medical assistant degree higher than medic?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Well... in Texas, an AAS in EMS makes you a Licensed Paramedic as opposed to a Certified Paramedic.

Well, they really just want you to have a degree. Bachelors in sciences works too.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it was calculated the salry vs. time in school, and the potential debt incurred.

I know a lot of ADNs (RN) who make comparable wages to BSNs, that is why it might have moved down the list a little.

Just my speculation though.

Not to mention how much easier it is to get in to an MA program vs. a BSN, and I'm willing to wager easier for a new grad to get a job.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to mention how much easier it is to get in to an MA program vs. a BSN, and I'm willing to wager easier for a new grad to get a job.

My school of nursing (BSN program) had a 100% hire rate right out of school. I have never known of a BSN having a problem getting hired unless the individual was less than reputable. One consideration with the associates of medical assisting is financial aid. The department of education will not offer PELL for Non-degree programs. They might have done this so they could receive financial aid in this program.

I remember raking and scraping to come up with the $2,000 for my EMT-IV course. Those were the worst 9 months ever! I stayed broke, ate ramen noodles and Spaghetti O's. Had that program been a degree program, not only would we have received a more rounded curriculum, but financial aid would've paid for it.

However, there is one thing to take into consideration. Financial aid only pays for 1 degree. Once you have earned your first degree, you can no longer get
federal pell. I don't even think you can get Perkins or Direct Loan. I am going to get flamed for this next part, but worse things have happened.

I think we should incorporate into 1 degree program EMT-Basic (IV here in TN, advanced as of Fall 11) and Paramedic courses. Don't tell me this is a bad idea, because people go into ADN school knowing absolutely nothing about medicine and become competent providers in a period of 3 years (1 yr pre-nursing, 2 yr nursing).. The same is true of BSN programs.

Why not create a bachelors degree paramedic program that allows you to stop after basic or go on. If you want to stop at EMT-Basic then you can
file an intent to graduate and leave the college with an associates of applied science, EMT-B or Allied Health. If you decide to go on, and pursue paramedic, at the end of the course and medical director's summative review, you can file intent to graduate with a Bachelor of Science, Paramedicine.

Many EMT's enter a paramedic program right after EMT school and most that I know of have done great. Sure they don't have a lot of patient care experience, but they also haven't had time to pick up bad habits or to get burnt out.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I don't recall if it was the Perkins loan or a different loan but having a previous degree did not exclude me from obtaining subsidized student loans for my second degree.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't recall if it was the Perkins loan or a different loan but having a previous degree did not exclude me from obtaining subsidized student loans for my second degree.

Ah, ok. So it is just PELL then. Good to know.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
My school of nursing (BSN program) had a 100% hire rate right out of school. I have never known of a BSN having a problem getting hired unless the individual was less than reputable.

Job market tightens for nursing graduates

I had a paramedic friend who had worked as an ED tech for years... had a great track record... went to a good school... got her BSN and had trouble getting an RN job at the very hospital she had been working at. She did get one eventually, but it took months.

I've heard of several other new grads running in to stiff competition for jobs... interestingly enough one story was from a medical assistant who was seeing me at the doctor's office... he and his wife, a new BSN, had recently moved from the South. He instantly found employment but she struggled for months to get a job.

I'm sure some areas are better than others but it's still something I've heard a lot about.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
My school of nursing (BSN program) had a 100% hire rate right out of school. I have never known of a BSN having a problem getting hired unless the individual was less than reputable. One consideration with the associates of medical assisting is financial aid. The department of education will not offer PELL for Non-degree programs. They might have done this so they could receive financial aid in this program.

I remember raking and scraping to come up with the $2,000 for my EMT-IV course. Those were the worst 9 months ever! I stayed broke, ate ramen noodles and Spaghetti O's. Had that program been a degree program, not only would we have received a more rounded curriculum, but financial aid would've paid for it.

However, there is one thing to take into consideration. Financial aid only pays for 1 degree. Once you have earned your first degree, you can no longer get
federal pell. I don't even think you can get Perkins or Direct Loan. I am going to get flamed for this next part, but worse things have happened.

I think we should incorporate into 1 degree program EMT-Basic (IV here in TN, advanced as of Fall 11) and Paramedic courses. Don't tell me this is a bad idea, because people go into ADN school knowing absolutely nothing about medicine and become competent providers in a period of 3 years (1 yr pre-nursing, 2 yr nursing).. The same is true of BSN programs.

Why not create a bachelors degree paramedic program that allows you to stop after basic or go on. If you want to stop at EMT-Basic then you can
file an intent to graduate and leave the college with an associates of applied science, EMT-B or Allied Health. If you decide to go on, and pursue paramedic, at the end of the course and medical director's summative review, you can file intent to graduate with a Bachelor of Science, Paramedicine.

