Post the # your test stopped at, and if you Passed/Failed

EMTJDUB

Forum Probie
I just found out today I failed, it shut off at exactly 80 questions and my last question I know I answered wrong. This was my second attempt and I am very frustrated. Any advice?

Basic or Medic? I know it's frustrating!! I didn't pass my first time. I honestly think it's more common for people to fail it once or twice before they pass. Just hit the books and study ur @$$ off for a couple weeks, be prepared for scenario questions!! Keep focus and u'll get there!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay.. What is the big deal of where it stops?

First, it is designed to stop either on a correct answer or pilot study question. One CANNOT go below a 60 or 70. So BS to the one that said 40! Sorry, it cannot be done. Even then there are a percentage of pilot questions upon it, approximately 10-20.

There is really NO need to post of where the test stops. Why? There are a test bank of over 10,000 questions. One will never receive the same question as they did before, especially if one is retaking the examination.

Now, with that saying; there is only so many ways one can ask ..."how to open an airway"... So similar; but no not the same.

Apparently, many must not be reading my posts in regards to the test. Just alike the test most never read the questions so hence they fail...

AHA is the authority in regarding CPR, ACLS etc... Again, just read my posts.. I do really know; it came from the horses mouth.

One can not compare with numbers. The test is designed to be based upon difficulty per appropriate answered question. Again, no one knows the weight until evaluated.

Sorry, the test is firm but not difficult. Over 65% pass the first time, the average time is about 30 seconds per question and less than 5% has ever gone way past the time allowed. Now, that is not the same as one going over the time for correct answers which many run out of questions before the number of correct can be achieved.

How to study? Simple. Download the NHTSA curriculum. Make sure you can answer each objective with ease. Know not just the correct answer but what is not correct thing to do. Actually, read the question and ask .. What are they really asking?....

Do not assume it is always A B C's or oxygen NRBM @ 15 lpm or rapid transport or the longest length of an answer aways makes it the best answer.

So post the number is you want, it is irrevelant. The number means nothing..

Last edited by a moderator:

firemedicmom

Forum Ride Along
I agree with you in regards to the number. I have been speaking with one of the exam coordinators with the NR and he actually told me the least amount you can shut off at is 80. I don't know how people say they are in the 70's. I do not however agree with the pass rate. In Michigan the pass rate for the first time is 42%. That is right out of school. I am at my 2 year mark and the odds are against me as it is. I am doing as the NR advised and going through the objectives but there are 100's of them. I am also reading the AHA 2005 ACLS and ECC book, they told me that is where they get alot of test info from.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree with you in regards to the number. I have been speaking with one of the exam coordinators with the NR and he actually told me the least amount you can shut off at is 80. I don't know how people say they are in the 70's. I do not however agree with the pass rate. In Michigan the pass rate for the first time is 42%. That is right out of school. I am at my 2 year mark and the odds are against me as it is. I am doing as the NR advised and going through the objectives but there are 100's of them. I am also reading the AHA 2005 ACLS and ECC book, they told me that is where they get alot of test info from.

Not all states have equal; some better some poor. Overall the average is over 60% (one can find this on their web site). What is surprising is states that have poor testing results are aware of this and yet have not changed their methodology of education and teaching. One should NOT blame the tests but their system.

It is good you are going over the objectives. In all truthfullness; you should had covered all and more of these objectives in your education.

If we were discussing the Bar Exam or Medical School Boards, would we blame the tests or the one's teaching or taking the tests?

For each year one does not take the test; the higher percentage of failure will go up. This is no matter what medical examination one might take. As well, the higher educated person teaching the course; the higher percentage of pass rate. Statistics can be manipulated but does not lie.

The NREMT does want failure; their primary responsibility and mission is to assure safety to the public. They test the minimum allowable to demonstrate safety within the profession.
R/r 911

firemedicmom

Forum Ride Along
Well of course, that is a given! Anyone can realize that the program you take will have an impact on how you do during your exam. However, you have to look at the school/programs history, in some or maybe many cases the program is not to blame. In Michigan I can say that the programs are very poorly monitored by the state. Several complaints have been made.

I am not at all placing blame anywhere except on myself. I waited far to long to begin the testing process but at the time had no other choice. So for now I will continue to study and do my best and hope that I will be able to pass on one of my last 2 attempts.

I am not a good test taker, I read into the questions or read them to fast not taking the time to really ask myself what they are asking. As far as the National Registry, the few people I have been dealing with have been great! Very supportive as well as offering any assistance or advice they can give.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant

The least amount it can shut off is not 80. I took mine on March 4th, and it shut off at 72. I passed it the first time around. I took it in California since it is national I doubt the state in which you take it would very, but I could be wrong about that.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The least amount it can shut off is not 80. I took mine on March 4th, and it shut off at 72. I passed it the first time around. I took it in California since it is national I doubt the state in which you take it would very, but I could be wrong about that.

