police officer keeps man from dying relative

Sasha

Forum Chief
Where is everyone getting that this is a race issue?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
What shocks me is that the chief threw the officer under the bus. Yes... the officer was dealing with a tough situation, HOWEVER, he pulls over a car with multiple occupants, including a VERY large, angry driver. NFL Players are intimidating by nature... big, strong, tall, and they beat the crap out of each other for our amusement every week.

YES... the occupants of the vehicle were under a lot of stress... HOWEVER, rather than explain the situation to the officer, they yelled at him, cursed at him, and it took a while for the officer to gather all the relevant info

When you get out of a car on a traffic stop without being specifically told to by the officer, it raises his stress level... you are acting potentially threatening and/or might flee. That started the chain reaction that drove this downhill... had they stayed in the car and followed the officers directions, the officer would have been calmer, and it wouldn't have been as antagonistic. I really am surprised that the officer was thrown under the bus by his chief, and that this wasn't just used as a teaching point for the public, breaking down where things went bad.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
YES... the occupants of the vehicle were under a lot of stress... HOWEVER, rather than explain the situation to the officer, they yelled at him, cursed at him, and it took a while for the officer to gather all the relevant info

Did we watch the same video? The fact that they did not curse was even commented on in the news clips.

It was the Plano Police Officer that went to his supervisors concerning this officer's behavior that started the investigation. Not the Moats.

Did you also catch the conversation at the end where the officers knew their policy about not chasing traffic violations but made a joke about it? I imagine his superiors had a field day with that part alone.

Again, a Police Officer should be trained well enough not to escalate a situation by his own actions.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I missed the part at the end...And I must have misheard.

Still... I think the Moats should have some responsibility here.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032609dnmetcopstop.3e9c080.html

Excerpts from Officer Robert Powell and Ryan Moats:

Moats: You really want to go through this right now? My mother-in-law is dying. Right now! ... I got seconds before she's dying, man!
Powell: If my mom was dying I'd probably be a little upset too, but when I saw flashing red and blues, I would stop.
Moats: Did I not stop at the red light?
Powell: You stopped, then you drove through the red light.
Moats: I stopped, I checked the traffic, I waved the traffic off, then I turned.
Powell: This is not an emergency vehicle. You do not have the right to control the traffic.
Moats: OK. All right ... just go ahead and check my insurance so I can go ahead and go. If you're gonna give me a ticket, give me a ticket. I really don't care, just ...
Powell: Your attitude says that you need one.
Moats: I don't have an attitude. All I'm asking you is just to hurry up. Cause you're standing here talking to me...
Powell: Shut your mouth and listen.
Moats: Shut my mouth? Is that how you talk to me, too?
Powell: Shut your mouth and listen. If you want to keep this going, I'll just put you in handcuffs, and I'll take you to jail for running a red light.
Moats: OK. All right.
Powell: I can do that.
Moats: OK.
Powell: State law says I can.
Moats: Yes, sir. Go ahead.
Powell: If you don't settle down that's what I'm gonna do.
Moats: Yes, sir.
Powell: All right, If you don't settle down, your truck's illegally parked – I'll tow that as well.
Powell: OK, I can screw you over. I'd rather not do that. Your attitude will dictate everything that happens, and right now, your attitude sucks.
Powell: OK, I turned my red and blues on as you were going over the bridge ...
Moats: You think I'm gonna stop when my wife's mother is dying?
Powell: You are required to stop. What you're doing does not matter. Red and blues, you have to stop. I can charge you with fleeing right now.
Moats: Yes, sir. ...
Powell: I can take you to jail. I can tow your truck. I can charge you with fleeing.
Moats: Yes, sir, you can. I understand.
Powell: I can make your night very difficult.
Moats:I hope you'll be a great person and not do that.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Still... I think the Moats should have some responsibility here.

Nobody said he didn't have a part in this. He admitted to running the red light and accepted the ticket.

Look at the unedited video which is also on the link to the transcript I posted.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok... Now that I'm watching the full video, I really wonder what I saw before.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Where is everyone getting that this is a race issue?
It was inevitable. Especially in Dallas. There are multiple "community organizers" there that make a living creating racial issues to fan the flames. They are hard at work on this one. If they want to punish this officer, instead of firing him, they should just reassign him to South Oak Cliff. His lifeless body will turn up in an alley in less than a week.

