still have regular duties in the infirmary. When "on" respond with a backpack of gear to all calls for medical support on the ship. If the patient must be moved, coordinate the "litter team" to get the patient where they need to be. Supposedly the medic role is a "non-lifting" role, at least under normal circumstances.

You get spiffy uniforms and a private room. Have to pay for alcohol and internet onboard, but otherwise have minimal expenses.

We try to keep it accurate :) I just pulled into North America a few weeks back from a long trip across the pond. I was pretty bummed we missed Iceland and Greenland on our trans-Atlantic. To say 'pretty bummed' is putting it mildly actually. Was gonna drop a 1/3 of a month's pay on the Iceland day just to climb the volcanoes out there. The place is amazing when you research it.

There's still good days and bad days. The funny thing when it gets slow you just crave the times when you feel like a medic again. Some days, I can't believe I get paid to do this. It always comes back to learning about the world. Even though I missed Iceland, I forced myself to learn about it and it made me add it to my ever increasing bucket list. Another example is Quebec City. Would NEVER visit this city and its frickin' awesome. Three days we spend there, complete with haunted city tours at night and clubs that actually stay open past 2 am.

As for the schedule mention, its different ship to ship. But, honestly, if they made us work a 24 then come into both clinics the following day (as in both clinics everyday for the whole contract), I would kill myself. Irregardless of the potential exhaustion issue, it can really impact your day to day life. Only one ship has had that come up from talking with other medics on the ships, and it got fixed. If you have a good partner and an understanding senior nurse, you can flex the schedule around. It is almost impossible to get overtime, so you might as well have some damn fun!

Shoot me a pm if you have some more Qs. This is all more circumstantial, but this contract hasn't been that medically stimulating... I'm gonna put some more nuts n' bolts logistics stuff that has come up that seems more pronounced my sophomore contract and more of the positive stuff I might have left out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya Jon I was at EMS expo also and spoke with the princess booth. I agree the info sounds about right. Only downer is the pay is pretty low IMO, even with free room and board.