Orange County, CA Ambulance Companies: part-time for Care? Doctor's? Lynch? Help!!!

astressedpremed

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, idk where to work bc I'm hearing so much **** back and forth about all of the companies. YES, sadly I'm stuck in OC (despite living in LA county), but OC also covered my ambulance license charges so there was that. If ANYONE can recommend any other companies out there or give some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

I'm currently a 19 y/o premed student and want to work temporarily (just until the fall semester) bc I most likely will be going to school in LA where I may or may not be able to travel to work anymore. But CARE? PRN? Doctor's??? I was also considering LYNCH bc of their 911 contract (I want that experience), but also I might need to work part-time or have at least work w a company that can do flexible scheduling bc I'm also a full-time student back home in Long Beach.

I'm pretty social & can conform to needs or whatnot when it comes to working with others as well as being a fast learner. Might be reach considering I'm starting new w/ no experience, but I want to work alongside an ALS responder as well. I'm just as impatient when it comes to having no calls or working w/ a company that can't even treat their own workers w/ respect, so I'm going to need some insight before I apply.

Pls help, rn I'm deciding between Doctor's & Lynch. Thank you again!

Last edited:

wtferick

Forum Captain
If you want to only work in OC. I would honestly choose between Care, Emergency, and Lynch. The last time I worked at Care, we didn’t hire part-time. Lynch seems to hire part-time, but you won’t run any of the 911 calls in Placentia as a basic.
Honestly, up to you. 👍

OP
OP
A

astressedpremed

Forum Ride Along
If you want to only work in OC. I would honestly choose between Care, Emergency, and Lynch. The last time I worked at Care, we didn’t hire part-time. Lynch seems to hire part-time, but you won’t run any of the 911 calls in Placentia as a basic.
Honestly, up to you. 👍
Thank you so much! I only have my license to practice in OC so there's that. I heard something about OCEMS covering LA grounds though and not the other way around but there's that. I graduated from West Coast EMT (OC) so I'm pretty much stuck.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
You want to work with ALS? Hop on the 91 and head to AMR Riverside. You have a state EMT card, correct? Why would you not be able to commute to work from school in LA?

OP
OP
A

astressedpremed

Forum Ride Along
You want to work with ALS? Hop on the 91 and head to AMR Riverside. You have a state EMT card, correct? Why would you not be able to commute to work from school in LA?
Yes, I do, but as a full-time pre-med student I’d want to focus more on school, especially if I end up living there I.e. UCLA. At that point I would just work with their EMS team. I just want some experience now so I can figure out additional opportunities that I want to do with an EMT cert

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
Doctors employee here!!! I’ve been here for 6 months and really like the company. The part time scheduling is amazing you literally pick and choose which days you want to work every month, but you have to give them a minimum of 8 available days a month and work a minimum of 3 shifts. We’re primarily IFT, but we have 1 911 contract with Laguna Beach. We have a dedicated 911 ambulance in fire station 1 staffed by A/O’s and one ambulance at Mission Laguna Beach that’s secondary 911, but do CCT’s from Mission Laguna to Mission Regional, along with regular IFTS. The rest of our Crews are daycars that do IFT over the rest of the county, but if Laguna wants to burn one day or if there’s an MCI they’ll pull the IFT crews to Laguna to cover and assist. Really good company to get your feet wet. If you really want 911 Care is probably your only option, but they don’t take new hires part time. Good luck with your decision!

wtferick

Forum Captain
Yes, I do, but as a full-time pre-med student I’d want to focus more on school, especially if I end up living there I.e. UCLA. At that point I would just work with their EMS team. I just want some experience now so I can figure out additional opportunities that I want to do with an EMT cert
At this point, it doesn’t really matter where you work. Just finish your schooling.

OP
OP
A

astressedpremed

Forum Ride Along
Doctors employee here!!! I’ve been here for 6 months and really like the company. The part time scheduling is amazing you literally pick and choose which days you want to work every month, but you have to give them a minimum of 8 available days a month and work a minimum of 3 shifts. We’re primarily IFT, but we have 1 911 contract with Laguna Beach. We have a dedicated 911 ambulance in fire station 1 staffed by A/O’s and one ambulance at Mission Laguna Beach that’s secondary 911, but do CCT’s from Mission Laguna to Mission Regional, along with regular IFTS. The rest of our Crews are daycars that do IFT over the rest of the county, but if Laguna wants to burn one day or if there’s an MCI they’ll pull the IFT crews to Laguna to cover and assist. Really good company to get your feet wet. If you really want 911 Care is probably your only option, but they don’t take new hires part time. Good luck with your decision!
dang, I'll defo consider it--I just need to take this ambulance course to get out of the way but figured I'd weigh my options now. do you think I should call now and talk to someone about it or wait till after the fact? I want to be able to balance my things and have backup plans too just in case I do get rejected from these companies like yours. thank you though, I appreciate it!!!

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member
dang, I'll defo consider it--I just need to take this ambulance course to get out of the way but figured I'd weigh my options now.
dang, I'll defo consider it--I just need to take this ambulance course to get out of the way but figured I'd weigh my options now. do you think I should call now and talk to someone about it or wait till after the fact? I want to be able to balance my things and have backup plans too just in case I do get rejected from these companies like yours. thank you though, I appreciate it!!!
I would suggest applying, I think we’re pretty good on our end on getting back to people the only thing that sucks is our HR is ran by AMR in LA and they tend to suck. It’s a good company to start at and if you’re lucky you can get some 911 experience. But I’ll let you know right now it’s pretty hard to get 911 experience because Laguna is pretty slow during the winter. I’m actually going to AMR Riverside because I’m trying to get more 911 experience. However a lot can still be learned from IFT. Our main station is actually in Santa Ana which might be a little closer since you’re from LA, but we have 2 stations, 1 in Santa Ana and 1 at Mission Laguna Beach

OP
OP
A

astressedpremed

Forum Ride Along
I would suggest applying, I think we’re pretty good on our end on getting back to people the only thing that sucks is our HR is ran by AMR in LA and they tend to suck. It’s a good company to start at and if you’re lucky you can get some 911 experience. But I’ll let you know right now it’s pretty hard to get 911 experience because Laguna is pretty slow during the winter. I’m actually going to AMR Riverside because I’m trying to get more 911 experience. However a lot can still be learned from IFT. Our main station is actually in Santa Ana which might be a little closer since you’re from LA, but we have 2 stations, 1 in Santa Ana and 1 at Mission Laguna Beach
yeah, I was considering that Santa Ana location anyway... but if you say that it's a good company to kind of start off with and have a few 911's here and there, then that's more than okay with me! I definitely don't want to move on until I'm solid with what I know with the easier calls, but when I am, I hope to fulfill some, you know?