It is not 80 but approximately 70 or so. The reason I state such is that one is given pilot study questions on each test (if not a retest). The lowest is about 70 or so and the maximum is about 120.

There is NO differential from state to state. It is graded immediately, and then the results is downloaded four times a day at the NREMT. If it is past 1:30 Eastern time, the results will posted the next business day.

p.s. the test is NOT actually contained at the NREMT for security reasons.

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well of course, that is a given! Anyone can realize that the program you take will have an impact on how you do during your exam. However, you have to look at the school/programs history, in some or maybe many cases the program is not to blame. In Michigan I can say that the programs are very poorly monitored by the state. Several complaints have been made.

I am not at all placing blame anywhere except on myself. I waited far to long to begin the testing process but at the time had no other choice. So for now I will continue to study and do my best and hope that I will be able to pass on one of my last 2 attempts.

I am not a good test taker, I read into the questions or read them to fast not taking the time to really ask myself what they are asking. As far as the National Registry, the few people I have been dealing with have been great! Very supportive as well as offering any assistance or advice they can give.

Unfortunately, this happens to often within EMS. I still blame the school systems though. They are in the business of knowing what accredited type programs require and need to be successful. Just because EMS is lacking does not mean that they should be able to ignore the problems, they are not able to do that with other educational courses.

Michigan and any other state that has poor pass rates should be placed upon some monetary fine or penalty until their pass rates increase. This would possibly encourage better educators and institutions. It is not about being able to just pass the test; rather to make ensure that graduates are able to be safe enough to provide care. At this time; this is one of the only way to determine such. Unusually, we also test the skill portion unlike many of the other health care providers do not require.

If your state has a poor pass rate, I would encourage to rally with others to investigate why? Demand that your state takes action. Having a poor percentage implies something is wrong.

R/r 911

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
It is not 80 but approximately 70 or so. The reason I state such is that one is given pilot study questions on each test (if not a retest). The lowest is about 70 or so and the maximum is about 120.

There is NO differential from state to state. It is graded immediately, and then the results is downloaded four times a day at the NREMT. If it is past 1:30 Eastern time, the results will posted the next business day.

p.s. the test is NOT actually contained at the NREMT for security reasons.

R/r 911

I did'nt think it varied state to state, but was not a 100% sure. I had to wait till the next day I was a walking basket case. It was not as hard as I thought it would be, but still fairly difficult, it shut off so abruptly I was certain I failed. When it said pass I was so excited it is a good feeling. Now all I need is a job. I am ready.

firemedicmom

Forum Ride Along
I do not know about the test question stuff or the state to state comparison, I was only going by what the gentleman from the NR told me yesterday. It does not matter to me if it shuts off at 72 or 702, I just want to pass! Lol. As far as our state, I would love to fight it but my first priority has to be the exam. I only have until May 15th to pass. That will only give me 2 more shots because of the 15 day waiting period. I realize the NR gives through the end of May however Michigan is saying the 15th is it. Any other advice anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.:)

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I do not know about the test question stuff or the state to state comparison, I was only going by what the gentleman from the NR told me yesterday. It does not matter to me if it shuts off at 72 or 702, I just want to pass! Lol. As far as our state, I would love to fight it but my first priority has to be the exam. I only have until May 15th to pass. That will only give me 2 more shots because of the 15 day waiting period. I realize the NR gives through the end of May however Michigan is saying the 15th is it. Any other advice anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.:)

continue studying the objectives, know your abc's inside and out. there were quiet a few peds and ob on mine but it is never the same twice, as rid has mentioned download the NHTSA Curriculum. Good luck

firemedicmom

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the advice, I am working on objectives as we speak! I have a question, though. On the registry exam they told me if you start to get more questions in one area that means you are failing that section. So is it common to get a few cardiac strip questions or does that mean you are doing bad. I am usually very good with static and dynamic cardio but I had 3-4 strips on my exam.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One usually obtains more difficult questions as one is doing well, and easier questions if one is doing poor. I am not sure in regards of strips.. since each question is randomly given per computer.

R/r911

8jimi8

CFRN
73 questions, first time pass, in Texas. My course was an online program Training Division.com which has a 95% first time pass rate for Basics.

I felt ok because i had just gotten out of an NCLEX review class. Which is a class geared at making you pass the nursing Computer Adaptive Test, so i had my mind fresh with CA-testing strategies. It did scare me when the test ended so abruptly, but I felt i had passed because I was getting really hard questions and I knew the core material.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
60 and passed

Sorry, I doubt that as unless you retested. There are at least 10 pilot questions on each test and one has to pass over 60 (without them).

R/r 911

LincNebr

Forum Probie
doubt it if you want. i only took the test once and it stopped at 60.

I just don't get it...as this is not the first person that said the test stopped at a lower number. We must be missing something. :wacko:

Tom in Lincoln