Local FF's shopping while on duty

medic417

The Truth Provider
So someone who is bold enough to propose that people should lose their jobs and not be allowed to reproduce because they possibly cannot remember something, obviously has not ever forgotten anything in their lifetime and must be a god.

Okay, let's fire all those guys then. Let's fire everyone who is prone to possibly forget their lunch. We'll make a ridiculously hard memory test in the CSE and if they can't pass it, they can't become firemen.

See how many firemen you have left after that, and how many make it past that CSE.

My house likes to cook, and we actually take turns each week where the person assigned goes to get groceries before the shift and brings it when they come in.

So say it's the rookie's week and he forgets, or the guy assigned calls in sick, and there doesn't happen to be anything else in the fridge at the station. I like the fact that we can still go out to get something from the store, very rarely do we need to do that but I like to know that's an option.

And say you somehow get your local FD to stop going to the grocery store. Exactly how much are you looking to get back into your pocket?

Again they can bring the food to cook together. Sorry no need to shop while on duty.

Again being prepared for the just in case ( forgetting, getting called in, having to pull extra shift, etc) by keeping some items in your locker or your car. Might not be the steak you want but you don't go hungry and are not wasting tax payer money.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If a fire fighter is so ignorant as not being able to plan what to take to work to eat he is to stupid to be using such dangerous equipment and should immediately be fired and not allowed to breed.

What part of pre planning can fire fighters not get? Plan meals in advance and bring the groceries to the station. Heck we often agree what we want and who will bring what. Plus you can always keep some emergency supplies in the locker so you will not starve.

It's difficult to preplan meals here, as the crew changes from day to day. To help lower OT, we detail pad personnel (extra FF, officer, sometimes two people) to other stations to fill vacancies. This is to cover sick personnel, paid time off, injury leave, and such. This is an almost daily occurence, especially during the summer. We also have OT personnel coming through on occasion. Each day could see three or four different people than the last. It's tough to plan meals when you don't know who's eating, and if anyone has any food allergies/religious considerations to take into account. You buy for ten, and only six are eating. You buy for five, and nine want in. On the same token, you could preplan the groceries, come to work, and then be detailed to another station yourself. Now you're out dinner.

If I'm doing PM OT at a station, I'll typically call in the morning so they know to buy enough for an additional person.

Me personally, I typically bring enough food for the whole day in case we get busy and dinner doesn't happen. It's also difficult to bring food at times as you can be held for an additional 12 hours, and be out of food. Or going between your scheduled shift to your side job, OT, or whatever. If I come in from my side job at 2200-2300 hours, and I have to be up at 0430, I'm not going to cook for the next day. Maybe I don't like cold cuts, and I can't pack eight PB&J sandwiches for the day. That's disgusting. I may also be out of supplies at home if I've been working for a few days straight. The supermarkets don't stay open 24 hours here. We also collect for the kitty and coffee fund. This is for PB, jelly, spices, oils, snacks like granola bars, country crock and such. That requires a trip to Costco, of course.

If I have someone cooking dinner while I'm running my tail off, I'm definitely appreciative. Unless it's steak. It tastes like crap when it's reheated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic744

Forum Captain
Im going to go out on a limb and say that the taxpayers dollars that they crews are "wasting" on fuel are a drop in the bucket compared to some of the junk that the government wastes money on. Also there are more than enough scientific studies out there that show a significant decrease in cognigtive ability during times of hunger. I would rather fork over the 3 bucks for a gallon of diesel than have somebody get hurt or killed because my responding FF cant think straight because they are starving (extreme example). And I agree that if you have never forgotten anything in your life then you are an amazing abnormality. As for people clocking in and out for meals at other jobs that is understandable. This is not like any other job. There are only a handful of jobs that require you to be aways from home for 24 hrs and not be able to take off when you get hungry. Even when you get ill or have a family emergency you have to find someone to take your place before leaving. They werent at a bar or strip club getting free steaks, they were grabbing food and hygeine products to get through a shift. And I can bet had they received a call, everything would have been left right there for them to go do their job.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Im going to go out on a limb and say that the taxpayers dollars that they crews are "wasting" on fuel are a drop in the bucket compared to some of the junk that the government wastes money on. Also there are more than enough scientific studies out there that show a significant decrease in cognigtive ability during times of hunger. I would rather fork over the 3 bucks for a gallon of diesel than have somebody get hurt or killed because my responding FF cant think straight because they are starving (extreme example). And I agree that if you have never forgotten anything in your life then you are an amazing abnormality. As for people clocking in and out for meals at other jobs that is understandable. This is not like any other job. There are only a handful of jobs that require you to be aways from home for 24 hrs and not be able to take off when you get hungry. Even when you get ill or have a family emergency you have to find someone to take your place before leaving. They werent at a bar or strip club getting free steaks, they were grabbing food and hygeine products to get through a shift. And I can bet had they received a call, everything would have been left right there for them to go do their job.

