police officer keeps man from dying relative

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Because they were getting out of the car and going into the hospital before the cop had even finished parking his car. How was the cop supposed to know if they really had a dying relative?
It doesn't matter. The only violations he had on them were traffic, and there was only one driver in that vehicle. The driver, to his credit, stayed with the vehicle. That is all the officer needed. And moments later, he didn't even need that.

OP
OP
A

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Umm, why are you dragging me into this?

if you go back and look at his thread it says my name. i don't see where it show your's. i'm confused. :wacko: lol.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
How was the cop supposed to know if they really had a dying relative? A cop I spoke to has heard three dying relative stories, NONE of which turned out to be true.

Did any of them have medical personnel from the hospital backing up their story in the parking?

Watch the video. Read the article. Get your facts straight.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
It doesn't matter. The only violations he had on them were traffic, and there was only one driver in that vehicle. The driver, to his credit, stayed with the vehicle. That is all the officer needed. And moments later, he didn't even need that.

To repeat, a cop I spoke to had three "dying relative" stories, NONE of which turned out to be true. For all the cop knew, the others were going inside to dispose of contraband. If they had stayed in the car and calmly explained what was going on, I doubt there would have been a problem.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Never getting married, thanks, and if I do, then yes I DO have to be there for the birth because the person(s) involved will (hopefully) still be alive for me to answer to. The dead can't give a crap. And I've had plenty of sick and dying relatives. But I never broke the law to go watch them die. I make the most of what time I have with them.

I've lost three of my grandparents, who practically raised me because my parents were too busy not giving a crap. Who the hell do you think you are to tell me that I didn't love my grandparents?

Wow! Too much information there but again I am personally seeing a trend. We can see where such positions as those as LEO, has have to be empathetic and have compassion; just alike our profession. This is the reason pre-behavioral and psychiatric evaluations are given to LEO and should be given to those entering EMS as well.

Not everything in life is black & white. Laws are based upon the interperation of the circumstances and enforcing is done with the same intent everyday. It is called "thinking skills and making rationale decisions".

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
To repeat, a cop I spoke to had three "dying relative" stories, NONE of which turned out to be true. For all the cop knew, the others were going inside to dispose of contraband. If they had stayed in the car and calmly explained what was going on, I doubt there would have been a problem.

obviously their emotions were running high, the first thing that was said was "my mother is dying" granted the daughter was yelling, but i'm sure it was because she knew she didn't have much time and not because they were being pulled over.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Did any of them have medical personnel from the hospital backing up their story in the parking?

Watch the video. Read the article. Get your facts straight.

The medical personnel came out HOW long into the video? The video is 16 minutes long and it from my recollection, it was around the 8-10 minute mark. The officer stepped out of his car to the car's occupants already getting out at the two minute mark. That leaves 2-8 minutes of the driver going back and forth with the cop, screaming "my mother-in-law is dying!" and not just giving the officer his license, registration, and proof of insurance, letting the officer write the ticket, and then going inside to mourn over a (soon-to-be) corpse.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
It's meant to be a "[ you ]" without the spaces, but I guess that changes it to being the name of the person reading it. Kookaburra

Ah ha. Yup, my name is at the back end of that, the quote stripped out the tags.

I was all "What the heck did I do????" LOL

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The medical personnel came out HOW long into the video? The video is 16 minutes long and it from my recollection, it was around the 8-10 minute mark. The officer stepped out of his car to the car's occupants already getting out at the two minute mark. That leaves 2-8 minutes of the driver going back and forth with the cop, screaming "my mother-in-law is dying!" and not just giving the officer his license, registration, and proof of insurance, letting the officer write the ticket, and then going inside to mourn over a (soon-to-be) corpse.

Do you not understand the difference between dying and dead?

Sasha

Forum Chief
As are your self-righteousness and misguided notions of superiority and competence based on seniority, as well as your eagerness to make feeble attempts to discredit those who don't agree with you by throwing said seniority around.

If somebody is going to die, they're going to die. Why would you want your last memories of this person to be them slowly not being able to breath before their heart stopped forever? You make the most out of what time you have with them. Leave nothing unresolved. Then you won't have to drive like a maniac because you feel you have something "unfinished". Besides, getting T-boned while running a red light will just leave two funerals for the family to go to instead of one.

For someone with such a self proclaimed interest in death, you just don't seem to be getting it. Not everyone is like you. Some find comfort in having family or being with family during their moments. No one wants to die alone. it's a personal comfort. for both the living and dying. if we follow your logic, why does anyone get visitors in the hospital? it's not like it makes much of a difference in their outcome.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Do you not understand the difference between dying and dead?

That's why I placed "soon to be" in parenthesis, because she may or may not have been dead when they arrived, and if she wasn't, she was still dying.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
That's why I placed "soon to be" in parenthesis, because she may or may not have been dead when they arrived, and if she wasn't, she was still dying.

So what is so wrong with being by the patient's side when they are dying?

Do you have a problem with the process of death? Is that why you weren't by the side of those you have lost?

That doesn't mean everyone has those same issues with the dying process.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
So what is so wrong with being by the patient's side when they are dying?

Do you have a problem with the process of death? Is that why you weren't by the side of those you have lost?

That doesn't mean everyone has those same issues with the dying process.

There was a medic I worked with once... every time he and I did a shift on the same truck we got a DOA. We worked together a lot. So I've seen plenty of death. I just don't see the point in risking death to witness death.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
There was a medic I worked with once... every time he and I did a shift on the same truck we got a DOA. We worked together a lot. So I've seen plenty of death. I just don't see the point in risking death to witness death.

You didn't answer any of the questions.

Do you honestly think that to "witness death" was what the family was rushing in there far?

The patient WAS NOT dead at the time of the call.

reaper

Working Bum
Dude, You need to relax and quit taking everything personal! When you get more experience dealing with stuff like this, you will see what they are talking about!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

There is much difference in seeing and being part of the grieving process. I have too seen many deaths and even worked with the M.E. services but this did not excuse the understanding of the grieving process or not recognizing the emotional impact of those grieving. In fact, part of the problem of EMS is we do not properly educate those with the psychology of death & dying. It is the final act of living.

Again, I believe we should screen those that enter this profession better. This profession is all about being empathetic (not sympathetic) and major part of this job is being compassionate and having an understanding. It is far much more important and in comparison will be used a heck of lot more than anything that was in a EMT book.

The officer did not demonstrate either one, as he should have. Now; his career has been blemished forever. He forgot his primary role over enforcing the letter of the law.

R/r 911