Hurricane Sandy

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wait... your ambulances have working windshield wipers? Did you guys at least replace the blades before you took off?

That was already done PTA when we picked up the ambulances in Ohio. The whole windshield wiper is missing (metal are that connects it to the motor).

In NY until the roads open back up and then we will be down in NJ.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I was actually thinking of the rubber blades... you know... considering how often we use windshield wipers in So. Cal.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Lots of wind here in PA, but no calls yet. Power in the area is out, but we still have cable. Life is good.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
As a NJ EMT, i agree with the Gov. We went to all the residents in the flood areas sunday and told them to leave. There are some people who we cant get to. I have told people on the phone that they will not be rescued and will have to ride the storm out. We gave everyone fair warning. If they chose to ignore us, then they get what they get.

It isn't his point I had a problem with, it was the delivery. When addressing the general populous of the state you are governor of, it is a good idea not to sound like a heartless :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Depends. If the emergency management officials tell you to get out because a huge storm is coming and your area is going to flood, and you ignore them, who's fault is it that you need to be rescued? Isn't that being a total penis to everyone who is now risking their lives to save yours because you thought you could ride out a huge storm and were wrong.

As a side note, I feel the same way about penises who decide not to evacuate when wild fires are coming their way despite ample time.

I think maybe you have to watch it. He comes off like a total jerk who doesn't give a rats arse. I watched one of them at work with a co-worker who is a die hard conservative (not republican, conservative) and even he said it was pretty harsh (and he likes Chris Christie).

EMSrush

Forum Captain
And how is everyone doing?

We've had some rain on and off since 3pm. Windy, a few trees down. Nothing too major so far. Most transports have been postponed until Wednesday or clear weather, whichever comes first. 911 calls haven't slowed down, of course.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As a NJ EMT, i agree with the Gov. We went to all the residents in the flood areas sunday and told them to leave. There are some people who we cant get to. I have told people on the phone that they will not be rescued and will have to ride the storm out. We gave everyone fair warning. If they chose to ignore us, then they get what they get.

I find it refreshing to hear someone saying the truth.

Seeing the reporters doing live feeds, it looks like a LOT of the various boardwalks are damaged/gone. High tide was a little while ago, with the full moon, conditions are right for record coastal flooding.

There are some photos out there of the North Wildwood FD guys fighting a fire in floodwaters with an engine on an Army flatbed trailer. Pretty genius.

Oh, and here's that reporter doing the live feed:
[YOUTUBE]L9fhxa8yFb0[/YOUTUBE]

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
atubynuv.jpg

Staging from Stewart Air National Guard Base, NY. 35 ambulances.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably not going to happen. The best thing to do is work for am agency that that does national mobilization. Then you are covered.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Where would out-of-state EMTs go to get temporary reciprocity to help out in State-of-emergency areas?

you wouldnt! freelancers and do-gooders are generally frowned upon in any of these large scale activities. it is too hard to keep track of the helpers.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Ahhhh guess who is on stand by!?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
you wouldnt! freelancers and do-gooders are generally frowned upon in any of these large scale activities. it is too hard to keep track of the helpers.
This.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Anjel

Forum Angel
Just be safe! I still hope I get to join you guys out there whenI get home :)

I don't know what I am supposed to pack to be self sufficient for 72 hours.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Where would out-of-state EMTs go to get temporary reciprocity to help out in State-of-emergency areas?

Alright. Before we hijack this thread:
If you want to help, and aren't with an agency that has been contacted by an appropriate command authority to standby/mobilize - Go give blood, or donate canned food, or money. And read this thread: http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=16812

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
FEMA just put a call into my county manager and requested 100 more ambulances to deploy immediately to NJ.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't know what I am supposed to pack to be self sufficient for 72 hours.

go to amr.net, then click DRT up near the top, and download the packing list. It should help a little