Online paramedic program?

jemt

Forum Crew Member
a EMT was telling me the other day shes taking a online paramedic program and than only has to do her clinicals and ride time.

Anyone ever hear of something like this?

Anjel

Forum Angel
a EMT was telling me the other day shes taking a online paramedic program and than only has to do her clinicals and ride time.

Anyone ever hear of something like this?

Heard of it.

I think it is a VERY VERY VERY bad idea.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
yea its in texas. while it could be done correctly i feel as though the company that is currently doing it is reputable. there is no time spent on skills.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The one is Texas is the only one that I have heard of. I don't know a lot about it, it seems to be catered towards active duty military personnel.

medic417

The Truth Provider
www.percomonline.com does online class with hands on skills classes plus clinicals .
Techpro services closed.

Many colleges now offer hybrids. Online can be as good as regular courses and better if done right.

BF2BC EMT

Forum Crew Member
www.percomonline.com does online class with hands on skills classes plus clinicals .
Techpro services closed.

Many colleges now offer hybrids. Online can be as good as regular courses and better if done right.

Yeah, if it's an online English, math, psych class etc. Online paramedic class doesn't sound good at all. Shortcuts in learning about medicine are never good, espically when it involves people who are the highest authority outside of the hospital.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I am usually an all A or B student.

I failed miserably at online Michigan History.

I live in Michigan. It shouldn't of been that hard.

I cant do online classes period. Guess it depends on the person.

But to learn these skills you need to do them over and over again. I dont know how you are gonna do that online.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yeah, if it's an online English, math, psych class etc. Online paramedic class doesn't sound good at all. Shortcuts in learning about medicine are never good, espically when it involves people who are the highest authority outside of the hospital.

I assure you that quality online programs are not a shortcut.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
I might not move to Texas now :unsure:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Sit in a classroom with a glazed expression listening to a professor, sit in front of a computer listening to the same professor with a glazed expression. As long as hands on time is the same whats the dif? 90 percent of class time is now all power point anyway it seems.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Meh. I live in the same county as the school, which is TrainingDivision.Com, by the way.

As with any school, you get out of it what you put into it.

Is it for everyone? Nope.

However, I have had a number of students ride out with me, many of which have had to take the classes online due to not having any school locally that teaches EMS.

That being said, apparently the school is having to drop ParaMedic due to not being able to gain accreditation.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Meh. I live in the same county as the school, which is TrainingDivision.Com, by the way.

As with any school, you get out of it what you put into it.

Is it for everyone? Nope.

However, I have had a number of students ride out with me, many of which have had to take the classes online due to not having any school locally that teaches EMS.

That being said, apparently the school is having to drop ParaMedic due to not being able to gain accreditation.

Again quality online programs are equal to or better than many regular programs. The quality ones have survived the accreditation process. In Texas and actually the USA there are many online Paramedic programs including some run by colleges.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I was actually going to do this program as well. My friend is an AEMT and He said that he got the materials and started some of the work and the hardest part is the flying out to do the clinicals. I think it's best if you have many paramedic friends or other local Paramedic Instruction resources. I did my pharmacy tech course soley online while working in a retal pharmacy and I passed the national exam my first time. I think that you need to consider it long and hard before jumping into it head first.

That being said, has anyone taken paramedic through Percom?

emt junkie

Forum Probie
I was actually going to do this program as well. My friend is an AEMT and He said that he got the materials and started some of the work and the hardest part is the flying out to do the clinicals. I think it's best if you have many paramedic friends or other local Paramedic Instruction resources. I did my pharmacy tech course soley online while working in a retal pharmacy and I passed the national exam my first time. I think that you need to consider it long and hard before jumping into it head first.

That being said, has anyone taken paramedic through Percom?

I did not do the Paramedic but did the intermediate through percom. I learned alot through the program. You have to be self motivated and self starter to be able to thrive in an online class. My instructor was almost always available if I had questions and was very knowledgable. We had 2 skills weekends and on the third weekend we had a skills testing session which was alot more skills than the national registry requires. At the skills weekend these instructors were extremely knowledgable in the skills that needed to be performed and learned, also the skills sessions were limited to 4 students which gave you tons of one on one if you needed it.

As far as CLinicals go I think as an intermediate I had about 168 hours total of clinical time. Their clinicals were handled through TEEX in College Station and had sites across the state were you could go to do them. I learned a ton from my clinical time.

The final which is online is timed and you're desktop, your voice, and you are monitored, so in my opinion cheating on this would be very hard. However, if your cheating to pass your only cheating yourself because you would probably fail registry if you have to cheat in class to pass. Also, before you start the course if you have not had an A& P course you have to take their A & P for paramedics course.

In order to be successful in the class you have to put for the effort and you have to want it to do well.

I passed my National Registry Skills and CBT first time through, So they must have taught me something in order to pass both first time around. But then again I studied my butt off as well.

Just my .02 on the percom course. I think it is a good program and good for people who work shift work and can not go to class on specific days of the week.

Also, The Homework can be a bear. Some of my homework assigments took me days to finish. They were not cookie cutter questions, you actually have to do research beyond your textbook in order to figure out the answers. Alot of the questions make you have to clear the cob webs from your brain and make you think. I don't think you can "Coast" through this program and expect to pass. You have to work at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Just so you all know there is a med school where the students never go to class. They sit in front of computers watching the lectures. They read the books and take the tests, all without ever going to a lecture. They then do their last 2 years of clinicals in accredited hospitals. At the end of 4 years they graduate and become physicians.

I don't know about you, but I hate lecture. I have no idea what the person is saying and they make no sense to me. It's like being Charlie Brown when he is talking to an adult. I am as far from an audio learner as one can be. I am a book learned. I read the books and it makes tons of sense to me.

So, if you ask me, does online paramedic school sounds good? Yes, as long as their clinicals are of the highest quality and they pass all the exams. Having someone stand there and go "waaa wa waaa wa waaa wa waa waa" is meaningless.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

redneckmedic

Forum Probie
Have heard of it. The girl I know that used it used www.trainingdivision.com Not sure how much it costs compared to an actual course but like everybody else on the forum I recommend taking the actual classes. You will learn more and get more experience in my opinion. My class, for example, was held in the actual ambulance building so if a call came in during classes we were allowed to go out to it in POV to watch and learn. This profession is more of a hands-on learning environment anyway. Not saying throw out the textbook and tune out your instructor, but I have found that there is never a "textbook case" and you may need to modify/adapt your techniques (within the law and scope of practice, of course) to treat individual patients. No two calls are the same, unlike what the book says.