Online paramedic program?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Correct, however living with them and running every call with them is exposure enough to be able to determine their competency.

Like I said, they do not work for us so I cannot FTO them. Also I do not work as an instructor for one of these low brow schools so I did not instruct them.

Sorry, but you just said you don't work with them and have never formally assessed their competency level. That doesn't strike me as being authoritative.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, but you just said you don't work with them and have never formally assessed their competency level. That doesn't strike me as being authoritative.

Nothing I have said strikes me as Authoritative, it strikes me as opinion.

Cept for the numbers I posted.

That being said, since I am here and you are there and we are talking about Texas. I feel I am in a better position to judge.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing I have said strikes me as Authoritative, it strikes me as opinion.

Cept for the numbers I posted.

That being said, since I am here and you are there and we are talking about Texas. I feel I am in a better position to judge.

I can respect your personal opinion, but of course you realize I do not and cannot accept it as fact. It is respected.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
I too took my Intermediate through PERCOM and I can attest that it is not a "shortcut" to getting certified. The homework assignments/case studies/exams are far more in depth than any other program I've come across. Gene Gandy, who along with being a Paramedic is also a lawyer and he is amazingly knowledgeable about anything EMS related, teaches the Intermediate and Paramedic courses. He occasionally writes columns for the EMS World magazine.

Before you even start working on EMS stuff you have to pass their A&P course witch is included in the prince. You are required to participate in a number of chat sessions with your instructor and fellow students that can sometimes last as long as two hours. Along with the didactic portions we were also required to attend three, two-day, weekend classes to learn, practice, and test-out on skills.

Without a doubt, I learned far more and had a better understanding of the concepts being taught in my Intermediate class, than I ever did in my classroom based Basic course. I see no difference between sitting in a physical classroom listening to an instructor lecture out of a book/powerpoint for multiple hours at a time and doing the same course work at your own pace on your own time. In fact I prefer the latter, but maybe it's because I've been in college for almost four years now and am tired of the lecture based classroom setting. :wacko:

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
That is a good number, PERCOM might be the one reputable online course yet.

As far as I know they are probably the only one. I did extensive research on all the programs I found, because I was at first quite leery of online programs since I didn't even know they existed until I stumbled across Training Divisions website then PERCOM's.

Also, I know they were in the process of applying for accreditation when I was enrolled. Not sure if they are finished with the process yet.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
This is all for PERCOM? If so then those percentages look very good.

Yep, those are all PERCOM's percentages.

For a comparison, the 2011 Texas first time pass rate was 74%, 67%, 76%, and 62% respectively, with the overall pass percentages being 78%, 77%, 83%, and 76%.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep, those are all PERCOM's percentages.

For a comparison, the 2011 Texas first time pass rate was 74%, 67%, 76%, and 62% respectively, with the overall pass percentages being 78%, 77%, 83%, and 76%.

So PERCOM's online school has higher pass rates than the tradition in-class schools. Interesting.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
If anyone has any questions about the program and pass rates or such, you could send them an email or even call them and ask them about it, I'm sure they would have no problem speaking to you about anything you want to know about it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Jane really cares about her students and their future patients. Give her a call at Percom .

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's the contact info (WITH phone #): http://percomonline.com/Contact-Us.php

I think one of our writers here should interview them and talk about how they feel the online class relates to a real class, along with the pass rates of their program vs other programs, etc. It would probably bring to light the flaws of many programs compared to theirs.

And I know with Gene, if he thinks you're skimping by bare minimum with your assignment, he'll kick it back and make you re-do it. As well as any research you do on your own for an assignment, you must provide all of your sources and they must be credible.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Here's the contact info (WITH phone #): http://percomonline.com/Contact-Us.php

I think one of our writers here should interview them and talk about how they feel the online class relates to a real class, along with the pass rates of their program vs other programs, etc. It would probably bring to light the flaws of many programs compared to theirs.

And I know with Gene, if he thinks you're skimping by bare minimum with your assignment, he'll kick it back and make you re-do it. As well as any research you do on your own for an assignment, you must provide all of your sources and they must be credible.

You got that right. Dare any students to use Wikipedia as the only reference. Jane and Gene would send paper back failed in a hurry.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
You got that right. Dare any students to use Wikipedia as the only reference. Jane and Gene would send paper back failed in a hurry.

It is unwise to use wikipedia as a source in an academic paper. It is wise to use the references that wikipedia uses, assuming they are reliable and authoritative to the topic.

18G

Paramedic
There is a Community College in PA that offer's a hybrid Paramedic program. The didactic portion is online with skills labs a day or so a week plus clinicals. I have never heard anything bad about this program. If you do choose the hybrid program and decide it's not for you, you are than able to transition into the traditional program at the College.

For me personally, I am not disciplined enough to do an entire Paramedic program online but that is just me. I feel it takes more of a student to do the program online than a classroom setting.

I see no lesser value in education delivered online. What's it matter if the same information comes from a human being standing in front of you or if you receive the same information through your computer in a written, audio, and video format?

Last edited by a moderator: