Injured Family

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Recently a lot of the Delaware County area has been hurting due to the potential loss of one of the best fire fighters and bravest heros we know. Steve Powers (Tater) was hurt and now the outcome of his situation is undetermined. At this exact moment he has undergone 2-3 emergencey brain surgeries and is in a drug enduced coma. They have removed parts of his brain and skull. They say that even if he does make it he may not remember us or anything and may be paralyzed on one side.

While all of this is really awful, I am taking it even harder than most people. I grew up without a father and since the day I met Tater he has given me advice that has never been wrong. He criticizes every guy I date and he is always there for me. I don't know why we got so close so fast but we did... And now I look the idea of not having him anymore right in the face.

Furthermore he is our chief's brother, so this has hit the whole fire house very hard. I have tried to keep my open crying down to a minimum, leaving at intervouls that sometimes seem innapropriate. The only person who has seem me cry over this is my ex boyfriend, whom I cry to on a regular basis.

Anyone else have expirience or advice? I would appreciate it very much.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Another prayer sent from southern California.

Take care and remember that everyone in the house is hurting so everyone needs to be talking.

Hang in there. Your "dad" needs you to be strong.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm so sorry to hear this sweetie. It is alright to be scared and upset, and to let the others see it. Chimpie is right, you all need to be going through this together. Has anyone set up a CISD for your department? You should all have one together. It will give everyone who is interested a safe forum to express their feelings, and it will bring the group closer together.

A few years ago we had a firefighter have a heart attack and drive off a cliff with his wife and granddaughter in the car. By the grace of God, his granddaughter escaped with only minor scratches and was able to climb up the hill and flag down a truck. The firefighter's wife was DOA, and we didn't even recognize the firefighter he was so beaten up and bloated from his internal injuries. It seemed like it took forever to extricate him and airlift him out. They kept his wife on ice in the morgue for 3 weeks because we all thought we'd be burying them together. The tragedy shook our department because he was one of our longest serving members and he and his wife are such sweet people. We were all shell shocked for a long time afterwards, and the CISD team came out a few days later and was very helpful for us. While he was still in the hospital, we focused on helping his daughter (single mother) and granddaughter with their day to day needs.

After several months he finally made it out of the hospital and through rehab and we are forever grateful for that.

If you haven't done something as a department yet, be the one to talk to your commissioners and tell them you all NEED a stress debriefing and/or some sort of grief counseling. If you don't feel comfortable with a group situation, they can give you one-on-one counseling, all for free. I'm pretty sure almost every city, county, or state has resources like this. Try calling your local medical director if you can't figure out where to go.

I wish you and Tater the best of luck. My prayers are with both of you.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm so sorry to hear this, I know it must be hard for you and the crew. CHimp is right, hang in there and talk, all of you should be. We'll send our prayers and wish you all the best!

Feel free to email me too if you need a friendly shoulder! We're all here for you.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Prayers are sent from Iowa to.

They all are right you all need to talk and it probley really wouldn't hurt to have a CISD team come in and vist.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
You guys have to come together as a department -brothers and sisters- and get through this.

One of the guys from my FD had been sent to Afghanistan. Six days before he was to be home, and running with my crew again he was killed. The only thing that got us all through was talking with each other. We came together as a crew and had our own personal rememberance of him; and the the department came together to help everyone through it.

Shortly after he died the man who was always an Uncle to me, was my Dad's best friend, and one hell of a FF died on scene at a brush fire. Was standing there talking on the radio and just collapsed.

One of the FF on my crew noticed something was wrong, got my crew together and we talked it out. It was such a help.

Crying is good. Worry about those that don't.

You can't force people to talk about how they feel and nobody can force them to listen to you. But you should not be ashamed or feel like you have to hide your tears. They are your feelings, you are entitled to them.

I will send a prayer your way.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My thoughts are with you and Tater, and I think everyone else has provided some great advice.

As always, we're here for you.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Prayers on their way daily from Colorado.

OP
OP
40sCutest

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you all so much! Having feedback from all of you is wonderful.

We had a CISM team come out last night. I know that being upset is normal and all but I still have a hard time crying in front of my brothers at the firehouse.

http://www.firerescuenews.com/forums/index...d=5202;start=45

has more information on the situation if you want it.

Thanks again!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Thoughts and prayers from Chesco...

Jon

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Our prayers are with all of you.

Please feel free to write or talk whenever you need to, we are all here together to listen and give support.

OP
OP
40sCutest

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you all so much for your support and prayers. Steve "Tater" Powers passed away on April 23 2005. He will be sadly missed.

OP
OP
40sCutest

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you all so much for your support and prayers. Steve "Tater" Powers passed away on April 23 2005. He will be sadly missed.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'm sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers go out to Tater's family and friends. May you all help each other get through this together.
:(

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm sorry for your loss.

Jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm so sorry to hear that, my condolences to you & yours.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I too am sorry for your loss.

My thoughts are still with you, his family, and the community.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
My prayers out to all of you.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You have my condolences.