police officer keeps man from dying relative

VentMedic

Forum Chief
i don't that taking the cops money is going to help the family. its not going to bring their mom back, and i seriously doubt that they are hurting for money.

Lawsuits can also be a good way to see that retraining or addtional education happens in a department. It doesn't have to always be about the money.

Example:
Rosenbaum vs Washington D.C. EMS

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Lawsuits can also be a good way to see that retraining or addtional education happens in a department. It doesn't have to always be about the money.

Example:

Or it can put a service out of business, leaving the citizens of a community without an ambulance and waiting longer for mutual aid units when minutes might matter.

OP
OP
A

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
And what's the point? Why would you WANT to see a loved one be declared dead? It doesn't alter the outcome in any way, and I seriously doubt you would want that to be one of the last memories you have of that person.

for some people it helps, obviously not for you, but unfortunately not everyone can be as awesome as you are.(i'm just kidding please don't get mad);)

OP
OP
A

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief

Example:

i agree it doesn't have to be about money, but ridryder was saying he hopes the family takes the officer's pension

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone else get really...ticked off when they hear people talking about running red lights and such? On the other board I'm afraid I got a bit heated with everyone saying they would have done the same thing.

"The rules are more like guidlines"

Words I live by. Besides, while I do quite appreciate law enforcement, people are not always going to react the way any given official wants. Additionally it is not the role of LEOs to administer justice, in our society that is the responsibility of the judge.

Safety is very admirable, but we are not the United Nanny States of America, though sometimes I think that would be more appropriate.

JPINFV

Gadfly
if I do, then yes I DO have to be there for the birth because the person(s) involved will (hopefully) still be alive for me to answer to. The dead can't give a crap. And I've had plenty of sick and dying relatives. But I never broke the law to go watch them die. I make the most of what time I have with them.

Why do you have to be there? The baby is going to come out into trained hands regardless of if you are there or not. After all, the hospital staff can coach the mother and hold her hand. "None of which involves *you*, meaning *your* presence is irrelevant." Besides the dead, how about caring and comforting the living that are watching the relative die? Maybe they'd like to have a little emotional support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Never getting married, thanks, and if I do, then yes I DO have to be there for the birth because the person(s) involved will (hopefully) still be alive for me to answer to. The dead can't give a crap. And I've had plenty of sick and dying relatives. But I never broke the law to go watch them die. I make the most of what time I have with them.

How old are you? Apparently you have never truly lost a real loved one yet! Tell me after you really have lost a loved one or have a seriously ill child that is in ICU that a simple traffic violation given by a civil servant takes more precedence and which is more important! Until then you really don't know what you would do.

Again, there are more appropriate ways of dealing with this than what he did. It was his egotistic and superiority complex that caused the problem. He was going to show them who was in charge and he did. I guess now, he really found out who was really in charge, huh?

I doubt this is really over, if the family is pissed off enough they can keep him in personal litigation for years enough to break him and I hope they do.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Never getting married, thanks, and if I do, then yes I DO have to be there for the birth because the person(s) involved will (hopefully) still be alive for me to answer to. The dead can't give a crap. And I've had plenty of sick and dying relatives. But I never broke the law to go watch them die. I make the most of what time I have with them.

Because you have little compassion for the suffering of others does not mean all in medicine feel that way. Maybe you and your relatives are not close. No one deserves to die alone. Hospitals do notify loved ones if death is near. The patients have a right to have their families nearby when they are dying. That is why hospitals make the exception on visiting hours to acommondate the families of those who are seriously ill or dying.

People don't always die with the heroics you mentioned. When a patient is in comfort care in a hospital, the patient can be conscious, alert and talking when they may start to show signs of weakening. That is when the family is called.

If the baby is born alive, hopefully it will still be alive later so no, you don't have to be at the birth. And, if the baby dies at birth, you again don't have to be there even for your wife just like your statements for this other family not needing to be there for anyone at the time of death. I, myself, find this difficult to even type something like this but I find your statements even harder to comprehend.

