medical assistant degree higher than medic?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
RN License is multi-state, MD can practice in any state as well.

Sorry, I couldn't edit it, and I feel that I worded the original post wrong. Here is what I meant to say:

--------------

RN License is multi-state and there is a compact state agreement, MD can practice in any state as well. I might have worded that wrong. What I mean is,an RN's skill set is the same nationally. The only thing that is different is the hospital's discretion as to whether or
not an RN can employ a certain skill. If I want to pick up and move to Kentucky, another Compact license state, I can just fill out a form
with kentucky and my license is transferred.

If an EMT-B comes from Florida to TN where we have EMT-IV. They would have to take a bridge course. There is no RN-IV, RN-D, etc so I would not have to bridge to anything. RN is the same across the board, it is the specialty areas that are different and those too are handled nationally.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sorry, I couldn't edit it, and I feel that I worded the original post wrong. Here is what I meant to say:

--------------

RN License is multi-state and there is a compact state agreement, MD can practice in any state as well. I might have worded that wrong. What I mean is,an RN's skill set is the same nationally. The only thing that is different is the hospital's discretion as to whether or
not an RN can employ a certain skill. If I want to pick up and move to Kentucky, another Compact license state, I can just fill out a form
with kentucky and my license is transferred.

If an EMT-B comes from Florida to TN where we have EMT-IV. They would have to take a bridge course. There is no RN-IV, RN-D, etc so I would not have to bridge to anything. RN is the same across the board, it is the specialty areas that are different and those too are handled nationally.

So, take your NCLEX score and try applying and holding jobs with out any state licenses. Additionally, you're even admitting that the license isn't national. If it was a national licensure, why would you have out paperwork to change states?

Similarly, with physicians, just because a physician passed COMLEX and/or USMLE doesn't mean they have a national license. They still have to apply to the board of medicine for licensure in the state(s) that they want to practice in. Plenty of medical and health care professions have national standards and national licensing exams. None have a national license.

Additionally, the difference between licensure and certification is, at best, a red herring of an argument. There's a reason that the law governing physicians in California contains a clause along the lines of 'for the purpose of this section, certification and license is the same thing.' The politicians who write the law doesn't know what the difference is.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'm not even a EMT yet,I start school in a couple weeks. I do have a close friend who is a MA and she chose to do that because the blood and gore wasn't her cup of tea. She is basically a desk jockey who did work in the lab for a while. My wife's friends are all in the medical field, one is a PA,one MA and and others are RN's and LPN's. From what I hear around the dinner table, I wouldn't consider is any higher. She does get delegated certain task from the Doc but mostly a secretary.

if blood and gore is your cup of tea, you won't find a whole lot of it in EMS. Don't have official stats, but even at very busy places it is less than 10% of the job I wager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Unless you transport to USC Medical Center's Emergency Room in Los Angeles, with 500 PT a day ranging from the sniffles to shootings.

http://mydd.com/users/ragekage/posts/the-busiest-emergency-room-in-america

I caution you to measure based on gross volume. I spent a few years in one that saw by number 300 patients a day. But this is a slightly disproportionate number and difficult to properly quantify. Usually the day shift sees more patients, and the night shift sees higher acuity. The distribution of trauma resources also counts. A center serving a population of 1 million is going to have a higher % of "interesting cases" that a center that is in relatively close proximity to another comparable center.

A better measure of blood and gore is the number of surgical trauma operations or trauma admissions to the SICU.

Further breaking that number down, since most trauma is actually ortho in nature, it often becomes a requirement to describe penetrating vs blunt trauma admissions.

Trauma centers in the US have been seeing a considerable decline in surgical trauma. (which usually has the highest rates of "gore factor.") There are also several level II centers in the country that see a higher percentage of surgical and penetrating trauma then some level I centers.

Furthermore, after a while, what a provider considers "gory" or even "interesting" is a steadily increasing bar.

Thanks for the link though, I am quite familiar with RAM, but I am guessing their "cool blood and guts" % was actually rather low considering as I understand most of their work is dental.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
My point was that the amount of trauma one may experience depends on location. I live in downtown San Diego where beatings, shootings and general mayhem are common. I have grown accustomed to the daily and nightly sounds of sirens from ambu and police.

:)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I was hired as a medical assistant when I was an EMT-B with no other training or education. A lot of medical assistants receive on the job training and mainly room patients and take vital signs. Comparing it to a Paramedic is not even relevant. I would say its more a long the lines of a CNA or maybe an EMT-B.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I do not believe RN or MDs are licensed at the National level. PA are certified.
Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Pharmacists, Firefighters, Police Officers, Nurses, Physicians... none have a NATIONAL LICENSE to do what they do. There may be national certifying bodies, but recognition of that certification via some kind of licensing body is left to the individual states.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Pharmacists, Firefighters, Police Officers, Nurses, Physicians... none have a NATIONAL LICENSE to do what they do. There may be national certifying bodies, but recognition of that certification via some kind of licensing body is left to the individual states.

which is what I was saying. Thank you.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
medical assistants are not even required to be certified by anybody in Oregon. They just work under the doctors licence and many complete on the job training, some are old army medics or techs who no longer hold any civilian cert, or random low level health care certified like CNA or EMT-B. few are certified and even fewer have the associates ( which is from a bogus school most times and not even close to the Paramedic AAS or RN AAS)