police officer keeps man from dying relative

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
You didn't answer any of the questions.

Do you honestly think that to "witness death" was what the family was rushing in there far?

The patient WAS NOT dead at the time of the call.

I answered your second and third questions.

Patient was not dead at the time of the call, but the patient may have been dead when they got there. No, they weren't going to witness death, but why break the law and potentially endanger your own life and the lives of others when you might get there too late, especially when you know you aren't going to make a difference either way?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Patient was not dead at the time of the call, but the patient may have been dead when they got there. No, they weren't going to witness death, but why break the law and potentially endanger your own life and the lives of others when you might get there too late, especially when you know you aren't going to make a difference either way?

Because it is called human compassion.. eh emotions?.... or here is a new one... they call it Love. Who said they endangered anyone?

You never ran a stop sign for less of an event? Again, the intent has to be considered. Now, really how do you think the judge would had ruled? Yeah, the cop knew too.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief

If this had been more than a traffic light, he would have gotten a ticket for reckless driving and speeding also. But, the driver was not doing any of that. The officer also knew he slowed before preceding through the stop light since he witnessed it. You are the one who is making this a felony. But, your main issue is you can not understand human emotions where loved ones are concerned. You have no right to tell people how they should feel or act if they know their loved ones are dying. They are not you. You need to put your own personal issues aside. How you choose to ignore human emotions is not how others may choose to treat similar situations especially where loved ones are concerned.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
There is much difference in seeing and being part of the grieving process.

Are you doing the "using a single post to get on a soapbox and talk to everybody at once" thing, or do you still think I don't know what grieving is?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Are you doing the "using a single post to get on a soapbox and talk to everybody at once" thing, or do you still think I don't know what grieving is?

You answered it by your own posts.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
As much as I would like to continue to discuss death and dying wth EMTinNEPA, I have a memorial service to attend for 4 OPD officers.

It still does not change my mind that this traffic stop could still have been handled better by this officer.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Did the driver make a mistake by running the red light? Yes. Did the officer make a mistake in the way he handled the incident? Yes. I am not arguing the fact that a violation took place, just the way the situation was handled. Was a citation warranted? From watching the video I would say the officer could have let it go with a simple warning. Should the documents asked for been produced right from the start. Yes. But then the driver was someone who was in the middle of a crisis that he was no used to dealing with so his emotions were outweighing his judgment. I think the officer would have had a great effect on the drivers future driving habits if he had have used more of his training and experience to be the cooler head in this case. Even if he had decided to ticket the driver he had all of his information, and could have done it at a later time.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Its funny to read some of these replies,,,there's so many of them that imply "I dont care what the situation is, Im not going to break/bend the law", when we all, yes all, base our actions on the situation. Would that officer have done the same thing if the person pulled over was a buddy he drinks with on the weekends, or his cousin? Cmon. And for medics who say they've never broken/bent the law, or try and justify why the did "only one time",,,,seriously. We all make exceptions, and for anyone to say,,,what he did was wrong,,,NO MATTER WHAT he (driver) should be punished over something minor like this, in a situation like this....please. IMO, He should have been let go and told to drive in safer manner. Its their descretion who to write one to and who not to, which is one of the reasons why my opinion, and the rest, doesnt even matter...LOL.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Time for an analysis with real and not guesstimated time stamps.

The occupants of the vehicle get out of the car at 1:04. The officer gets out at 1:07 and tells them to get back in the car at 1:09. At 1:13, everybody starts shouting at him at once. At 1:34, he lets the passengers go inside, but one stays outside. The thread to tow the car (3:01) came after two passengers disobeyed a direct order from the officer to get back in the car, one request to see the driver's license, one request to see the driver's insurance, and six shouted statements by the driver, including "You go get it!" (in reference to the insurance) and "You're wasting my time!", and a 14 second rant. The threat for jail came after an additional instance of swearing at a police officer, another two rants by the driver, and after the the driver was asked to stop talking five times. Notice that the officer lets everyone besides the driver go inside almost immediately. Notice none of the news networks are showing that part of the video, only the part 6 minutes in where the driver suddenly turns into "Yes, sir, no, sir". The medical personnel speaks to the officer at 7:21. Then, when he comes outside at 13:32 (while his mother-in-law is still dying), he attempts to lecture the cop.

If I ran a red light, and was then pulled over, proceeded to swear at the you, go on three rants, shout six disrespectful statements, all while ignoring multiple requests for my license, my registration, and to stop talking, all while falling back on a story that I conveniently can't prove unless you let me go inside, what would you do? And then, once my story was confirmed, I came outside and attempted to lecture you, what would you do?

OP
OP
A

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
The thread to tow the car (3:01) came after two passengers disobeyed a direct order from the officer to get back in the car, one request to see the driver's license, one request to see the driver's insurance, and six shouted statements by the driver, including "You go get it!" (in reference to the insurance) and "You're wasting my time!", and a 14 second rant.

i think the threat to tow the car was because they were parked in a handicap spot. which at the end, i believe the plano police officer that stopped to help the dpd officer, offered to move for them so they could go up stairs.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
With nothing but traffic charges on him, and his car in my possession? I'd let him go. I have no quota. And I don't have a hang up on trying to assert my "power" when there is nothing positive to be accomplished by it. Only an immature fool with terminally bad judgement would risk such a horribly negative story on his department over a red light ticket. The officer has that discretion, and he should have used it.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
With nothing but traffic charges on him, and his car in my possession? I'd let him go. I have no quota. And I don't have a hang up on trying to assert my "power" when there is nothing positive to be accomplished by it. Only an immature fool with terminally bad judgement would risk such a horribly negative story on his department over a red light ticket. The officer has that discretion, and he should have used it.

Nothing but traffic charges? How about obstruction of justice? How about interfering with the duties of a police officer? How about disorderly conduct? How about disturbing the peace?

medic417

The Truth Provider
How about we lock this idiotic discussion?:unsure:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing but traffic charges? How about obstruction of justice? How about interfering with the duties of a police officer? How about disorderly conduct? How about disturbing the peace?
How about you actually go to the police academy and speak informedly instead of just spouting stuff you think you learned watching Third Watch. I'm sorry, but you clearly do not know what you are talking about. Any such additional charges would have been seen for the vindictive persecution they were and only caused this officer to be in even bigger trouble.

Vent was visionary on this issue, because now a racial component has entered the controversy. Consequently, I'm sure this guy is going to get fired now. Of course, he'll get reinstated on appeal, but his career with this department is still over. All because he let his cocky ego get in the way and just had to show he was "right". He'll be "right" all the way to the unemployment line. At least he only threw away a three year career and not a twenty year one.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
How about we lock this idiotic discussion?:unsure:

Why do the threads that have over the top heated discussions always get locked ???
Why cant we voice our opinions w/o having to worry with the thread nazi's ??? Its not like we're hurting each other,,,or sending threats. :sad:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Why do the threads that have over the top heated discussions always get locked ???
Why cant we voice our opinions w/o having to worry with the thread nazi's ??? Its not like we're hurting each other,,,or sending threats. :sad:

Are you calling the mods nazis? Wow they just want a warm cuddly friendly place.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Are you calling the mods nazis? Wow they just want a warm cuddly friendly place.

LOL, NO, Im not calling, any one person, a name. The last thing I want is another "warning". Im steering clear of all that. :p

And, I dont think that anyone who signed up for this thread was expecting a "warm, cuddly, friendly place"...hehe

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Quinoa.

Yum.