Online paramedic program?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I found the 2011 one and supplied the link, the 2011 one is the magazine I read and the one I made my initial comment off of. In 2011 the numbers were lower than 09
Hence why the quote you have says, "editing".

JPINFV

Gadfly
...but since it's likely to get looked over, I'll post it again.

EMS Online: 59% out of 22 students. Borderline.
Tech Pro Services: 67%, but only 6 students so not bad.
TEEX: 52% out of 112 students. Really bad.

The problem with 2 of the programs is one isn't nearly large enough to draw a conclusion off of and the other one is borderline. The smaller the denominator, the more useless a percent is for comparison. It's like complaining the school with 1 student sucks if that 1 student doesn't pass.

/bonus post count.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
^This does seem to demonstrate that their numbers are less than stellar. The lesson: online programs work for some, not for all, and perhaps not a majority. There are, however, students who are passing.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Training Division.com 63 students 71% (45/63)

That's passable. It's unknown how many more passed on the second try. I would be interested to see those numbers.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
^This does seem to demonstrate that their numbers are less than stellar. The lesson: online programs work for some, not for all, and perhaps not a majority. There are, however, students who are passing.

And of those who are passing, what is the quality? I have no way of knowing this answer.

I have talked with Medics who went to TEEX, or did Training Division. They stated they feel they are horribly under prepared to be a Medic.

But that is all here say...

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
And of those who are passing, what is the quality? I have no way of knowing this answer.

I have talked with Medics who went to TEEX, or did Training Division. They stated they feel they are horribly under prepared to be a Medic.

But that is all here say...

Presumably, by passing the exams they have demonstrated competency. This is the point of the exams. I'd enjoy to see their progress 3 months, 6 months and one year after passing the exams.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
That's passable. It's unknown how many more passed on the second try. I would be interested to see those numbers.

They don't post that, but they do post the Final passing number after all 3 attempts 86% (54/63)

I would consider it a failure if 71% passed first try, that is a very low number for a test as easy as the Natinal Registry.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Presumably, by passing the exams they have demonstrated competency. This is the point of the exams. I'd enjoy to see their progress 3 months, 6 months and one year after passing the exams.

I've seen it, it = bad

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
They don't post that, but they do post the Final passing number after all 3 attempts 86% (54/63)

I would consider it a failure if 71% passed first try, that is a very low number for a test as easy as the Natinal Registry.

86% pass after all three tries? That's pretty good.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I've seen it, it = bad

How many have you seen? Are you an FTO, ALS instructor, etc? By what objective criteria are you basing this assessment on?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I would have to agree with JP that at least as far as TEEX is concerned, the numbers are alarming. If I saw a law school with a 52% first-time bar passage rate, I wouldn't go there. (Indeed, in doing some research, I was alarmed to find out that several law schools do have California Bar Exam passage rates this low. See the link here. However, some of the schools,at least La Verne, are not accredited by the ABA, only by the California Board of Bar Examiners. And I am somewhat cheered by the fact that of 185 law schools, you'd have to go to the 184th to find a bar passage rate among all graduates of worse than the 52% here. Anyway, moving on...)

JP, how would the AMA react to a medical school where 52% of students in a class passed their USMLE or COMLEX exams?

Like any licensing exam, the NREMT is supposed to be a test of baseline professional competence. So, TEEX is graduating students who are unprepared for even the most basic of paramedic skills. That's unfortunate.

What I'm curious to know is whether Texas, or the NREMT, is looking into this, or whether it is a matter of any concern at all. Or is it all on the students, who are simply not preparing. This is the problem with a retrospective analysis. We can't control the (many) variables.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
How many have you seen? Are you an FTO, ALS instructor, etc? By what objective criteria are you basing this assessment on?

Well, no one who has gone to one of these programs has ever passed the hiring process with our service, so FTO would not be an option. I see them on the fire side(which does not test your medical knowledge) I am an instructor, and I am basing this off of first hand account.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, no one who has gone to one of these programs has ever passed the hiring process with our service, so FTO would not be an option. I see them on the fire side(which does not test your medical knowledge) I am an instructor, and I am basing this off of first hand account.

So what you are saying is that you've never been in the position for formally evaluate them, either as their instructor or FTO. Right?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I would have to agree with JP that at least as far as TEEX is concerned, the numbers are alarming. If I saw a law school with a 52% first-time bar passage rate, I wouldn't go there. (Indeed, in doing some research, I was alarmed to find out that several law schools do have California Bar Exam passage rates this low. See the link here. However, some of the schools,at least La Verne, are not accredited by the ABA, only by the California Board of Bar Examiners. And I am somewhat cheered by the fact that of 185 law schools, you'd have to go to the 184th to find a bar passage rate among all graduates of worse than the 52% here. Anyway, moving on...)

JP, how would the AMA react to a medical school where 52% of students in a class passed their USMLE or COMLEX exams?

Like any licensing exam, the NREMT is supposed to be a test of baseline professional competence. So, TEEX is graduating students who are unprepared for even the most basic of paramedic skills. That's unfortunate.

What I'm curious to know is whether Texas, or the NREMT, is looking into this, or whether it is a matter of any concern at all. Or is it all on the students, who are simply not preparing. This is the problem with a retrospective analysis. We can't control the (many) variables.

As far as the NR? I do not know, Texas has taken a step in the right direction by requiring all programs to be affiliated with a College.

This will not rid us of TEEX, but it will not allow for some online programs or these shanty start ups that are posting extremely low numbers.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Considering a school can be put on probation simply for not having enough study space, probably a lot of bad things. Besides, with how connected premeds are through things like SDN, I imagine there would be few to little takers as most of that 52% wouldn't be eligible for non-primary care specialties anyways.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
So what you are saying is that you've never been in the position for formally evaluate them, either as their instructor or FTO. Right?

Correct, however living with them and running every call with them is exposure enough to be able to determine their competency.

Like I said, they do not work for us so I cannot FTO them. Also I do not work as an instructor for one of these low brow schools so I did not instruct them.

However I am an instructor for other schools so proper level and quality of instruction is not alien to me

Last edited by a moderator: