Pa - Physician Assistant

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Out here in California, I'm working with CCT nurses and hopefully trying to get on PICU/NICU cars to work on Health care experience hours for applying.

ER tech is the next step in a couple months - but those are far and few between in SoCal :glare:

Got my BS though already, so thats one step out of the way!
What do you guys think about this plan?

I am banking on my time on a straight BLS truck will count towards patient contact hours, I don't really think that working on CCT truck will really set me apart all that much and since my company runs double medic that's sort of out of the question.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I am banking on my time on a straight BLS truck will count towards patient contact hours, I don't really think that working on CCT truck will really set me apart all that much and since my company runs double medic that's sort of out of the question.

I've seen a few schools that don't count pure transfer work as patient care, and more that don't count volunteer time, but otherwise any ambulance time seems perfectly legitimate to me. In fact, although I certainly don't make these decisions, I think I'd be more impressed by somebody who's been running their own (BLS) calls than by someone who's mainly been assisting a higher level of care on ALS or CCT units. Nothing wrong with variety though, and in California you may not have a lot of options for work environments as a Basic. ED tech would be a great exposure to the hospital environment as well.

After a few years more or less dedicated to working BLS, I'm doing my PA apps now. 6/8 interview invites so far, two pending.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Pt contact hours are Pt contact hours (except volunteer, apparently).

CCT, P/B, or BLS, use your personal statement to highlight whatever experience you have. Then play it up in your interview. For example, I highlighted my CCT experience as being exposed to ICU Pts, and my experience on BLS as frustrating because of lack of any scope of practice and desire to do more.

OP
OP
E

EMT2PAC

Forum Crew Member
I think the title of this thread changed- the assistant is not capitalized. Unfortunately it still has the 's after physician. Can that be fixed? I didn't create it that way....

hmtadlock0806

Forum Ride Along
I go to Campbell University and I am in the Pre Physician's Assistant program. I am about to enroll in the EMT-B course. I was told that CNA hours or EMS hours work. You can bring in your paycheck or like me I work on a volunteer station so I have to get a written letter from my Chief saying I worked so many hours and they would be counted.

OP
OP
E

EMT2PAC

Forum Crew Member
I go to Campbell University and I am in the Pre Physician's Assistant program. I am about to enroll in the EMT-B course. I was told that CNA hours or EMS hours work. You can bring in your paycheck or like me I work on a volunteer station so I have to get a written letter from my Chief saying I worked so many hours and they would be counted.

No 's after Physician. In truth I think a better name is "Assistant Physician". Physician Assistant makes no sense.

JPINFV

Gadfly
No 's after Physician. In truth I think a better name is "Assistant Physician". Physician Assistant makes no sense.

"Assistant physician" makes no sense either since it implies that the person bearing the title is a physician. PAs, just like NPs, are not physicians. On the same note, that's why I disagree with the title "student physician" or "student doctor"

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
On the same note, that's why I disagree with the title "student physician" or "student doctor"

I suppose those titles would almost make more sense for a resident.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I suppose those titles would almost make more sense for a resident.

Well, residents have at least graduated from medical school and can write orders. Also after PGY 1 (intern year), they're eligible for full licensure in most states, thus making them full on physicians.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

They aren't "Assistant Physicians" though...like JP said, that implies they are licensed as a physician and they most definitely are not. I still don't understand what the issue is with "Physician's Assistant", does that not describe their job?

I think PA is a solid option but after my interaction with one tonight I'm not sure. "Have you given him anything?" "8 mg of decadron" " :blink: For an allergic reaction?" "For the anti-inflammatory effects".... "I like your thought process but there are some interventions that come way before steroids for a borderline anaphylactic reaction, sir...do you have IV access?" "No, I figured ya'll could do that."

Thanks for the help chief.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
They aren't "Assistant Physicians" though...like JP said, that implies they are licensed as a physician and they most definitely are not. I still don't understand what the issue is with "Physician's Assistant", does that not describe their job?

Not really. Many consider it somewhat derogatory, similar to "ambulance driver" for EMS.

They "assist physicians" in a global sense of extending healthcare to more people than would otherwise have access to an MD. They don't "assist physicians" like a secretary does. While they're expected to have some sort of affiliation/supervisory/consulting relationship with a physician, depending on the state and the specifics this can be as nebulous as having them available via phone from a thousand miles away.

Most people agree the title of PA is fundamentally pretty trying due to this exact confusion (it gets mixed up with "medical assistant" all the time), but until someone decides to change it, so it goes. I believe one or two states are calling them "physician associates" now.

OP
OP
E

EMT2PAC

Forum Crew Member
Physician's Assistant implies someone who assists a physician, like a secretary or administrative assistant. A PA is a licensed, quasi-autonomous medical professional who works at a level below that of a physician. Assistant Physician or Associate Physician makes it clear that the person isn't a full physician (aka Assistant/Associate Professor, Assistant/Associate Manager, Assistant/Associate Director, etc) but has duties and responsibilities that fall under the supervision of a full physician. It is logical and makes the most sense.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I agree that the title of PA could use a change. People mix up Medical assistant and Physician assistant all the time. Whats the difference? well besides 6 years of education also the fact that medical assistant clearly describes the job in the title. It would be wise for PA's to be called something more accurate like Physician associate or physician extension(extender).

However if PA takes being called his/her official title derogatory, well tuff :censored::censored::censored::censored:, that is what your called :) no one forced you to go to PA school haha, work on changing it man

I got a soft spot for PA's and I think a lot of us in EMS do, unless of course your working towards M.D. or NP ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I wish people would stop worrying what they are called, what does it really At the end of the day? You do your job, you get paid. Stop worrying!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
What about if we called you :censored:? Would you still quietly collect your pay check with a smile on your face? I think words can be powerful, I also think people should take pride in there work. If the title does directly easily reflect to the public and patients of the persons job I SEE NO HARM in changing it? Would you not agree?

OP
OP
E

EMT2PAC

Forum Crew Member
What about if we called you :censored:? Would you still quietly collect your pay check with a smile on your face? I think words can be powerful, I also think people should take pride in there work. If the title does directly easily reflect to the public and patients of the persons job I SEE NO HARM in changing it? Would you not agree?

Good point. Still doesn't fix the fact that the admins changed the title of this thread....

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
However if PA takes being called his/her official title derogatory, well tuff $hit, that is what your called :) no one forced you to go to PA school haha, work on changing it man

Right... but in most official contexts, such as the relevant professional organizations and legal texts, it's "physician" not "physician's."

Whether all of this amounts to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things is another matter, but wars have been fought over names, so I figure we might as well respect the fine points we're aware of. Can't fault anybody the first time, but after that...

hmtadlock0806

Forum Ride Along
I wish people would stop worrying what they are called, what does it really At the end of the day? You do your job, you get paid. Stop worrying!
See I absolutely love this! You decided to go to school to be a PA nobody forced you to. You know what you do and at the end of the day you get paid for it. Stop complaining about your title. I also don't appreciate somebody correcting me...Physician's assistant is correct as well! Seems like you would be old enough to deal with these things in life and not like a 5 year old...just my opinion tho.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Not to nit pick, but Physician's Assistant is not correct as well. It is simply a common misnomer.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
See I absolutely love this! You decided to go to school to be a PA nobody forced you to. You know what you do and at the end of the day you get paid for it. Stop complaining about your title. I also don't appreciate somebody correcting me...Physician's assistant is correct as well! Seems like you would be old enough to deal with these things in life and not like a 5 year old...just my opinion tho.

When you're wrong, you get corrected. If you can't accept that, medicine may not be a great fit for you.

Even your own college calls it a Physician Assistant, as do other luminaries like the Bureau of Labor...