Opening for Highly Experienced NRP/Flight Nurse as a Medical Paralegal in Chicago area

paramedikisto

Forum Ride Along
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm an attorney and paramedic with a large law firm in the Chicago area. We are seeking a medical paralegal for our fast-growing medical malpractice department.

Before I get swamped with resumes, please take a moment to read below and consider whether you fit the bill. I'm advertising the position here because I think this is a better method of contacting the ideal candidate.

First off, let me say that the ideal candidate is a highly experienced ALS provider. A wide range of EMS and healthcare experience is advantageous. For example, offshore medics who have had a lot of primary care experience, nurses who have worked in flight, ER, surgery, etc., and for both nurses and medics, plenty of transport experience, particularly of critical care patients. If you're a 25 year 911 medic for 1 fire department, I'm sure you've got great experience, but what we're looking for is a bit broader than that.

Second, this is a position that is ideally suited to someone who has 20 years of experience in the blood, the mud, and the beer, and needs to get off the truck and live a normal life and wants a 9-5 office job. If your idea of reading through a 4000 page patient chart for 8 hours a day is torture...job is not for you. However, if you need 15 minutes and 2 tylenol just to get out of bed in the morning, like medical research, have an interest in the law, are a good reader and writer, and are ready to make a career change, please read on.

The main thing we are looking for is someone who can review patient charts, identify issues with the care, *write thoughtful, incisive reports*, educate attorneys on medicine, do research on current standards of care, talk to physicians in their language and then translate that into normal-person-talk for us dumb lawyers. You will be exposed to areas of medicine you have NO experience in, say, mesothelioma or podiatry. You'll need to educate yourself quickly, and then pass on what you've learned in well-written reports to attorneys in the firm. Perhaps the most useful skill is the ability *think creatively* and come up with ideas for aspects of the case we haven't thought about, exhibits for trial we might need, etc. You will eventually need to develop the ability to relate the medical care to the law: just because someone screwed up doesn't mean there's malpractice.

You don't have to know anything about the law, although of course some familiarity will help. We will teach you how to fill out forms, write legal documents, etc. However, you'll be expected to do a crash course in your off time at home studying law books on areas like torts, civil procedure, evidence, etc. You'll also end up doing some fairly boring but very important paperwork completely unrelated to medicine.

Some basic requirements:

-NRP (or state cert)/RN or BSN/PA or FNP.
-Must be in, or willing to relocate to Chicago. South Suburbs area.
-Salary is negotiable, but this is an entry-level position, so expect to make about what you currently make. However, unlike other positions, there is a lot of upside as you gain experience, and some of our employees have developed nice side hustles based on what they learn.
-We are not "Suits". Work atmosphere is excellent. No Louis Litt types. Be able to work and play well with others. We don't do drama.
-Workload is VERY heavy. You can expect to go home late and have to work some weekends, especially around trial. However, management aren't slave drivers, and they respect that there comes a point when you just have to go home.
-Benefits are very good. Full medical/dental/life/401K/paid vacation etc.

To apply:
READ DIRECTIONS: Do not reply to this post! (unless you want to post snide comments or troll me, which is fine, or just generally discuss medical paralegal work, which would be great)
Send a resume and cover letter to **email removed per rules**
Law firm name is confidential, however candidates will be advised of the employer if accepted for an interview so you can do your research on us. The Firm is very well established, has a good reputation, and is very successful. I'm not revealing it simply because I am doing this on my own and not on behalf of the firm (the firm does have a job posting online, but it's written by HR people who don't have a good concept of what is needed. All those resumes go to me anyway, so this is a chance to bypass the Evil HR Director and get your resume into the right hands).

PLEASE NOTE: While I appreciate that it's always a good idea to apply for a job even if you don't meet all the requirements as noted above, trust me- you won't get any response if you don't fit with what I've written above. However, I am sympathetic. I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE anyone who is interested in this type of work to look into working as a medical paralegal. Develop a good cover letter, take some online classes in paralegal studies, volunteer at a local attorney's office or legal aid to get some experience, etc. There are MANY attorneys who need medical paralegals. Market yourself well to law firms in your area and you can develop a nice income stream as a side hustle or second career. Knock on doors and talk to attorneys, tell them you're interested. Maybe volunteer to review a case and write up a report and if they like it they can contract out more to you. Think outside the box.

Best of luck to everyone!

Jim D.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
couple of things come to mind.....