Your inexperience and lack of education on medical issues are showing.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Why do you have to be there? The baby is going to come out into trained hands regardless of if you are there or not. After all, the hospital staff can coach the mother and hold her hand. "None of which involves EMTinNEPA, meaning [your] presence is irrelevant." Besides the dead, how about caring and comforting the living that are watching the relative die? Maybe they'd like to have a little emotional support.

Because the mother will make my life a living hell forever if I'm not there!

Emotional support changes nothing. Am I the only one who doesn't see the point in flying to the hospital like a bat out of hell to see a relative who doesn't have a pulse and isn't breathing continue to not have a pulse and not breath?

JPINFV

Gadfly
So you can speak to the family dynamics of Mr. Moat's family, or does it only matter if someone makes your life a living hell?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Emotional support changes nothing. Am I the only one who doesn't see the point in flying to the hospital like a bat out of hell to see a relative who doesn't have a pulse and isn't breathing continue to not have a pulse and not breath?

No where did they say this patient was already dead. They said she was dying.

People don't always die with the heroics you mentioned earlier. When a patient is in comfort care in a hospital, the patient can be conscious, alert and talking when they may start to show signs of weakening. That is when the family is called.

The patient may have a few hours or a few minutes left.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Your inexperience and lack of education on medical issues are showing.

As are your self-righteousness and misguided notions of superiority and competence based on seniority, as well as your eagerness to make feeble attempts to discredit those who don't agree with you by throwing said seniority around.

If somebody is going to die, they're going to die. Why would you want your last memories of this person to be them slowly not being able to breath before their heart stopped forever? You make the most out of what time you have with them. Leave nothing unresolved. Then you won't have to drive like a maniac because you feel you have something "unfinished". Besides, getting T-boned while running a red light will just leave two funerals for the family to go to instead of one.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

First he was not "flying" as it was even described. Again, come and post when an immediate family member dies and tell me that you did not mind not being there, or an immediate family member is seriously ill or injured and you are going to be "rationale" and not mind the delay. Until then you are presuming and lack life experience.

Why did the officer not just issue the ticket and be done with it instead of delaying? Why condone a badge toting ego? He could had written the simple citation and left it on the windshield as I have seen it done.... or here is new one... be compassionate! Wow!

There are plenty of good LEO out there but there are way too many that we give a little bit of authority and tin badge with a loaded gun and we get what we saw.

Driving ordinances are designed for safety not for the letter of the law. The intent of why, the law was developed should be evaluated. This citation would have been thrown out of court as the officer realized it. Again, it was his attitude and egotism that was the problem not the occurrence. He wanted to demonstrate his superiority and power alike many do. The wise ones learn to use common sense, apperantly this one refused to do so.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
How old are you? Apparently you have never truly lost a real loved one yet!

I've lost three of my grandparents, who practically raised me because my parents were too busy not giving a crap. Who the hell do you think you are to tell me that I didn't love my grandparents?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Not that it makes a difference, but you're assuming they were told that. Fifty bucks says they were not told that, if in fact it were even true.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Why did the officer not just issue the ticket and be done with it instead of delaying? Why condone a badge toting ego?

Because they were getting out of the car and going into the hospital before the cop had even finished parking his car. How was the cop supposed to know if they really had a dying relative? A cop I spoke to has heard three dying relative stories, NONE of which turned out to be true. The cop had a job to do. I don't know if you watched the same video I did, but shouting at a cop semi-hysterically and not showing a license or insurance when asked to is NOT going to get the cop to let you go inside in a timely manner.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Veneficus

Forum Chief

I do not beleive people should "fly like a bat out of hell"

However, I see a distincton between that and "driving with due regard for public safety." Otherwise there would be no reason to use lights and sirens (or any other exception to traffic laws) to respond to an "emergency." Especially a call that came in an unresponsive, not breathing. according to your perspective, dead is dead right?

I have been injured to the point of unconscious, I could hear what people were saying, though I could not respond. It is nice to hear a familiar voice.

Be careful in your righteousness, there is more to medicine than science. There is also humanity.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Safety is very admirable, but we are not the United Nanny States of America, though sometimes I think that would be more appropriate.

I guess my gut reaction to the running a red light is because it's such a problem in my area.