My BIGGEST pet peeves

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
"How much is this going to cost me"
I really have no freaking clue....

"I want to go to (insert major medical center 40 miles away) because my heart/lung/stomach/cancer doctor's there"
I'm fairly certain your cardiologist isn't going to come see you for a GI complaint at 3am...

"Tell them they need to keep me this time!"
I fairly certain, this being your third ED visit in as many days for a chronic complaint that hasn't warranted an admission before, they're probably going to discharge you from the ED. I wish they would admit you though, then I wouldn't have to pick you up next shift.

"I hate that hospital! They're so rude!"
Perhaps because last time you were up there was ED visit number 20 this year for a vague non-specific complaint? If you go to major medical center way the heck away as much they're probably going to start being rude as well...

It's been a long past four or five shifts.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"You're a nice young man, here, let me give you a little something"

Hey! Where's my wallet?! POLICE!!POLICE!! HELP!!!! THIEF!!!".

(Pt is in SNF type hospital gown).

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
"I'm alergic to Toradol"

"I want detox"

"You my taxi"

Mispronouncing medical conditions and meds, or such as "peanut butter balls," "albatrawl," "a ferocious liver," "sick as hell," "I gots da sugars"

If I had a potentially deadly or debilitating disease, I might want to know how to at least pronounce it

Pheonsix

Forum Ride Along
This one gets me every time.....
Person calls 9-1-1......when I get there, the first thing they say.... Do I have to go to the hospital? Or a some version thereof.

This truly makes my blood boil. And not much gets to me.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
46Young reminded me....

ANY time a patient has no frikin clue what disease they have or why they were put on a medication... I now half to ask multiple ways for the same disease.

"you dont have high blood pressure or any heart disease? "
"I said no"
•Reads off multiple beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, etc etc•
"What do you take those for? "
"my heart"

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Mispronouncing medical conditions and meds, or such as "peanut butter balls," "albatrawl," "a ferocious liver," "sick as hell," "I gots da sugars"

:rofl:

Congratulations. "I gots da sugars" just became a new catchphrase in our home.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Lol down here it's "chugars"

Epi-do

I see dead people

Don't forget "I gots high blood."

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
3 AM, call for a "Medical Emergency"

Dispatch : Caller reporting "Belly Pain"

Get on location PT states he no longer has pain and refuses transport. Sign my RMA form, get back to the station, snuggle into my cozy bunk, fall asleep, *GONG* repeat address for a "Medical Emergency".

A few more :

"Can I have some of that air?"
"Can't you give me some water?"
"Do you think I have to go to the hospital, because I don't want to be there all night."

Last edited by a moderator:

sirengirl

Forum Lieutenant
3 AM, call for a "Medical Emergency"

Dispatch : Caller reporting "Belly Pain"

Get on location PT states he no longer has pain and refuses transport. Sign my RMA form, get back to the station, snuggle into my cozy bunk, fall asleep, *GONG* repeat address for a "Medical Emergency".

A few more :

"Can I have some of that air?"
"Can't you give me some water?"
"Do you think I have to go to the hospital, because I don't want to be there all night."

That happened to me... except the second time they called they thought to tell us the patient had MRSA. Thanks for telling me that when I was leaning close being comforting and stuff. Jerks.

Also, the water part, super irks me. No you can not have water. No you can not grab a snack. I don't care if you're old enough to be my grandparent, I forbid you from putting anything in your mouth unless I am putting it there and it is either glucose, aspirin, or Nitro. If you're hungry or thirsty you better frickin' eat or drink before I walk in the door. My ambulance is not a meal-on-wheels van. :glare:

vamike

Forum Crew Member
Yep had a 85 year old male patient the other day we were taking to ER for back pain and dehydration. AFTER we get to ER the family informs us he has MRSA and hep C. Why didnt they tell us at the house? GGGGRRRR. Glad I always glove up before i hit the door.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
How would that change your treatment of the patient?

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Epi-do

I see dead people
I don't think it is really about changing treatment for the patient as much as it is wanting to be aware of infectious diseases and allowed the opportunity to take any extra precautions, if needed.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
You wear gloves regardless. What other percautions do you feel you should be taking?

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Glad I always glove up before i hit the door.
Speaking of pet peeves, this is one of mine. Everything you touch with gloves on increases the chance of the glove ripping or tearing. Not to mention gloves are not even recommended unless you expect to come in contact with bodily fluids. It's insane for you to put gloves on in the ambulance on the way to the call. Unless I'm doing invasive procedures or expect my hand might go in somewhere nasty I often don't put them on at all.

For all the emphasis put on gloves when was the last time you saw an EMS provider put on eye protection and a mask when controlling an airway? EMS doesn't practice appropriate precautions. EMS puts on gloves....

JPINFV

Gadfly
For all the emphasis put on gloves when was the last time you saw an EMS provider put on eye protection and a mask when controlling an airway? EMS doesn't practice appropriate precautions. EMS puts on gloves....

...but they're magical gloves CHARLIE, magical gloves that protect from all diseases entering at any location CHARLIE. Don't you believe in the magical gloves?

charlieunicorn.jpg

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
Not to mention gloves are not even recommended unless you expect to come in contact with bodily fluids. It's insane for you to put gloves on in the ambulance on the way to the call.

EMS doesn't practice appropriate precautions. EMS puts on gloves....

I'd argue that the basis of all our practical testing begins with stating we're taking body substance isolation precautions, so not only are gloves recommended, we're trained and certified in their use.

I agree that many of us don't practice appropriate precautions. What gets under my skin is watching EMTs handle blood and bloody items, insert IVs and touch nasty things without gloves on.

Personally, I put gloves while responding. I don't think doing so is insane, I consider it appropriate. Heck, I'd even recommend it! It just makes one less thing to remember when on scene, and it means I can work faster because I don't have to stop and put a pair on (which is darn near impossible if I worked up a sweat carrying a patient anyway).

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'd argue that the basis of all our practical testing begins with stating we're taking body substance isolation precautions, so not only are gloves recommended, we're trained and certified in their use.
You have to be trained and certified in the use of gloves?

Of course PPE stupidity isn't just limited to EMS. The amount of researchers who are terrified over ethidium bromide as some sort of cancer causing superagent that they faithfully wear latex gloves, despite evidence showing that latex gloves won't stop it anyways.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
You have to be trained and certified in the use of gloves?

Yes. Critical criteria on each practical station of the NREMT certification begins with stating you're taking BSI. So if you don't say it or demonstrate it, you fail the station.