1) while the job is entry level, what type of salary are we talking about? yes, it says negotiable, but If you are going to pay an experienced provider 40k a year because it's entry level, well, you might want to advertise that ahead of time, so people won't waste their time.

1.5) if you are looking for a 25 year veteran, who has worked in multiple areas, has a BSN, they aren't an entry level provider. so if you think you are going to woo them with an entry level salary, I think you will be sadly mistaken.

2) what does a medical paralegal do? I know a paralegal functions as a lawyers assistants.... but you are asking someone with no legal education or background to "relate the medical care to the law," which might be troublesome if it's an area of medicine that the person has little to no experience in.

3) long days (and night), plus weekend work, doesn't exactly sound like a 9 to 5 job. Is this a salaried position, or hourly? OT compensation for all the extra work, or just part of the job?

4) since I'm assuming this is a niche market, do you offer any relocation assistance? esp since we have people all over the US here.

This sounds like a great position for a paramedic who is in law school, or who is interested in going to law school. Or a great part time/remote job for a bored paramedic (you said yourself that it's 8 hours of reading, and writing well written reports to attorney, no need to be in Chicago for that).

Good luck in your hiring process

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Oh boy did I see this coming. @paramedikisto you write more like most paramedics than I’d think a lawyer does.

Lawyers, firms, and law offices all give me the heebee-jeebes. Anyhow, good luck with the search.

OP
OP
P

paramedikisto

Forum Ride Along
So you want a highly experienced field provider to move to Chicago, get paid entry level wages to work their *** off helping you chase ambulances..........I don't think you are going to get "swamped with resumes"

Good luck ambulance chaser

Entry level wages *for the legal field in this kind of position* Believe me, it won't be $12 an hour, and if that's what you're making as an experienced provider...you're getting screwed.

And FYI, not only am I an ambulance chaser, I'm an....Ambulance Driver!

OP
OP
P

paramedikisto

Forum Ride Along
couple of things come to mind.....

1) while the job is entry level, what type of salary are we talking about? yes, it says negotiable, but If you are going to pay an experienced provider 40k a year because it's entry level, well, you might want to advertise that ahead of time, so people won't waste their time.

1.5) if you are looking for a 25 year veteran, who has worked in multiple areas, has a BSN, they aren't an entry level provider. so if you think you are going to woo them with an entry level salary, I think you will be sadly mistaken.

2) what does a medical paralegal do? I know a paralegal functions as a lawyers assistants.... but you are asking someone with no legal education or background to "relate the medical care to the law," which might be troublesome if it's an area of medicine that the person has little to no experience in.

3) long days (and night), plus weekend work, doesn't exactly sound like a 9 to 5 job. Is this a salaried position, or hourly? OT compensation for all the extra work, or just part of the job?

4) since I'm assuming this is a niche market, do you offer any relocation assistance? esp since we have people all over the US here.

This sounds like a great position for a paramedic who is in law school, or who is interested in going to law school. Or a great part time/remote job for a bored paramedic (you said yourself that it's 8 hours of reading, and writing well written reports to attorney, no need to be in Chicago for that).

Good luck in your hiring process

1) I can't speak for the firm on the salary, because that's something you have to work out. But if it were me, I'd look up what a paralegal makes in the Chicago area with 2-3 years of experience, and start from there, asking for maybe 10-20% more based on how strong ones resume is. Also, keep in mind that there is the potential in law for things like annual bonuses based on firm performance and consulting out to other firms on your own time. A firm is likely to recognize years of experience in medicine, but also to recognize you're still a booter that has to be trained, and whatever you're making now (as an experienced provider) is likely to be where you start. Hence "entry level". Experienced legal assistants and paralegals (btw there is NO certification for paralegal in many states...it's just a title) who work for big firms and have a lot of value-like, say, medical training-can make more than some of the younger attorneys.

2) One of the things you learn as OJT and through self study. There are excellent books called "Nutshells" on every aspect of law. You can read one of them in a weekend and have an idea of what the law is. For example in negligence, you have to have a duty, a breach of that duty, which resulted in cause of harm to the person, and then damages to the person. If the provider pushed a bolus of dopamine IV instead of epi (yes, that happens...) it's negligence...but ONLY if there are damages. You can try suing the guy, but if the worst that happened to you was your BP spiked and they observed you in the ER for a few hours, you're unlikely to have any damages. A medical paralegal might get asked to review a case file, and the lawyers are going to ask, "Any indication that the client is permanently screwed up from this?" They want to know "Yeah, he stroked out and can't use his right arm" or "Nah, scared the crap out of him but he's fine now."

