If you could work at any EMS company or agency in the U.S. ...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
And sadly I won't see you at that test. Good luck! Heck when your done let me know. Would love to meet the man behind the forum. There probably is a Starbucks somewhere we can grab some coffee...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
And sadly I won't see you at that test. Good luck! Heck when your done let me know. Would love to meet the man behind the forum. There probably is a Starbucks somewhere we can grab some coffee...

Absolutely. I'd love to! Let me see how time shakes out. And I'm really disappointed that you're not testing. Several guys I know don't get an invite either. Now I'm really curious how many they're testing.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Williamson County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I was always impressed with Wake Co. EMS and for a while was thinking of moving down that way. In this part of the world I am pretty much limited to a few hospital-based EMS systems, a hundred or so volunteer systems, or a PD system. Not to mention FDNY, which never really interested me.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I was always impressed with Wake Co. EMS and for a while was thinking of moving down that way. In this part of the world I am pretty much limited to a few hospital-based EMS systems, a hundred or so volunteer systems, or a PD system. Not to mention FDNY, which never really interested me.
I dont see how FDNY interests many people. Low pay, short staffed, horrible protocols, and plenty of people who join jusy with the hope of "promoting" to supression

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I dont see how FDNY interests many people. Low pay, short staffed, horrible protocols, and plenty of people who join jusy with the hope of "promoting" to supression

And - almost uniquely to the area - no per-diem staff.

Not to flame (see what I did there?), but perhaps if I was in my 20s I would appreciate the allure more.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
King County Medic One tops a lot of lists. It's not my cup of tea, but it IS very well paying and they do fair amount of cool stuff, like research and shape practice for other services (HPcpr anyone?)

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
It used to be Boston EMS. Not so much anymore.

I rode along with Sussex County recently for a few days. They're now at the top of my list.

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
It used to be Boston EMS. Not so much anymore.

I rode along with Sussex County recently for a few days. They're now at the top of my list.
So just out of curiosity what is it that would make a person consider Delaware? Lol I always see DEmedic say nothing but good things but what does it really. I'm contemplating getting my P card after realizing I became the EMT old dude who should have gotten his P card awhile ago lie maybe 5 years ago. Smh.

ParamedicStudent

Forum Crew Member

A little elaboration on "horrible protocols" ? I never understood this idea. I thought protocols were more or less constant throughout the country, thats why we have our national scope, so different states and counties can vary or modify as they please. But anyways, on horrible protocols. Is it because you can do less? Less drugs, interventions, etc? Or is it horrible because of too much?

I'd figure in a compacted response area, you do way less because of the geography, but I dont think that has anything to do with protocols.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
A little elaboration on "horrible protocols" ? I never understood this idea. I thought protocols were more or less constant throughout the country, thats why we have our national scope, so different states and counties can vary or modify as they please. But anyways, on horrible protocols. Is it because you can do less? Less drugs, interventions, etc? Or is it horrible because of too much?

I'd figure in a compacted response area, you do way less because of the geography, but I dont think that has anything to do with protocols.
The national standards set a baseline competency that everyone should be capable of doing. There are some places, like Texas, that protocols and guidelines can vary widely from area to area and medical director to medical director (ie: central line, pericardiocentesis, and chest tube placement in my old county in TX vs the DFD restricted system). NY just is not progressive in their protocols, with a decent amount of mother-may-i that you don't see in a lot of places.
There is no true national scope of practice.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Sadly, very few areas actually use the national scope of practice but are MUCH MUCH more conservative locally.

Having worked civilian side and having licenses in PA, MD, DC, and VA at the same time it was insanely how different I could do things depending on which state I was in, or picking the patient up from. Just crossing the border from PA to MD, my usable med bag dropped by over half.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Oooo... Staff medic position at the Bunny Ranch? I think I'm going to send an email to inquire about their safety positions...
Sounds like a job where you spend the day giving PCN shots... To dudes.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Well, AMR in Vegas does neither fire or rescue.
What are you talking about? I just rescued a drunk girl from rolling all over the floor almost into her own vomit just this morning.
;)

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
That's different than half my Army time, how?

(shrug) It should be amusing, plus a company discount, mixed side perks... :)
Lol

Good point!