How many survived your EMT class?

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
There was 30 of us the first day. Half couldnt pass the initial test they gave us. We had the last class last week and only 9 of us passed.

wow.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Wooo Hooo, I dont know how many others passed yet but I just got my score of 98.2% on our final exam!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
There was 30 of us the first day. Half couldnt pass the initial test they gave us. We had the last class last week and only 9 of us passed.

Sounds like a really great program....or a very marginal program with remarkably poor admissions standards.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
We had about thirty to start. Sixteen made it to the last week, 15 to the written final, 14 to skills, everyone who got to skills testing passed.

Everyone who's taken the NR so far has passed on their first try.

Hannah

Forum Ride Along
My class started out with 22-25; midway through the course we dropped down to 16 people. . .and only 5-7 passed the final exam (and we still have the certifaction exam left).
Thankfully, I was one of those 5-7 people.

Nicolas

Forum Ride Along
Our class started with 35 and ended with 12. The coursework wasn't hard, and the instructor was great. People just joined thinking it would be all fun and games... which it was, kinda. 5 passed NR 1st try, 5 on the second, 2 have yet to retest.

Last edited by a moderator:

kpuente

Forum Ride Along
Sounds like a really great program....or a very marginal program with remarkably poor admissions standards.

It was through a good program and great hospital in Cleveland Ohio. The initial test they gave us, you had to score at least a tenth grade level. Sadly, half couldn't do that. They said they do that, so they dont waste people's money and time. The few of us that did passed, a couple people thought it was all a joke and games. Those couple people couldn't pass their final and practicals.

robbaN28

Forum Probie
I think we started with 25 and are down to 20. We have a couple of really good instructors and our lab assistants are awesome. Final exam tomorrow!

firecoins

IFT Puppet

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Twenty one started, one failed because she missed too many classes, one got dropped after a double-fail on the midterm, one just quit, and one that somehow made it through to the finals despite a complete lack of knowledge quit before taking the practicals. One kid is still fifteen and he and his partner are waiting one month for him to be 16 and take their practicals together. Of the 16 that went for their practicals, all but one passed. Written state test tonight.

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
My Basic class started out with 35 and only 25 made it past the midterm (some of them couldnt meet the passing grade so they were dropped). Of that 25, I think only 20 went on to take the final. I have no idea how many took the certification test, but I do know that I have 2 classmates in my Cardiac class (Intermediate in RI) now.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Just finished my EMT-IV class. We started with 25 and were down to 20 on the day of our National Registry Practical. We all passed. Now for the CBT, we'll see.

EMTCADET092

Forum Ride Along
is the classes really hard? I'm only 17 and still is going to be in HS when the classes start (June 14). It's the usaual 120 Hrs i think.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
is the classes really hard? I'm only 17 and still is going to be in HS when the classes start (June 14). It's the usaual 120 Hrs i think.

The material, in itself, is literally so easy a caveman could do it. There is a fair amount of memorization, but it's very easily doable if you just do it.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Actually I wouldn't go so far as to say it's that easy. Not hard by any stretch of the mind, but you have to remember that most people are coming in with no medical background and expected learn the basics of medicine pretty quickly.

Sure, not in any real depth, and it depends on your program, but it's still basic medicine nonetheless. I mean, I hardly studied and still got 2nd in my class... but I did the same thing in medic school--- hardly studied and still got solutatorian.

There IS a reason why there is typically a pretty decent fail rate--- and it's not because it's easier than finger painting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Actually I wouldn't go so far as to say it's that easy. Not hard by any stretch of the mind, but you have to remember that most people are coming in with no medical background and expected learn the basics of medicine pretty quickly.

Sure, not in any real depth, and it depends on your program, but it's still basic medicine nonetheless. I mean, I hardly studied and still got 2nd in my class... but I did the same thing in medic school--- hardly studied and still got solutatorian.

There IS a reason why there is typically a pretty decent fail rate--- and it's not because it's easier than finger painting.

i think its because those failures never opened the book or what i noticed in my class was all the guys would say "im tryin to be a firefighter..derrrr..." or "so can i do HEMS with an EMT-B license"...stupid stuff like that... i know a LOT of ppl blow it off because they all wanna be medics and give drugs and blah blah blah.. but you have to know ur basic skills before you move on. quite a few people dont realize that. LOL.