"I don't know if we can do that"

Inefficiency is a BIG one of mine!

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
"but how long will i be in the hospital? i dont want to be there long."

let me consult my crystal ball :glare:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
You can usually tell how bad an accident is up in dispatch by how many calls we get and who's calling (in serious injury accidents, the involved parties usually aren't the first on the phone).

When you call me because you got in an accident, it's the only call and you spend the first 5 minutes telling me how it was the other person's fault because they're an idiot and yada yada yada, and I ask you if anyone's hurt you declare "YES! I need an ambulance! I AM IN SHOCK!!!" but tell me you're not in pain, you're not bleeding or have any other complaint besides "shock," I am compelled to ask you if you need an ambulance every time someone throws you a surprise birthday party.

"He/she verbally assaulted me" is another surprisingly common and irritating phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
whats this rash that ive been getting that looks like every rash thats caused by any number of things.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
And she worked in five more dont drop mes on drop off aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhvh! And i was supposed to clock out 20 minutes ago.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
"How long has this been going on?"
"Ohhhh.... For *insert any time frame imaginable that could be chronic*"

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
- How bad is your pain?

- 10/10.....it's getting worse....OH GOD!

*patient proceeds to answer cell phone and talk normally, hangs up

- Oh Dear Lord Help me, it hurts so bad ahhhh!

JPINFV

Gadfly
You can usually tell how bad an accident is up in dispatch by how many calls we get and who's calling (in serious injury accidents, the involved parties usually aren't the first on the phone).

This actually got me thinking. If involved with an accident that looks worse than it actually is, especially when the parties can clear the accident from the road and no one is hurt, would it be a good idea to call 911, report the accident, and let them know that no assistance is needed (except, if needed, a police report)? It could head off the drive by callers from sending the cavalry.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
This actually got me thinking. If involved with an accident that looks worse than it actually is, especially when the parties can clear the accident from the road and no one is hurt, would it be a good idea to call 911, report the accident, and let them know that no assistance is needed (except, if needed, a police report)? It could head off the drive by callers from sending the cavalry.

It probably depends on the jurisdiction. I know that I appreciate it because although we only send fire/EMS on confirmed injury accidents (or biggies like rollovers/fires/etcs), we have to send PD hot if it's an unknown injury accident... and I'd rather NOT send anyone hot especially if we don't have to. I bet there are some places that roll out PD, Fire and EMS hot to every accident. We don't have the resources.

If someone stops, talks to the drivers, and confirms no injuries, I appreciate it and won't send anyone hot or Fire/EMS until one of the drivers gets Allstateitis and decides to call us back 5 minutes later complaining of neck pain. ;)

Also, license plates are nice if you can get them. It's shocking how many hit and run accidents we get in which both drivers pull over, even talk to each other for a bit, and all of a sudden one of them panics and splits.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
"I'm a hard stick, you ambulance drivers can never get an IV in..."

Me: "Ta-da. You were saying?"

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"Oh, give me the needle! You guys can't get a vein on me!".

Then pt indicates between the fingers or the back of the knee as venous access sites.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Then pt indicates between the fingers or the back of the knee as venous access sites.

Gotta love the heroine junkies! "My only good vein is here.... No, no, you're off... Damnit I showed you where to go, you blew it!!" Ahahaha I love them!

Epi-do

I see dead people
I am telling you, I always have a vein RIGHT THERE!

Am I/Is he/Is she going to go to jail?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Am I/Is he/Is she going to go to jail?

YES! this one.

I usually respond with "I hope so".

More so with the Is he going to jail question.

I have been to too many calls where a woman has been badly beaten by her boyfriend/fiance whomever, and they are almost always concerned about him going to jail.

In these situations, I always reply with "I sure hope so"

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
"but can't you just pop it so I don't have to go to the hospital"

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Patient agrees and wants to go to the hospital. Half way there they say "I don't think I need to go anymore can I go home?"

On 5150 holds "NO!! I am not getting on the gurney!" and "I gotta pee!" even though we just offered to let them at the hospital and they say no.

In SNFs you have a Spanish speaking patient and none of the nurses are willing to give you any info on the patient at all.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
"Has he been medicated?" *indicating our patient who is about as big as Donkey Kong and is banging on the window behind us*
"No... don't you guys have restraints?"

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
"Has he been medicated?" *indicating our patient who is about as big as Donkey Kong and is banging on the window behind us*
"No... don't you guys have restraints?"

:rolleyes:

A pet peeve with psychs. "Don't worry sweetheart, you're going home."

No they are NOT going home. They are smart enough to realize pretty much when we get out of the parking lot that they're not going home because their home is going to the right and we are turning left.

I'm the one who has to deal with the schizophrenic or psychotic freaking the eff out.

Because of this phrase I nearly got elbowed by a big buff schizophrenic before.

When we saw the nurses later in the day again, we gave them a "Dont you EVER say that again" lecture.