Many EMT's enter a paramedic program right after EMT school and most that I know of have done great. Sure they don't have a lot of patient care experience, but they also haven't had time to pick up bad habits or to get burnt out.

Sorry seriously had to laugh at that statement. Worse thing is it was out loud and my partner thinks I am nut at the station.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry seriously had to laugh at that statement. Worse thing is it was out loud and my partner thinks I am nut at the station.

Ok, let me rephrase: The majority of ADNs IN MY AREA come out competent. lol. I know, I know.. We've all been to aspiration manor for a transport at some time or another to see a nurse yelling, HE IS CODING!! Do Something, Do Something! because his 02 sats are not 99 on room air, but you must admit there are some damn good nurses out there as well.

smurfe

EMS Educator
And which direction to wipe a patient correctly.

I sometimes get an email from this forum asking why I haven't visited in a year so I come back to check it out. I then see post like this and it reminds me why I don't visit. It is a mentality like this that does it for me. For those that wonder why EMS gets treated like it does. Here's you sign.

smurfe

EMS Educator
Well... in Texas, an AAS in EMS makes you a Licensed Paramedic as opposed to a Certified Paramedic.

I am still trying to figure out the difference except the title. I am a Certified Texas Paramedic as well. I could be Licensed as I qualify with my BS degree but have not found a reason to spend the extra cash for anything other than the title. It don't seem to get you any extra pay. I just did my re-cert last weekend and was going to go Licensed but decided to save a few bucks and just stay Certified.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I went the degree path for two reasons.

1. I am pursuing prehospital research and like the way an AAS looks on my official manuscripts along with my BSN.

2. I want to become an instructor/coordinator in the future.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am still trying to figure out the difference except the title. I am a Certified Texas Paramedic as well. I could be Licensed as I qualify with my BS degree but have not found a reason to spend the extra cash for anything other than the title. It don't seem to get you any extra pay. I just did my re-cert last weekend and was going to go Licensed but decided to save a few bucks and just stay Certified.

The difference is the licensed medic gets to say his paper is bigger than yours.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, don't think we are the only profession to argue like this.

I just read the following post from a nursing forum I frequent and got a good chuckle because it reminded me of what we do in EMS.

"It amazes me that people are not happy with just being refered to as an RN. Why all the alphabet soup ? When I got my certifications, I did it to increase my knowledge, not to impress anyone. Nursing will never become a true profession until we as a group unite, instead of insisting that we must show one is better than another."

I love the, "Nursing will never become a true profession" part.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
It's kind of a kick in the balls to EMS when they say "nursing isn't a true profession". What hope is there for EMS if the long established profession of nursing isn't a profession at all.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
It's kind of a kick in the balls to EMS when they say "nursing isn't a true profession". What hope is there for EMS if the long established profession of nursing isn't a profession at all.

As a nurse, I am quite confident in nursing as a profession. Some nurses do not agree with me. You are going to see arguments like this in every profession. The fact is, for EMS to be considered a profession providers are going to have to go the degree route and the powers that be are going to have to phase out certificate programs just as we phased out diploma programs in registered nursing. Moreover, we are going to have to move to the national practice model and allow for LICENSURE<--- I said licensure, not certification at the NATIONAL level, not the state level. The NREMT is all fine and dandy, but you can't practice with your NR certification alone.. You have to use that certification to apply for a state license. We need an EMS Model, just like nursing has, a nationally managed scope of practice that allows individual states and medical directors to limit skills as they see fit, but that requires programs to actually train students in all the skills while allowing for a Multi-state license to be issued. This would not work with our current system of (EMT-IV, EMT-CC, EMT-LMNOP).. We are going to need to move to the national standard of (EMR, EMT-B, EMT-Advanced, Paramedic) for this to occur. Until we are organized on the national level with 1 testing standard (Just as nursing has the NCLEX), we are not going to be respected as a profession.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

GOLD LETTERING!!!!

licen_para.jpg

kermit

Forum Crew Member
Mmm this isn't really true... most medical assistants work in physician's offices, not acute or long term care.

Yes, they take vitals, they can also phleb and administer medications. A lot of their scope will depend on what kind of office they work in, what the physician is comfortable delegating, and what if any additional training they've had. I've seen some just do front desk kinda stuff.

I'm not even a EMT yet,I start school in a couple weeks. I do have a close friend who is a MA and she chose to do that because the blood and gore wasn't her cup of tea. She is basically a desk jockey who did work in the lab for a while. My wife's friends are all in the medical field, one is a PA,one MA and and others are RN's and LPN's. From what I hear around the dinner table, I wouldn't consider is any higher. She does get delegated certain task from the Doc but mostly a secretary.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I said licensure, not certification at the NATIONAL level, not the state level. .

I do not believe RN or MDs are licensed at the National level. PA are certified.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I do not believe RN or MDs are licensed at the National level. PA are certified.

RN License is multi-state, MD can practice in any state as well.