medical assistant degree higher than medic?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
http://education.yahoo.net/articles/most_valuable_degrees.htm?kid=16K8L

"2nd Place: Associate's Degree in Medical Assisting
The timing for earning an associate's degree in medical assisting couldn't be better. The suddenly red-hot career was highlighted in Laurence Shatkin's book Best Jobs for the 21st Century and was also named by Forbes as one of the fastest growing jobs for women in 2010.

Time to completion: 18 months to 2 years
Average salary: $28,650
Potential salary: $39,970

Winning factor: Medical assisting opportunities are expected to grow an amazing 34 percent between 2008 and 2018, according to the U.S. Department of Labor."

firecoins

IFT Puppet
in what way is this a higher position? Simply because they have an associate's degree? I don't think a "medical assistant" is anyone that can provide equal or higher care for a patient so the answer i no. If I can't leave a patient with them, they are just another medical office worker who takes a BP. Is there a certification that they hold or is it just a degree?
I have B.A. in economics. I have more education than the medical assistant. Does my econ degree may me a higher levelof care? Nope

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
If they are higher why are they paid less?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
what is their scope of practise? VItal Signs?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
what is their scope of practise? VItal Signs?

Pretty much, Yes. When I first read this, I assumed you were confusing MA's for PA's, but then I realized who the OP was and checked the link. Why on Earth would someone go for an associates of medical assisting as opposed to nursing? What exactly does the curriculum focus on? Anyone? Why is BSN Nursing #5? Wow.

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
In no way is MA even close to the same lol...and I agree what the point of getting an associates

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
And which direction to wipe a patient correctly.

Mmm this isn't really true... most medical assistants work in physician's offices, not acute or long term care.

Yes, they take vitals, they can also phleb and administer medications. A lot of their scope will depend on what kind of office they work in, what the physician is comfortable delegating, and what if any additional training they've had. I've seen some just do front desk kinda stuff.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I worked as an MA for awhile, and I'm not quite sure I understand 'higher' than a medic. I'm not a MA, but you don't necessarily have to be one to work as one if you know the skills they are trained in.

I would estimate only 1/2 of their education is directly about patient care. They also have training in coding, documentation, patient education and office work. They will check in patients before their appointments, reconcile med and allergy lists, list chief complaint/symptoms. As far as medical stuff, they generally do basic vitals (pulse, BP, resp rate, height, weight, Snellen eye chart. The usually physical stuff), administer doctor ordered meds, including shots and TB tests. Phlebotomy is hit or miss, urinalysis for drugs or infection. Sometimes swabs for strep.

They also can assist in pretty much anything the doctor directs them to under the doctor's supervision, like cleaning/dressing wounds, removing stitches, changing dressings on wounds already evaluated by the doc, etc.

Edit: I forgot, they also do some other assessment tests, like peak flow, EKG, and sometimes x-rays.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I believe its like comparing Apples and Oranges...

as Aidey said in his post, they also tend to do alot of Clerical Stuff as well as Patient care (Front desk paperwork, Picking up the phone, charting... etc). and MA's tend to work in Doctors offices, Clinics etc...

an Associates degree in something doesnt always mean they have more education in the Core classes, it just means they just took their general ed classes (Math, Science,Electives,English)

I can get an Associates in Paramedicine, but does that mean im more Certified than a Paramedic who has their Certification??

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I can get an Associates in Paramedicine, but does that mean im more Certified than a Paramedic who has their Certification??

No. However, an associates of Paramedicine program usually prepares you for leadership in EMS or becoming an instructor. I can see absolutely no use for an associates as a medical assistant.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well... in Texas, an AAS in EMS makes you a Licensed Paramedic as opposed to a Certified Paramedic.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

It means your educated vs trained.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
It means your educated vs trained.

That all depends on the program's original curriculum. For instance, I used my undergraduate nursing curriculum for mine, plus a couple EMS management courses. Some of the credits that I transferred over for my AAS included:

Anatomy & Physiology I and II
English Comp 1 and 2
American Literature
General & Abnormal Psychology
Intro to Pathophysiology
General Microbiology
General Chemistry I and II
Fundamentals of Professional Communication
Probability & Statistics
College Algebra
Music Appreciation (State requirement for associates)

As far as skills go, degree medics and certificate medics are equal. You can't base judgements of a profession on the merit of degrees and titles alone. For instance, I can think of many certificate paramedics that can blow a degree medic out of the water, just as I can think of
degree medics that can blow certificate medics out of the water. A piece of paper doesn't make you more or less competent. These courses just allow you to think about your interventions a bit more in depth than you were taught in your paramedic certificate program.

---
I would consider my program of study to be proficient. However, someone else may not. As for the educated versus trained debate. There are two kinds of providers:

1. The provider who follows protocols exactly as written in every situation.

2. The provider who understands the physiology behind the intervention he/she performs allowing them to adjust the treatment as necessary to set about a better patient outcome.

I aspire to be the second type, I hope I can look back in 20 years and know that I have achieved my goal and have become a truly effective provider.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Bull.

You're telling me I'm not educated as a Paramedic just because I don't posses an AAS in EMS?

I dont know, you tell me.

There is a big difference between education and training in my opinion.

Mainly the method in which the information is delivered.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I posted this article because I found it very strange it was listed as a top 5 career pic.

When you look at the amount of EMT programs that offer an associates it is rather small in my experience compared to the "certificate programs."

Still:

I have noticed an increasing amount of MAs in the hospital, and even if their education (associate levels ones) gives them insight into billing practices and the like which they might actually participate in unlike somebody who recieves a AAS in EMS management, who will probably not be hired right into management, it would seem to put the ma into a position of responsibility. (title or not, making sure we all get paid is important to me)

Looking at the total scope, as well as the diversity of employment, and not a bad salary for a 2 year degree, what I meant by "higher" was a more rounded education giving them greater marketability.

I would wager that there are more hospitals than EMS jobs, probably even more than IFT jobs. Would people looking to break into healthcare be better served by being an MA?

I could see where they can boast more patient contact than IFT companies, and even 911 units.

just food for thought.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I wonder if my music major counts as music appreciation. I never did take a music apprec class, but theory X4, music history X2, composition and arranging, voice, piano, conducting, practicum and all that other music related stuff should show I have an appreciation LOL.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Pretty much, Yes. When I first read this, I assumed you were confusing MA's for PA's, but then I realized who the OP was and checked the link. Why on Earth would someone go for an associates of medical assisting as opposed to nursing? What exactly does the curriculum focus on? Anyone? Why is BSN Nursing #5? Wow.

I think it was calculated the salry vs. time in school, and the potential debt incurred.

I know a lot of ADNs (RN) who make comparable wages to BSNs, that is why it might have moved down the list a little.

Just my speculation though.