Forum Ride Along
Sir

why sir?im sorry im new here..i just wanna hear some healthy advice sir

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You need to stop using sir constantly.

A) there's plenty of female members here

B) I understand you're trying to be respectful but there is such a thing as overdoing it.

There's nothing wrong with posting in a thread but what he's saying is the multiple, spaced out replies. You can do multi-quotes to include multiple quotes in your reply.

Good luck on your job hunt! I think working on a cruise ship would be a rad gig. I know the thread is long but there is a TON of good information about the job, the lifestyle and the hiring process if you are willing to take the time to read through the entire thing.

nailstab28

Forum Ride Along

B) I understand you're trying to be respectful but there is such a thing as overdoing it.

There's nothing wrong with posting in a thread but what he's saying is the multiple, spaced out replies. You can do multi-quotes to include multiple quotes in your reply.

Good luck on your job hunt! I think working on a cruise ship would be a rad gig. I know the thread is long but there is a TON of good information about the job, the lifestyle and the hiring process if you are willing to take the time to read through the entire thing.

thank you Robb! Im new here..

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Welcome to the site! I'd be interested to learn more about EMS in the Philippines! Might be a good thread for you to start, introduce yourself and teach us something. Like I said in this thread and lots of others many frequent questions have been answered very thoroughly, just takes some time to find it.

nailstab28

Forum Ride Along
Welcome to the site! I'd be interested to learn more about EMS in the Philippines! Might be a good thread for you to start, introduce yourself and teach us something. Like I said in this thread and lots of others many frequent questions have been answered very thoroughly, just takes some time to find it.

Thanks for the idea Robb..I'll do it as you requested. This site really helps a lot. Where are you working now Robb?cruise ship?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

As someone who employs dozens of Philipinos, trying to get them to stop using Sir is damn near impossible. Just saying...

I have been Sir for years no matter how many times I ask them to not do so. They would rather die than be embarrassed or shamed by not calling me Sir first or let someone else hear them not address me as Sir. Just sharing some insight into our new member...

globalmedic

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

I follow the remote medic blogs quite a bit and getting interested in some international work (and the daunting task of where to begin). Working as a shipboard medic doesn't sound exciting, but the travel would be interesting. Anyone have experience?

Thanks,
Jayson
Just out of curiosity, did you get hired? How much experience did you have when you applied? Any tips for those of us interested in similar experiences? Thanks!

globalmedic

Forum Ride Along
Ok, still figuring this out. Here it goes.

I just finished reading through the thread you started about working for PCL. Great info! I've been wanting to work for a cruise line for some time as it combines my love for medicine with my love for travel! I come from a military family so I'm accustomed (if not addicted) to adapting quickly and changing scenery! I have experience mostly in an ED and transport (long distance inter-facility as well as "in town" stuff) with some rural 911. My interest is DEFINITELY more clinical than being on "the streets."

I just have a few questions for anyone that can answer if you have some time.

Do they count experience as a nationally registered EMT-Intermediate toward their experience requirement? Would mentioning travel experience be helpful? Any advice with regard to resumes? If you start out as a 1 1/2 stripe officer do you get two stripes eventually? What is the promotion structure? Any info you can provide would be awesome!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
I just have a few questions for anyone that can answer if you have some time.

Do they count experience as a nationally registered EMT-Intermediate toward their experience requirement? Would mentioning travel experience be helpful? Any advice with regard to resumes? If you start out as a 1 1/2 stripe officer do you get two stripes eventually? What is the promotion structure? Any info you can provide would be awesome!

Thanks again!

As for EMT-I, no. Its only as a paramedic that they start the clock (the 4-5 years as a EMT-B did not count in their eyes), and they've dialed up their requirement to 5 years +. That's more rumor than fact, I haven't checked the page since I got hired.

Beyond that, I can't say, there's no promotion in the medical department right now for medics. Its too new a position to create "senior" paramedics. Any other questions and I'll get back... sporadically.

pamedic38

Forum Ride Along
while employed with Princess Cruise Lines, are you provided with any health benefits and also, do you qualify for unemployment during your two months off?

CruiseMedic

Forum Probie
paramedic38,

There is no health insurance per say. While on ship, you have free health care to a certain extent. There are a few things they won't cover as it is in your contract which includes dangerous sports, i.e.. skydiving (did it anyway), scuba diving (did it anyway), rental of motorbikes (did it anyway). They cover any acute illness, no chronic illness' and the medications that go along with it, such as HTN meds. It is highly recommended that you supplement yourself with a specific travel insurance for working seamen which is what I do. It'll pick up where Princess doesn't cover. They do not cover you during holidays, only while on contract.

As for the clinical interview, it's not hard, but I guess that depends on your experience and background and it's not so much as what you know, just what your thought process is during the event.

Ciao from Dubrovnik, Croatia today!!

pamedic38

Forum Ride Along
Thanks CruiseMedic....

They are contacting me this week for the clincial interview. Is the travel insurance expensive? Just ballpark figure. Also, do you qualify for unemployment during your 2 months off? Thanks again....

nailstab28

Forum Ride Along
paramedic38,

There is no health insurance per say. While on ship, you have free health care to a certain extent. There are a few things they won't cover as it is in your contract which includes dangerous sports, i.e.. skydiving (did it anyway), scuba diving (did it anyway), rental of motorbikes (did it anyway). They cover any acute illness, no chronic illness' and the medications that go along with it, such as HTN meds. It is highly recommended that you supplement yourself with a specific travel insurance for working seamen which is what I do. It'll pick up where Princess doesn't cover. They do not cover you during holidays, only while on contract.

As for the clinical interview, it's not hard, but I guess that depends on your experience and background and it's not so much as what you know, just what your thought process is during the event.

cruisemedic,

do you have any website wherein I would be able to know the specific ships with a medic job vacancy?

nailstab28

Forum Ride Along
medic inquiry

paramedic38,

cruisemedic,

do you have any website wherein I would be able to know the specific ships with a medic job vacancy?

pamedic38

Forum Ride Along
Are there any medics currently employed by Princess out there that can direct me into the right type of Health Insurance to obtain, quotes and websites with this info? I see cruise medic mentioned something about Travel Insurance for working seaman...........does this cover you when you're on your 2 months off? Any advice would be much appreciated. Scheduled for clinical skype interview, trying to get all my ducks in a row. Also, do you qualify for unemployment on those 2 months off?

CruiseMedic

Forum Probie
pamedic38,

Here is an email address, PCLpm@mhginsurance.com to get a quote. MHG Insurance is for maritime employees such as ourselves. This is to get supplemental insurance including your time off. As for unemployment, that depends on your individual state's requirements, you'll have to look in to it yourself.....sorry.

CruiseMedic

Forum Probie
nailstab28,

Sorry, there is no such website and that information is impossible to obtain. There are no vacancies on individual ships as you do not work on a specific ship. By that, I mean Princess assigns you a ship which you could be in for that entire contract (4 months) or could be transhipped at any time for staffing purposes on other ships. Hope that makes sense.

Ciao