Bingo. It's mere pennies when measured against the entire budget. The lion's share of the budget goes to payroll, and then apparatus/equipment. Fuel is way down the list. Like I said in an earlier post, the negligible amount of fuel used for a grocery run is nothing compared to govt waste, such as the various entitlement programs, questionable foreign aid, special interest projects and such.

How much will you actually save by restricting units from leaving the station for shopping? I'm willing to bet that it will have little noticeable impact on the local govt's budget. A gallon of diesel to make a trip at $3, just to make up a number, times one trip per firehouse (we have 37), is only around $111. That's maybe one non essential civillian job, really not even that, where a reduction in force may call for one hundred to two hundred positions before sticker taxes, increase in property value tax per $100, shortened workweek, strict climate control in gov't buildings, furloughs and such are implemented. Like I said, the fuel savings are negligable at best. If your district has only five or ten stations, your saving like 20-30 bucks a day. Not exactly pushing the local gov't into the fiscal abyss.

So, it's hardly worth it to eliminate that particular job perk for a negligable benefit. In fact, if the local gov't and/or EMS agency were to educate the community and discourage even one 911 call per every several stations (a trip to the hospital can easily exceed several round trips to the supermarket, unless the ED is around the corner), that would save way more than the cost of fuel for shopping. If the dept initiates or suggest this, they're being proactive, and won't be nagged by petty issues like going to the store on duty.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Here's the thing. When governments are trying to cut costs to break even, I want them to go after every excess, including the 'petty' low hanging fruit. It's like saying just because a cashier had $20,000 in sales, it's ok to take a $20 off the top. After all, who cares about 0.1%. It's so small when compared to the rest of the drawer. Yea, it's small. Especially when some of the shopping is done after a call. However if you can cut costs while providing an appropriate alternative, why not?

mct601

RN/NRP
Bingo. It's mere pennies when measured against the entire budget. The lion's share of the budget goes to payroll, and then apparatus/equipment. Fuel is way down the list. Like I said in an earlier post, the negligible amount of fuel used for a grocery run is nothing compared to govt waste, such as the various entitlement programs, questionable foreign aid, special interest projects and such.

How much will you actually save by restricting units from leaving the station for shopping? I'm willing to bet that it will have little noticeable impact on the local govt's budget. A gallon of diesel to make a trip at $3, just to make up a number, times one trip per firehouse (we have 37), is only around $111. That's maybe one non essential civillian job, really not even that, where a reduction in force may call for one hundred to two hundred positions before sticker taxes, increase in property value tax per $100, shortened workweek, strict climate control in gov't buildings, furloughs and such are implemented. Like I said, the fuel savings are negligable at best. If your district has only five or ten stations, your saving like 20-30 bucks a day. Not exactly pushing the local gov't into the fiscal abyss.

So, it's hardly worth it to eliminate that particular job perk for a negligable benefit. In fact, if the local gov't and/or EMS agency were to educate the community and discourage even one 911 call per every several stations (a trip to the hospital can easily exceed several round trips to the supermarket, unless the ED is around the corner), that would save way more than the cost of fuel for shopping. If the dept initiates or suggest this, they're being proactive, and won't be nagged by petty issues like going to the store on duty.

I see nothing wrong with a trip being made to the store to get supplies and food. FF doesn't do it here, but the ambulances definitely do. They're still on the clock and if toned they have to respond to a call. Whats the difference in an engine or ambulance going to a shopping center ONCE a day, or fast food 3-4 times? The guys have to eat either way. and who honestly has the time to get up and plan meals pre-shift (when most shifts start around here at 6 or 7). People need to get their panties out of a wad and find something else to complain about.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Here's the thing. When governments are trying to cut costs to break even, I want them to go after every excess, including the 'petty' low hanging fruit. It's like saying just because a cashier had $20,000 in sales, it's ok to take a $20 off the top. After all, who cares about 0.1%. It's so small when compared to the rest of the drawer. Yea, it's small. Especially when some of the shopping is done after a call. However if you can cut costs while providing an appropriate alternative, why not?

Excellent analogy!!!!! And along with this again is about public perception more than reality. The public sees this and says what a waste of my tax dollars. Yes the fire dept has much larger wastes but they are not seen daily so people do not complain about them. So if the fire department and the government want to keep being able to have the big tax wasters they have to sooth the public by eliminating the obvious tax waste even when it really does not save much.

Oh and to the poster that said who has time to get up early and plan, you plan before the end of previous shift and either have one person bring everything or each person bring something, either way you have food brought to feed the entire crew.

medic417

The Truth Provider
put some civilians in there (FFS) shoes n i think they will stop this nonsence

Thats right they will stop the waste as they will appreciate how good they have it.