NYC Covid EMT surge staffing job

KESSC

Forum Probie
Long-time lurker, first time poster here. I just received a conditional offer of employment for a 30 day EMT job in NYC to support the Covid response. Does anyone have experiences working in NYC right now in any healthcare capacity- prehospital, ER’s, field sites, etc? I’m currently working at a FD outside Seattle, so have a little insight into the stress and changes that Covid has brought forth, but we have been pretty lucky over all and I’ve heard some concerning things about things like PPE availability and what is being considered in compliance with CDC guidelines.
Any insight into what it’s like at the heart of the hardest hit areas or working for a contractor domestically for something like this? Thanks all!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
With who may I ask? I have actually applied to several and have not yet heard anything. Unsure if they are fishing for applicants or if they are legit.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
AMR is here, you can also try Ambulanz.

If you want to circumvent the Federal stuff, try some of the local private Ambulance companies i.e. SeniorCare, Hunter, etc. although the pay will likely be lower.

I also posted an email in the COVID-19 hiring topic.
Good luck and thanks for the help.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am a Nomadic Merc for lack of a better word...I travel for $$. Altruism is for my area or my family only.

So appreciate the info, but if I put myself extremely intentionally, then it is gonna be for high dollar.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
I am a Nomadic Merc for lack of a better word...I travel for $$. Altruism is for my area or my family only.

So appreciate the info, but if I put myself extremely intentionally, then it is gonna be for high dollar.

Copy all.

Thats why I gave both options and pointed out the local co. will be lousy money, but they are hiring.
When I hear of more options and there will be more, I will post them up here.

OP
OP
K

KESSC

Forum Probie
With who may I ask? I have actually applied to several and have not yet heard anything. Unsure if they are fishing for applicants or if they are legit.

Will send you a message if I can figure out how :)

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
AK,

St Maartens in the Carib is hiring. Big bucks to work, all found.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
My son (age 19) applied for several COVID jobs in NYC this morning around 0900. At 1600, he was hired for one of them and will deploy in 36 hours. He is going to be a shuttle driver for medical staff, typical overseas schedule (12 hours a day/7 days a week). When not driving he will be quarantined to the hotel the company has taken over. If he gets sick, he is compensated at base wage x 40. At the end of his 8 week contract he will then do a 2 week mandatory quarantine also paid at 40 hours a week. The high hourly wage plus hotel plus $76 a day for food. They do have delivery to the hotel.

He is getting ready to make a ton of money....big risk, big gain.

It IS weird after all these years of me jumping on a plane on short notice and globetrotting, now watching my son essentially do the same.

Oh, he applied to Caliburn/CHS.

OP
OP
K

KESSC

Forum Probie
My son (age 19) applied for several COVID jobs in NYC this morning around 0900. At 1600, he was hired for one of them and will deploy in 36 hours. He is going to be a shuttle driver for medical staff, typical overseas schedule (12 hours a day/7 days a week). When not driving he will be quarantined to the hotel the company has taken over. If he gets sick, he is compensated at base wage x 40. At the end of his 8 week contract he will then do a 2 week mandatory quarantine also paid at 40 hours a week. The high hourly wage plus hotel plus $76 a day for food. They do have delivery to the hotel.

It IS weird after all these years of me jumping on a plane on short notice and globetrotting, now watching my son essentially do the same.

Sorry for the delay. Never figured out how to send you a message directly, but conditional also came from Caliburn. Finishing up paperwork and should have flights scheduled in the next cpl days. Curious to hear what your son thinks after gets on the ground.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Let us know how it goes guys!

Mitchellmvhs

Forum Crew Member

How long has your son been in EMS? I got my EMT-B in December last year and I would love to do this but I don’t have any experience

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
He is not in EMS. He is a Dental assistant, however he is going to be a shuttle driver only...not medical. I wrote it above.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
What is the hourly rate looking like, if you don’t mind me asking? (Ballpark is fine). OT after 40?

OP
OP
K

KESSC

Forum Probie
What is the hourly rate looking like, if you don’t mind me asking? (Ballpark is fine). OT after 40?

-For EMT’s, around $40/hr, 86 hr work week, everything over 40 hrs is 1.5x. Daily food stipend if outside 50 miles.

-For nurses, around $85

Not sure for medics.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
Here is a link to all the hourly rates for all levels of certification.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I wish I could take a few weeks off work. Saw a posting for $10K a week for 3 week commitment in NYC for ICU nurses :eek:

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
This thread is a dupe.

Mods please merge this newer thread with
the " Any Leads on hiring for COIV 19 stuff for EMS ? "
Thread so we can keep all the jobs in one place, as they come in.
Thanks

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
NYC EMS being it's own animal, it's probably better if we kept it separated from the other thread.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
AMR is here, you can also try Ambulanz.

If you want to circumvent the Federal stuff, try some of the local private Ambulance companies i.e. SeniorCare, Hunter, etc. although the pay will likely be lower.

I also posted an email in the COVID-19 hiring topic.
Good luck and thanks for the help.

Ok
A friend tried to get on with Ambulanz as an EMT-B, so now I know exactly what the lousy pay actually is ... $18-20/hr.
So much for hazard pay.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
-For EMT’s, around $40/hr, 86 hr work week, everything over 40 hrs is 1.5x. Daily food stipend if outside 50 miles.

-For nurses, around $85

Not sure for medics.
Have you gotten conf that you are going?