Pa - Physician Assistant

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Please enlighten us further.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Is it better to have the name "Physician Assistant" where the 'assistant' part might not be heard? The more appropriate name, and the one that those who advocate for a clear and unambiguous difference in the title, should be Assistant/Associate Physician. If the first words out of a PA's mouth is "Physician" then the patient is unlikely to hear the rest.

Or how about get rid of "physician" all together and think of a different title. Like "Awesome Medical Dude"

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Actually, I think "Medical Practitioner" or "Assistant Practitioner" would work. Similar to Nurse Practitioner but still giving credit to your medical training or the fact that you are an assistant.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Is it better to have the name "Physician Assistant" where the 'assistant' part might not be heard? The more appropriate name, and the one that those who advocate for a clear and unambiguous difference in the title, should be Assistant/Associate Physician. If the first words out of a PA's mouth is "Physician" then the patient is unlikely to hear the rest.

Out of a two word title, if a word is going to be missed it's the first one, not the last word that the patient hears. That's why it's generally not good to ask connected questions (i.e. don't ask "Do you have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?" Ask each one separately).

JPINFV

Gadfly
Actually, I think "Medical Practitioner" or "Assistant Practitioner" would work. Similar to Nurse Practitioner but still giving credit to your medical training or the fact that you are an assistant.

"Assistant practitioner" might work. The problem with "medical practitioner" (i.e. one who practices medicine) is that it's already describes the person who practices medicine... as in the physician. Can we pick a name that doesn't involve PAs masquerading as physicians? After all, we've already have to deal with the noctor impersonators.

OP
OP
E

EMT2PAC

Forum Crew Member
"Assistant practitioner" might work. The problem with "medical practitioner" (i.e. one who practices medicine) is that it's already describes the person who practices medicine... as in the physician. Can we pick a name that doesn't involve PAs masquerading as physicians? After all, we've already have to deal with the noctor impersonators.

RNs don't practice nursing? They would very vocally beg to differ.

OP
OP
E

EMT2PAC

Forum Crew Member
Out of a two word title, if a word is going to be missed it's the first one, not the last word that the patient hears. That's why it's generally not good to ask connected questions (i.e. don't ask "Do you have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?" Ask each one separately).

False.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Huh? I lost you on that one

I noticed your are an AEMT. Do you call yourself a medic?

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I am just a paramedic and I call myself a basic...:sad:

not sure how that plays into this rant, but I am sure you three will figure something out.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Nursing is nursing, not medicine. In a clinical environment, a "doctor" is the person who practices medicine. Even PhDs in the US aren't going to be called "doctor" in the ICU.

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best