3) Depends. Can be either, and you can usually negotiate that. It's generally a 9-5 job (not for the attorneys though), but there are times-just like when your relief crew calls in "sick"- that you're going to have to carry on to get the job done. If hourly you MUST be paid overtime, by law.

4) Again, you'd have to negotiate it. I didn't ask for it, but I got a good offer and didn't really need it. You can point out what EMS services and hospitals offer for relocation bonuses, and I think most firms would consider it.

Sure, if you're interested in law school, you can try. If you're old, broken down, and need to stop working 24h shifts, it's a good change of pace. if you're working for Bubba Gump Ambulance Svc and there is zero retirement, crappy health insurance, and your "vacation" time is the days you aren't on the truck, then you might be well-served by thinking of something you can do until you qualify for social security.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
... and whatever you're making now (as an experienced provider) is likely to be where you start.

There is so much variation in salary.

I know medics who have worked the truck for decades and don't break $30 an hour. There are also some medics and nurses who are making 100K+ a year.

OP
OP
P

paramedikisto

Forum Ride Along
There is so much variation in salary.

I know medics who have worked the truck for decades and don't break $30 an hour. There are also some medics and nurses who are making 100K+ a year.

Absolutely. And this job might not be for you if you're a DON at a big hospital who pulls down six figures or an offshore medic making $80K a year working month on/month off. I made $19/hr as a medic. I made $20/hr as a law clerk working part time for an attorney while I was in law school. 24H shift on the truck on weekends, 20hrs a week at the firm, and full time as a law student. It SUCKED. But the experience was incredibly valuable.

Something that EMS people probably aren't used to is negotiating salaries. We answer ads, the ads or the interview has a dollar amount, and we take it or leave it. Lawyers literally spend all day negotiating money. They expect you to negotiate your salary. Be a good negotiator. "I make this much money with 20 years experience. I have a very strong skill set. A mortgage and kids. I'm very interested in the job, but I can't do it for what I made 15 years ago. Can you give me $XX/yr?"

Peak

You don't have to be a DON or CNO to make 100K as a nurse. Many of our bedside nurses make that much.

Peak

A few of my friends who work in California as nurses are making 150k a year.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
True statement. My wife pulled just under $100k her first year out of nursing school with reasonably minimal overtime. Obviously, it depends where in California you choose to live as well.

I would think most of the “broken-down seasoned providers” were skiddish about this kind of work, though I have heard of some making careers out of being considered expert witnesses.

After numerous depositions, and probably countless more to come I just couldn’t see myself working that side of the fence. But again, to each their own.

OP
OP
P

paramedikisto

Forum Ride Along

Cost of living? I worked in rural southwest US and ER RN was a $55-65K a year job. Most medics made $45-55K a year. Cost of living is always a factor. I thought a big city like Chicago would be $$$$, and while there are things that are more expensive (mainly food and parking), rents are quite reasonable to my mind. Like a studio apartment in the city, right on the lakeshore costs me $850 a month.

Probably due to the fact the city has lost about 1 million people since the 1970s and they mostly moved to California and Arizona.

@VentMonkey Expert witness gigs are great, and an insane amount of money ($500/hr). I've thought about it, but it's not as straightforward as it looks. Getting deposed is not fun. You really need to learn how to be a good witness- presentation, what tricks lawyers will try to pull on you to trip you up, etc. There are some courses available, and I know one paramedic who has done some of that training and did extremely well. But it's a lot more work than it sounds like, and a lot more stressful than it looks on TV.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Honestly, I like how this job is posted. We're used to seeing compensation, but if it's up for negotiation...

Also, this an ideal side gig for me. More development, less riding the truck.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Since becoming a flight nurse and seeing a lot of poor patient outcomes from questionable care I have been curious about the medicoloegal aspects and legitimate malpractice.

But yeah I bet most bedside nurses, even without the diverse experience you are looking for, in Chicago make $100K. And $850 a month for a studio apartment is about average for St. Louis. I would say you experince of cost of living in Chicago is not the norm.

Peak

I have some family that live in the Chicago area. The rent/real estate prices aren't that bad, and better than what you would expect for a large city.

The catch is almost everything else. Utilities are crazy expensive, like 300 a month averaged over a year for a 2 or 3 bedroom house. Taxes are high. Government regulation is high. High rates of violent crime (including gun crime, despite some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country). Mediocre public schools.