How many survived your EMT class?

EMTNJA

Forum Probie
31 started...3 dropped out after 1 day....28 until half way through...then down to about 22...not sure how many actually passed NR...

Spirit

Forum Ride Along
"We lost 3 people in the first week because they couldn't take being picked on XD"

I know I'm older than most of the posters here and not up to date on what the cool kids are sayin these days but WTF does that even mean?

"Couldn't take being picked on..." Was this an EMT class or high school?

John E

It means one guy left the school and went to a different one because we nicknamed him skittles. And the age range in my class was 17-42, with the majority in their mid-late 20's. Yeah, its comepltly retarded but hey thats how people are in jacksonville florida lol.

And an update, only half my class passed the final practical. I'm happy to be one of the ones that did.

Fox

Forum Crew Member
We started with 30 and we're down to about 16-18. We have several who just show up as they feel the need.

They won't pass, if you miss more than 5 days with no valid excuse it fails you.

We had a few drop out after the Dean of Medicine gave his speech about money and how if you wanted to be rich, switch to Nursing. We lost more during his speech about not being able to save every life. We lost one that was faced with a emergency situation of a personal nature and realized it wasn't something he could handle after that. (It was very, very traumatic.)

As for who will get certified? Not a lot in my class. Not being rude, they won't study, they fail a lot of their check offs and tests, they don't put effort into learning. They take off early, etc. If they do pass, oh god.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
My class started with 28 people, we lost one kid on our first day and I think only 24 people passed the class. I don't know how many others went on to get certified. Just curious what the attrition rate in other people's classes was.

Furthermore, how many of those that 'survived' passed the national or state exam?

I am not sure how many passed my emt class (i think almost everyone), though in the past year only 4 passed the NREMT.....

Stephanie.

Forum Captain

Last edited by a moderator:

Whittier

Forum Probie
They won't pass, if you miss more than 5 days with no valid excuse it fails you.

That's interesting... we can't miss more than 3 days with or without an excuse.

My class started big and it's still pretty big. Even the kids who didn't seem to care too much at the beginning are hanging in there after the midterm. I don't know if we just have good teachers or what... but so far I'm pleased.

Fox

Forum Crew Member
That's interesting... we can't miss more than 3 days with or without an excuse.

My class started big and it's still pretty big. Even the kids who didn't seem to care too much at the beginning are hanging in there after the midterm. I don't know if we just have good teachers or what... but so far I'm pleased.

If you aren't making a 100% you'll fail after the second or third absence. It takes a chunk out of your grade, increases by 5 after a certain number.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
On average I/C's can expect to lose 20% of his/her students for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I lose more, sometimes less. NR only looks at first round pass rates but I'll keep track on first and second attempts. It takes a year for an instructor to see an accurate pass / fail rate IMHO.

I remember my emt school made a big deal out of everyone passing the nremt first time. They claimed to have had the highest nremt first time pass rate in the entire country last year, like 98%. I dont know for sure if my class kept up their good record or not, the students I kept in touch with all passed first time. I think we lost maybe a third of the class from start to finish.

Emt_Wolfe

Forum Ride Along
EMT Class

My class was about 30 people and only about 15 made it through to take the qualifying exam. It was a tough class, and it was all packed into 11 weeks. Most of the people in my class were young like 18-20 years old with one 26 year old girl with 2 kids, and another girl 32 years old with 3 kids. I was the oldest in the class...lol...I am 34 years old and have 4 kids, but I made it through. I could not believe that by midterm so many people dropped or failed their 3rd exam. What got me is the scenerios on the exams and it got many people because this job is not a clear cut and dry answer on many situations.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

I don't care if you have a valid reason....a valid reason for missing more than two classes (meaning you were in the hospital or ordered to stay home by a doc, had jury duty, etc) should simply be a reason why the institution should allow you to join the next class without having to pay for the program a second time.

jerm

Forum Ride Along
Our class was set up that if you failed a test, you would receive a chance at a make up test. If you failed the make up, then you were out. My class had one person quit after the second class and another that failed out after the first test. The other 28 of us completed the course and passed. I am curious to know how many are going to pass the NR though.

Cleaver68

Forum Probie
Our class started with about 25-30 people. At the end of the semester there were 14 that took the final, and only 6 that passed it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We lost two. I don't see how that many people failed out of basic. It's not like it's rocket science

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
With the regular EMT-B one over here, you can make it through the whole class, if you fail the final test your done. Must make a 75% or better on it.

Cleaver68

Forum Probie
We lost two. I don't see how that many people failed out of basic. It's not like it's rocket science

It is to some people. 3 people walked out the first day after our program director said anybody with a felony can't take the class lol.

It was mostly because people didn't study, and they tried getting by by arguing every question they got wrong.

Cleaver68

Forum Probie
With the regular EMT-B one over here, you can make it through the whole class, if you fail the final test your done. Must make a 75% or better on it.

That's how it was in my class too, you can be passing the whole time but if you don't pass the final you fail the class. Only difference was we had to get 80%

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That's how it was in my class too, you can be passing the whole time but if you don't pass the final you fail the class. Only difference was we had to get 80%

That's the way my basic and medic classes both were. Sounds like a decent way of doing it

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Definitely. I wouldn't want somebody saving my life who only got a 60 in the class lol

Except grade on a test doesn't always translate to knowledge or ability...

2 tests can be written in the way where they test the same exact info, but one can be made MUCH easier than another.

Cleaver68

Forum Probie
Except grade on a test doesn't always translate to knowledge or ability...

2 tests can be written in the way where they test the same exact info, but one can be made MUCH easier than another.

Ain't that the truth. I thought the NR was WAY easier then my class final.