What shocks me is that the chief threw the officer under the bus. Yes... the officer was dealing with a tough situation, HOWEVER, he pulls over a car with multiple occupants, including a VERY large, angry driver. NFL Players are intimidating by nature... big, strong, tall, and they beat the crap out of each other for our amusement every week.
If you knew David Kunkle like I do, you would be surprised if he ever did not throw an officer under the bus. He's built a career on it. And when his little pot-head son got arrested while running from police years back, he was quick to make the charges go away.

As for Moats, at he's 5'8", he is of below average height. His wife is a more imposing figure than he is. She was a lot angrier too.

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032609dnmetcopstop.3e9c080.html

Excerpts from Officer Robert Powell and Ryan Moats:
Powell: All right, If you don't settle down, your truck's illegally parked – I'll tow that as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong isn't Powell a Dallas police officer and isn't the city the hospital is in Plano. Powell was out of his jurisdiction He would not be able to have the vehicle towed. as well Powell violated his services policy on pursuits. If the vehicle were to be towed wouldn't it be the Plano officer ordering the towing. That said I don't think the member should be fired. Powell should be supervised for a little bit.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The initial crime occurred in his jurisdiction, so it is within his authority to have the vehicle towed for that offense, if the guy were to be arrested. Had he failed to produce proof of insurance, city policy requires that the vehicle be towed. But no, he would not have jurisdiction over a parking violation.

If you watch the entire video, you see that it is not a pursuit. The officer was never even near Moats' vehicle until they were already pulling into the hospital parking lot. He was just trying to catch up to him to effect the stop (which is not against policy), so Moats wasn't fleeing up until that point. And policy does not prohibit you from following a violator to the ends of the earth, so long as you are not speeding or busting intersections.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Did we watch the same video? The fact that they did not curse was even commented on in the news clips.

Apparently not because at 3:38, in reference to his insurance information, the driver shouts "Take it out! S**t.", a full 24 seconds before the first threat of jail.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Correct me if I'm wrong isn't Powell a Dallas police officer and isn't the city the hospital is in Plano. Powell was out of his jurisdiction He would not be able to have the vehicle towed. as well Powell violated his services policy on pursuits. If the vehicle were to be towed wouldn't it be the Plano officer ordering the towing. That said I don't think the member should be fired. Powell should be supervised for a little bit.

Plano is one of the many cities within the Dallas limits, such as Lewissville. They have mutual aid and Dallas PD has the ability to patrol the others, as they lie within Dallas.

Same goes for Fort Worth and alot of the other minor cities within here... Fort Worth PD will patrol and conduct business within the other cities as they lie within Fort Worth limits.

Dallas has a law in effect where if you're caught in the city without insurance, you're towed on the spot no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
It was inevitable. Especially in Dallas. There are multiple "community organizers" there that make a living creating racial issues to fan the flames. They are hard at work on this one. If they want to punish this officer, instead of firing him, they should just reassign him to South Oak Cliff. His lifeless body will turn up in an alley in less than a week.

It's sad that a white man and black man can't have a disagreement without it turning to race. This story gave no indication that the officer was racist. Was he wrong, insensitive and egotistical? Sure. Racist? I don't see it.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Plano is one of the many cities within the Dallas limits, such as Lewissville. They have mutual aid and Dallas PD has the ability to patrol the others, as they lie within Dallas.
That is a bit misleading. There are only two cities within Dallas, and they are not Plano or Lewisville. Although they do border each other, Plano lies on the farthest outskirts of Dallas. It's the ninth largest city in Texas, and certainly not "within" Dallas.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The officer should not have resigned.
Maybe not, but it was the honorable thing to do. It was the best possible course of action for his reputation and his future career. He's young. He's got a long life and career ahead of him. If he takes a serious lesson from this, grows up a little, and gets his ego in check, he can still be a good cop. Just not in Dallas. At least not til Kunkel is gone.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
The officer should not have resigned.

Nor apologized. The driver of the vehicle was out of line. I don't care if you have a dying relative or not, there is no excuse for behaving that way in front of a cop and disrespecting an officer of the law like that. Yet another case of cop-hating and celebrities getting off scott free. If the media hadn't demonized the cop like that, do you think there would be sucha a big stink? No there wouldn't.