Paramedics, did you let your EMT card expire?

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Why or why not?

Obviously, I know the very basic answers:

No - Possibly can find employment as an EMT and to use that card as opposed to a paramedic. Got fire job as FF/EMT, use EMT card. Btw, can you use a paramedic license in lieu of an EMT card? Logically, it should be possible, but I never found out the answer to this.

Yes - costs time/money to update one more card than necessary. Looking at course refreshers, the cheapest I could find was $400, for a 24 hour refresher course.

But are there any better reasons to either keep or not keep your EMT state card? Granted, my national expired ages ago and I'm not letting that lapse, but there is no way in hell I'm letting my NRP lapse.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
ParamedicStudent, you are the first person I've ever heard suggest this. What would be a situation where your EMT card would be more beneficial than your paramedic card? I can't think of any.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Never heard of keeping an emt card once you get your medic unless it's in a different state you dont want to payto upgrade yet. I think I tossed my emt cards when I upgraded.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My medic card counts as an EMT card. If for some reason I was required to get an EMT card I would just need to ask my county/state for it and it would be provided to me as long as my medic license is valid.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It is a waste of time and energy to keep both your paramedic and EMT cards valid. Your paramedic card can be used in lieu of your EMT card, unless you work in a super anal retentive system that requires a "EMT" card to function, and they won't allow a paramedic card for some stupid reason (like the job description clearly requires an EMT, no exceptions)

That being said, I know of several people who let their paramedic lapse, and went down to just an EMT certification because they didn't need to be a medic for their job description (firefighter/EMT, administrative supervisor, etc), and didn't want to keep up with all the continuing education required to be a medic. But I think that was more like a voluntary downgrade in status with the state.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I most certainly let my EMT cert expire once I had my Paramedic License and I think this is the case for most Paramedics. This is because everything that an EMT can do is within the Paramedic Scope of Practice. I am also deemed to be an AEMT or an EMT without any further testing. Should I desire to work at that level, all I need to do is ask the local EMS agency to recognize me as the lower level EMT and as long as I meet any other local requirements (such as local system orientation) I can then work in that system at that level. Now then, since I'm licensed as a Paramedic, I can also go for local accreditation as a Paramedic, and as long as I meet system requirements, I can work at that level (or any lower level, as desired) in that system. Do note that California does a local accreditation for the EMS providers. Incidentally, I have done exactly this once upon a time. My EMT recognition card number was my P number and all the card was for was to show that I had been oriented to the EMS system, that I could work in the system (and so they could also track me), and that I wasn't Paramedic Accredited for that particular system. In other words, the card was simply recognition of "Paramedic working as EMT" for that system. At the time, I was also Paramedic Accredited in another system. Why did I do that? Simple. I needed extra cash, working as a Paramedic in either system wasn't an easy option for me at the time as it was a second job and part time Paramedic jobs weren't available for the days/times I had available.

I would expect that other EMS systems would be generally similar. If I were a licensed/certified Paramedic and I wanted to pick up a BLS shift, I could do so. If I picked up a LALS shift, and there was ALS equipment available, I could likely be expected to perform to full Paramedic function, limited only by what's available.

I haven't actually been certified as an EMT since around 2000 or 2001. I forget which, but it's been nearly 20 years now... as I have been Paramedic licensed continuously since.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
My EMT card was made "null and void" by the state when I got my paramedic card.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
The same thing happens here, so its physically not possible to be certified a both an and a medic in Massachusetts. I cant think of a single example of how it would be beneficial to do so either.

Massachusetts is the state I'm referring to!

OP
OP
P

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the insight gentleman! Even though I am a new paramedic, I dont know everything, an am a student of life. Hence the name is Paramedic Student.
I'm not a student in a paramedic program

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My state and national EMT certification appeared to disappear when I got my medic.

NightHealer865

Nationally Registered Paramedic
TN just recognizes Paramedic as an upgrade from AEMT, so your license number, and expiration date does not change, just what you’re called. They also require you to be an AEMT before going to medic school.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Why be an AEMT before medic, unless medic class is shorter due to knowing more and already being trained.

In Indiana when I worked there, you could go from basic to medic, or nothing to medic with enough school. In Utah, pretty much the same thing.
In Nevada where I work PT they seem to want AEMT, but that just may be where I work.

No one has ever asked me if I was an AEMT before I went to medic school

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Our state just issues you a new MICP card and you get an MICP number, but you still have your EMT number as your system ID. If i ever let my medic lapse, i would automatically get bumped down to EMT and get a new EMT card. So there you dont have to maintain both

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I saw zero reasons to keep my EMT card.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Mine's still active due to when I renewed my EMT and when I got my paramedic. I have no reason to renew my EMT and I see no reason why one would spend time and money renewing their EMT when they have a medic card.