It's That Time, KCM1 Now Hiring

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Basically, if it's not acute enough to justify paramedic transport and intervention, AMR gets it.

What criteria does M1 have for ALS assessment and transport?
Usually actively dieing and before bed time. I can't count on both hands how many times I've take "oh that isn't a stemi" to the ER as a bls provider because the senior medic wanted to go back to bed. Or even new onset seizure. Or status asthma. Does "Turfing Tony" still work for ya?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Usually actively dieing and before bed time. I can't count on both hands how many times I've take "oh that isn't a stemi" to the ER as a bls provider because the senior medic wanted to go back to bed. Or even new onset seizure. Or status asthma. Does "Turfing Tony" still work for ya?

Hahahaha. The legend lives on.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't count on both hands how many times I've take "oh that isn't a stemi" to the ER as a bls provider because the senior medic wanted to go back to bed. Or even new onset seizure. Or status asthma.

Geez. And the AMR medical director is OK with this?

PotatoMedic

Geez. And the AMR medical director is OK with this?
The county medical director, who is the over all medical director, is fine with it as they are the kcmo medical director. The AMR or xyz ambulance medical director has to play by the county medical directors rules. And honestly they are just there to catch a paycheck and don't really provide over site.

NomadicMedic

3AB55C7A-62C9-4720-8E90-68CA52F46750.png

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Why would I want to regress professionally?

Because you could work for KING COUNTY! You would be a god to all other lowly EMS providers.

You could even place central lines in the field, and you wouldn't have to worry about such trivialities as "sterility."

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I see all the usual folks that can't pass our testing process are still here.
I can honestly say that nothing that I have read here or online makes me want to uproot my family, move to the west coast, where the cost of living is 50% higher compared to my current location (and still higher than when I lived in Jersey), for a job that if it doesn't work out (for one reason or another), I'm totally screwed there because there are no comparable jobs in the area for me to work at.

Oh, and the whole class for 8 hours, than busy 12 hour clinical in the city, followed by another 8 hours of class firmly supports my decision. Well, than and I couldn't handle the pay cut.

So yeah, thanks for your two cents on this topic, and enjoy drinking the koolaid :rolleyes:

NomadicMedic

You all know my take on KCM1. Its certainly not for everyone, but if you live in western Washington, it’s the place to be a medic.

If you don’t know any better or have been working for a lousy private, KCM1 is nirvana.

If you want to be a fairly autonomous single role medic, make a good salary and have a decent retirement, KCM1 is a good choice.

Are there other places? Yes. Is KCM1 still a good place to work? Yes. Let’s not all crap on the help wanted post. I’d think anyone who’s planning to test there will have done their due diligence.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Relevant:

https://em.uw.edu/sites/em.uw.edu/files/7 Paramedic Orientation - Edits 7.pdf

So they are literally "mother-may-I" on everything....if it's not traumatic shock or CA, it's a medical control.

LAME.

Meanwhile, us Texan, New Mexicans, Pennsylvanianites, and even Californians are doing relevant things to help people without even thinking of asking permission in a lot of cases....

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
They have to call medical control for Aspirin and Nitro? Wooof

I would find that surprising if this is in-fact the case.

PotatoMedic

I would find that surprising if this is in-fact the case.
Good news! You won't be surprised! Most of the medics I knew would treat then call the doc to tell them what they did. Also note that PDF was for Seattle medic one who has a tighter leash.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Good news! You won't be surprised! Most of the medics I knew would treat then call the doc to tell them what they did. Also note that PDF was for Seattle medic one who has a tighter leash.

Ok lol. I was thinking holy crap and I thought CA was bad. At least I can give meds on standing orders.

OP
OP
FLMedic311

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Relevant:

https://em.uw.edu/sites/em.uw.edu/files/7 Paramedic Orientation - Edits 7.pdf

So they are literally "mother-may-I" on everything....if it's not traumatic shock or CA, it's a medical control.

LAME.

Meanwhile, us Texan, New Mexicans, Pennsylvanianites, and even Californians are doing relevant things to help people without even thinking of asking permission in a lot of cases....

Wow, you couldn't be more incorrect on this.. I have zero issues with people who are critical of my system. As I have and will continue to say, we are not perfect. But what is truly LAME is your incessant need to make negative statements with little to no bases. If you have a question, or are unsure about something ask! I have made it more then clear that I am happy to clarify anything to anyone to the best of my ability. But your disparaging comments are not only unwanted they are are unwarranted.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Well, that's from Medic One...what is the real standard?