Pocket mask vs BVM

Rin

Forum Captain
Is there any place that actually habitually does the recommended mouth-to-mask to assist ventilations instead of the BVM? 'Cause I gotta say, there's no mask or face shield big enough to get me to put my face that close to a patient. Folks that got started in the bad ol' days of mouth-to-mouth were hardcore.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No. We're healthcare professionals...we've got the appropriate tools why not use them?

Do they even teach mouth to mask anymore?

I am not risking my health for a complete stranger...I'll take calculated risks but that is not one of them, especially when ventilation is falling out of favor in cardiac arrests.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
ARC still teaches and distributes (covered by fee) "rescue mask" for their CPRO classes. Same class also covers BVM. Not airways.

OP
OP
Rin

Rin

Forum Captain
Mouth-to-mask (w/ supplemental O2) is in all the books as the preferred method because it delivers the highest concentration of oxygen.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
BVM with 25 lpm can achieve nearly 100% oxygen, while Rescue mask require's rescuer's breath, therefore inserting gasses besides oxygen.

Pocket mask makes a good ad hoc BVM mask though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Mouth-to-mask (w/ supplemental O2) is in all the books as the preferred method because it delivers the highest concentration of oxygen.

It is not the preferred method.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It is not the preferred method.
it is the prefered one person airway delivery. In fact, for the AHA CPR for healthcare providers, you start airways with a pocket mask, and only switch to BVM once a second person arrives.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
it is the prefered one person airway delivery. In fact, for the AHA CPR for healthcare providers, you start airways with a pocket mask, and only switch to BVM once a second person arrives.

Really? When I took my AHA CPR for Healthcare Providers course, I don't think we ever even touched a pocket mask. It was always BVM, one person and two person ventilations.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
I would if I had to. No way I'm doing the less effective one person bvm. I don't want that on my shoulders when mouth to mask is recommended over one person bvm. In other instances it would be bvm with supplemental O2.

I actually carry a pocket mask in my purse and a pocket mask and adult bvm in my bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

This.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I would if I had to. No way I'm doing the less effective one person bvm. I don't want that on my shoulders when mouth to mask is recommended over one person bvm.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're clearly very new. Work a few messy arrests, and you'll learn the very last thing you want to do is get your face right next to the chum fountain.

You'd be far better off doing compression only CPR for a few minutes anyway. Stopping to ventilate a code isn't a great idea.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Thank you DE.

Since we're on the more effective path...don't ventilate and just do compressions...since that's what's proven to work along with defibrillation.

Compressions and early defibrillation.

I don't really see ventilations in there...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thank you DE.

Since we're on the more effective path...don't ventilate and just do compressions...since that's what's proven to work along with defibrillation.

Compressions, ventilations and early defibrillation.

I don't really see ventilations in there...

I clearly see it

//troll

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
:nosoupfortroll:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Really? When I took my AHA CPR for Healthcare Providers course, I don't think we ever even touched a pocket mask. It was always BVM, one person and two person ventilations.

This.

They don't teach pocket mask in AHA HCP BLS. Not that I remember and I've taken it a few times...

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
This.

They don't teach pocket mask in AHA HCP BLS. Not that I remember and I've taken it a few times...

They ought to be. It's in the video.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Maybe I just don't remember it.

Doesn't matter, still not going to get me to use one.

It's the kind of thing instructors like to fast-forward through.

I recognize that it doesn't reflect actual practice very well, but I think it's valuable to keep reminding people that one-person BVM kinda sucks and you shouldn't be doing it. (Obviously the preferred alternative would be two-person, not mouth to anything, although I do think providers should be aware of the options.)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's the kind of thing instructors like to fast-forward through.

I recognize that it doesn't reflect actual practice very well, but I think it's valuable to keep reminding people that one-person BVM kinda sucks and you shouldn't be doing it. (Obviously the preferred alternative would be two-person, not mouth to anything, although I do think providers should be aware of the options.)

I do agree with being aware of options. Where I work it'd be pretty rare to not have enough hands around to have a two person BVM going.

When I've had to start bagging in the back with no FF on board (or on scene and fire isn't there yet) I take a BVM mask, my silly little demand valve "ventilator" and attach the circuit to the mask and set it then hold the mask with two hands while the vent cycles at the set RR/TV.

Also our CPAP masks are compatible with these circuits as well and I've had good luck with that with conscious patients that needed PPV and weren't nauseous or actively vomiting. Then I don't even have to hold anything.