My BIGGEST pet peeves

Foxbat

Forum Captain
"Ambulance ***, respond to a motor vehicle accident with entrapment at ****".
A minute later:
"Ambulance ***, police on scene requests to expedite".
Oh, it's a good thing they told us to expedite. Before that, we were going to stop at Walmart to get some groceries, but now that you told us to...

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
"Ambulance ***, respond to a motor vehicle accident with entrapment at ****".
A minute later:
"Ambulance ***, police on scene requests to expedite".
Oh, it's a good thing they told us to expedite. Before that, we were going to stop at Walmart to get some groceries, but now that you told us to...

This is really just badly disguised police code for, "it looks really bad and i'm afraid to get blood on my hands".

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
I know it's not related to EMS, but, I HATE when I'm at work and I count back change for a customer, and they grab the cash and re-count it. It's like, :censored: you, I JUST counted that back for you!!!

And, related to EMS, I hate when....
*tones*
"Unit 2, dispatch to 123 sesame street for chest pain."
"Copy, en route, request ALS assist." (per protocols)
5 mins later...
"Hi, my name's Kara, what's goin on today?"
Pt: "Oh, I have just been having this diarrhea for 2 hours/my ankle hurts/I cut my finger..."

Makes me want to punch a baby.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
Working IFT during the winter, we would transfer the pt to the cot and the family would immediately go "He needs blankets! It's cold outside! Are you going to give him any blankets?!"

Like... duh?

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Working IFT during the winter, we would transfer the pt to the cot and the family would immediately go "He needs blankets! It's cold outside! Are you going to give him any blankets?!"

Like... duh?

Blankets cost extra and i need payment up front.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Blankets cost extra and i need payment up front.

We just load up the back of the gurney/ambulance with sheets and blankets from the hospital. At any given time I will have 3 sheets and 2 blankets on the back of the gurney :ph34r:

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
We just load up the back of the gurney/ambulance with sheets and blankets from the hospital. At any given time I will have 3 sheets and 2 blankets on the back of the gurney :ph34r:

We get fired for taking linen from facilities

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

During company orientation they told us the same thing. But when I got placed in my division we have an on going relationship with the 3 hospitals in our response area that we can restock from them and use their sheets and blankets. I like using actual sheets instead of the cheap paper sheets that rip all the time.

Anjel

Forum Angel

A few hospitals here have packs of sheets and blankets for the EMS crews. Call em squad packs I think. They are in the ambulance bay.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

wait, what? what do you guys use on your cots? does your company provide its own linens?

Every hospital ive ever been to provides prewrapped packs, 2 sheets and a towel in the summer, 1 sheet and 2 blankets in the winter

and speaking of blankets...when pt family says they need this specific blanket or pillow from home. Like i really want to take your dirty comforter into my ambulance, its bad enough i have to take your dirty butt

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
We have a bunch of sheets and blankets that get sent to laundry every week i think twice a week

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

That's dumb.

I don't know of a single agency that doesn't grab sheets from a hospital when dropping off a patient, and I don't know a single hospital who doesn't allow it.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Absolutely. Its generally a 1:1 swap, though. I do know 2 hospitals, one on the south shore, the other in Western MA that have separate EMS linen... and at one it is a firable offense to take hospital linens.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Posting out for 11hrs on a 24hr crew. Especially when your company has no major contracts... and your post is three miles from your station. Eff. That. Noise.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
Well tell it...

I'll spare all the details because for all I know some of the people on this forum are some of the EMTs who were involved.

Once upon a time there was a 9-1-1 call for an ambulance. The ambulance crew that was dispatched placed a priority on picking up coffee at a local Dunkin' Donuts. Other townsfolk (our service are is rather small and EVERYBODY talks to each other) later recalled seeing the crew standing in line waiting for their order instead of responding to the scene.

Not to be dissuaded by someone's call for help, they waited to pick up their order and then responded with their new, piping hot beverages.

Upon arriving and entering the patient's home, they had to take great care to not spill their coffees while managing to carry them along with the jump kit and oxygen cylinder. Understandably, they had to perform a limited assessment due to them having to stand over the patient, cups in hand, taking occasional sips.

The end.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Hate being told by citizens that we shouldn't be: shopping, eating, ordering etc;
I actually told a person one day (who got mad at me about being at McD's on a 72 hour shift); that if he thought I should be out saving lives 'to go run in front of a bus'.

It is fun to get chewed out by management when they can't stop laughing.

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
Hate being told by citizens that we shouldn't be: shopping, eating, ordering etc;
I actually told a person one day (who got mad at me about being at McD's on a 72 hour shift); that if he thought I should be out saving lives 'to go run in front of a bus'.

It is fun to get chewed out by management when they can't stop laughing.

My first ride -along, after our 2nd or 3rd call we swung by the nearest Publix (groery store for those who don't know) on the way back from the ER to grab some subs. Cue me standing in a grocery store with a ff/emt and a ff/medic (who of course grabbed their portables). Literally, everyone in that store was thrilled to see us. Publix is a progressive, equal opportunity employer and our bagger happened to be of special needs. He saw me (the only one with a nametag) and asked me if we saved any lives yet today. To this day that particular emt/medic crew mocks me about it.

I don't doubt you at all though. People are idiots.